Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Gold G.A.R. Medal

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    Gold G.A.R. Medal - Ornate Civil War Union Veteran's Medal.  Constructed of Gold and silver with an enamel background.  The corps badge is engraved "171st OVI".  Belonging to Jacob Stanbaugh.  Presented by the Tod post 29 to him as Commander in 1914. 

    Jacob Stambaugh

    Residence was not listed;

    Enlisted on 4/27/1864 as a 1st Lieutenant.

    On 5/7/1864 he was commissioned into Field & Staff OH 171st Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 8/20/1864 at Johnson's Island, Sandusky, OH


    * 1st Lieut 5/7/1864 (1st Lieut & Quartermaster)


    One Hundred and Seventy-first Infantry. - Col., Joel F. Asper; Lieut.-Col., Heman R. Harmon; Maj., Manning A. Fowler. This regiment was organized at Sandusky, May 7, 1864, to serve for 100 days.  It was composed of the 51st battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Trumbull county; 14th battalion, from Portage county; 85th battalion, from Lake county; and the 86th battalion, from Geauga county.  It was ordered to Johnson's island, where it was engaged in guard and fatigue duty until June 9, when it was ordered to Covington, Ky., reporting on arrival to Gen. Hobson.  It was then placed on cars and ordered to Cynthiana, but on arriving at Keller's bridge it debarked, where it was attacked by a force of Morgan's cavalry, in which engagement the regiment lost 13 killed and 54 wounded.  Soon after the fight at Keller's bridge, Morgan was pressed so closely that he was compelled to parole his prisoners, who made their way to Augusta, whence they were taken on boats to Covington and then transferred to Camp Dennison, where they joined the regiment.  The regiment moved from Camp Dennison to Johnson's island, where it remained until Aug. 20, 1864, when it was mustered out on expiration of term of service.

    Report of Col. Joel F. Asper, One hundred and seventy-first Ohio Infantry.

    COLUMBUS, OHIO, June 20, 1864.

    CAPT.: I have the honor to report to headquarters Northern Department a full account of the march of my regiment from Johnson's Island into Kentucky (Gen. Burbridge's district), with an account of the disaster which occurred to it there, together with the condition and situation of the field officers, as well as the situation and condition of the line officers and men since their capture by Gen. Morgan.

    About 8 a.m. June 9 instant I received an order for the march of my regiment to Covington, Ky., to report to Brig. Gen. E. H. Hobson, eight companies being on Johnson's Island on duty. A copy of the order is annexed, marked Exhibit A. My orders issued at once, and preparations were commenced by cooking rations, &c. At 10.30 o'clock I received a copy of a dispatch from Gen. Heintzelman, and was ordered to march at once. A copy of the dispatch is annexed as Exhibit B. The cooking of the rations ceased, and in one hour and a half the regiment was on the march. It was taken across the bay, loaded, and at 4 p.m. the train started for Cincinnati. At Springfield it was delayed two hours waiting for our baggage and horses, which had been stopped at Urbana with the train containing Twenty-fourth Ohio Battery. I arrived at Cincinnati at 1 p.m. on the 10th. Here I was ordered to report at Col. Marker's headquarters, which I did. I made requisition for two days' rations and 30,000 rounds of ammunition, crossed the Ohio River, and reported to Gen. Hobson about 4 o'clock of the 10th. In pursuance of orders I placed my command in light marching order; loaded it on the train; also assisted to load over 300 horses. A copy of the written order received by me is annexed and marked Exhibit C.

    When ready to move I reported in person to Gen. Hobson, and was ordered to move my train at once, proceed to Cynthiana, and await orders. The train moved about 10 p.m. Having heard that a small body of rebels or guerrillas had been seen near the railroad about twenty-five  miles up the track, I gave the strictest orders to guard against any surprise, ordering sentinels posted in each car, the men to be ready with guns and accouterments, and all line officers to remain with their commands. We proceeded without interruption to Keller's Bridge, over the Licking River, which is about one mile over the railroad track and two miles by the dirt road from Cynthiana. The bridge had been burned by Morgan's men two or three days before. On Thursday the One hundred and sixty-eight Regt. Ohio National Guard, Col. Garis, had been sent up this railroad, dropped in detachments along its line, with five companies under Col. Garis in Cynthiana. This I had been advised of. The train arrived at Keller's Bridge at 4 o'clock in the morning. I  immediately ordered my men out of the cars, had them stack arms on the left of the track, the ground offering a good position for defense. I had details made, and the rations and ammunition unloaded and distributed, and our private horses taken from the train. On getting out I placed a picket, consisting of one company, on duty, on the top of the hill which overlooked the valley and much of the country about. Having  taken off our regimental stores, and while the men were putting rations and ammunition into haversacks and cartridge-boxes, I then went to inquire about getting off the Government horses, four car-loads of which were on my train. I went back to the second train, which had followed us closely, and in a short time found Capt. Butler, assistant adjutant-general on Gen. Hobson's staff, who directed me to make a detail of 230 men and 10 officers to mount a portion of the horses, and this detail was to get the horses out of the train. I ordered the detail made, and the adjutant set about it. About this time picket-firing had  been commenced at the town in our advance. I was also notified by a man from my advance company that a large cavalry force was moving on our right. I saddled my horse, rode to the point of observation, saw a considerable force which I knew was rebel cavalry. At this time the sergeant-major of Col. Garis' regiment came to me and reported that colonel Garis had been attacked by 1,500 of Morgan's cavalry; that he would hold the town as long as he could, and wished me to come to his assistance as speedily as possible. I ordered the lieutenant-colonel to form the line, and rode back and reported to Capt. Butler. He directed me to wait until Gen. Hobson should come forward. He soon came forward. My line was forming in good style, faced toward the rebel approach. By the time Gen. Hobson came up, a large column of cavalry was coming down the road toward us, either for the purpose of getting between us and Col. Garis or to get to colonel Garis' rear; and by direction of Gen. Hobson, I placed two companies, under command of Maj. Fowler, on a point of the hill across the railroad. These companies opened fire upon the column immediately and drove it back, several saddles being emptied at the first fire. I had in my command 690 officers and men. This included musicians, hospital attendants, and all supernumeraries. There were about 100 men of different detachments on Gen. Hobson's train, mostly from Kentucky regiments. These men and one company from my regiment were thrown forward as skirmishers, Gen. Hobson assuming command of the whole force, and Capt. Butler, of the staff, having charge of the skirmish line. The battle opened about 5 o'clock in the morning. It was hotly contested on both sides. The force directly opposing us from the start was Col.  Giltner's brigade, of Morgan's command, 1,500 strong, armed with the Enfield rifle. This brigade dismounted and advanced as infantry. We held them in check and drove them back twice, and had there been no other force, we should have been the victors on the field. Between 11 and 12 o'clock another brigade came into our rear and took position in a wheat-field; besides, another had flanked around and took position on our right flank and rear. This was commanded by Col. Martin, and the other by Gen. Morgan in person. I made disposition of my exhausted and scattered command to meet it. I placed all I could spare from my front line against a high fence to our rear where they would be partially protected by the two fences of a lane. By the time the  dispositions could be made a flag of truce was seen approaching our lines. I was directed by Gen. Hobson to receive it. I went out and met Capt. Morgan, of Gen. Morgan's staff. He carried a demand from Gen. Morgan for our surrender as prisoners of war. I started to report to Gen. Hobson, and on my way was summoned to meet another flag carried by the rebel Col. Martin. I replied to him that I was considering then a demand from Gen. Morgan. I reported to Gen. Hobson. He asked my opinion about it. I told him that I could hold out an hour longer, but that the end was plainly to be seen unless relief was at hand, and we knew of none. Gen. Hobson thought I could not hold out more than twenty minutes, or thirty at most. We were unanimous in the conclusion that from the exhausted condition of the men, having been fighting six hours without rest or water, that we could not hold out much longer if attacked vigorously from front, rear, and flanks, and to save the slaughter that must ensue from such an attack policy and duty alike required a surrender. Col. Garis had surrendered as we believed more than four hours before. No firing had been heard from that quarter since early in the morning, and a scout we had sent to ascertain the result had been driven back by rebel pickets. I was then deputed to arrange the terms of surrender, which I did with Capt. Morgan. The terms were: Gen. Hobson's forces to surrender unconditionally as prisoners of war; the officers to retain their side-arms; all private property to belong to the captors. After Gen. Morgan rode up he said we had made so gallant a fight that we should all have our horses. Lieut.-Col. Harmon had a valuable horse which Col. Martin insisted upon keeping, and he was permitted by Gen. Morgan to do so, but with this exception the terms as modified by Gen. Morgan were strictly observed. I was ordered to form my command, stack arms, and march them off, and then make a list of names, companies, and regiments. Before this could be done they were ordered away under a guard, the field officers being detained with  Gen. Hobson and staff.

    Our loss was 14 killed and 45 wounded. My surgeon stated to me on his way down Covington that he thought our loss in killed and wounded would reach 75 or 80. I have no means of stating accurately, having been separated from the command since the surrender. Our loss in  prisoners is about 500, some men having escaped.

    I fought my command as well as I could and to the best possible advantage, Gen. Hobson giving no general directions during the battle besides his personal assistance to keep the men up to the work. Gen. Hobson surrendered only when to have held out longer would have been mere idle bravado, and would have induced reckless and wholesale slaughter.

    I cannot speak too highly of the conduct of most of my officers and  men. Two or three officers failed to do their duty, and some men skulked away; but no more than is usual in most regiments. Most of  these men had never been under fire, but they fought splendidly, coolly,  and behaved like veterans.

    Gen. Hobson was cool, brave, and judicious; was exposed all the time to the rebel fire, and deserves well of the Government.  My own horse was shot under me and disabled, and I had several other evidences of the close firing of rebel sharpshooters, but escaped unhurt.

    The foregoing account the battle of Keller's Bridge is preliminary, and quite necessary to a full understanding of the anomalous condition of Gen. Hobson and staff and the field officers of my regiment.

    After the surrender Gen. Morgan proposed to send Gen. Hobson  and staff, together with the field officers of my regiment, out under a flag of truce to get into communication with the military authorities for the purpose of securing a special exchange of ourselves, and to secure an exchange of our men for some of his own then held as prisoners in Kentucky; or if this could not be effected, that our Government might be induced to accept his parole of them, so that they would be accounted for by the Richmond Government; and if we failed to secure an exchange, then we must return and report to Gen. Morgan as prisoners. Gen. Hobson refused at first to go into the arrangement.

    After consultation, I advised that it be done for the benefit of our officers and soldiers, who are only 100-days' men, as it would be peculiarly hard to take these men south to languish in Southern prisons for several months, and I believed the Government would not permit it. It was then agreed to accept the proposition of Gen. Morgan. Gen. Morgan and Gen. Hobson agreed upon the terms of a paper to be signed. It was drawn up in pencil and signed by us all. Inspector-Gen. Allen, of Gen. Morgan's staff, then drew one in ink, and in doing so added to it a general parole. This we refused to sign; first, because it was not according to agreement; and second, because we absolutely refused to accept a general parole. It was then changed as agreed upon first, and signed. Annexed is a true copy of this paper, marked Exhibit D.*

    The paper being signed horses obtained (Gen. Morgan had ordered a horse given me to replace my disabled one), with an ambulance for those who had no horses, Gen. Hobson's and staff's horses being on the train, which had been run back, thrown from the track, and destroyed, we started for some point where communication could be had with the military authorities by telegraph. We expected to find such communication at Boyd's Station, on the Kentucky Central Railroad, but the operator had abandoned the station, and we proceeded to Falmouth, where we arrived Sunday evening. Our escort was Capt. C. C. Morgan, aide-de-camp, and Surgeon Goode, of Gen. Morgan's staff, Maj. Chenoweth, of the line, a Mr. Voorhies, said to be a soldier, lately joined them at Lexington, and an ambulance driver, who was also a soldier. These men were all armed. Voorhies carried a flag of truce in advance. We were received into our lines at Falmouth; the rebel officers were assigned quarters and kept close. Gen. Hobson immediately placed himself in communication with Gen. Burbridge, his superior officer, commanding the District of Kentucky, and the result is, two telegrams, copies of which are annexed as Exhibit E.

    On Friday morning Gen. Hobson and staff, in pursuance of said telegrams, started overland for Lexington (having first obtained permission to go that way), to report to Gen. Burbridge, taking with them the rebel officers and men, and myself and the other field officers of my regiment came to Cincinnati, as directed by Gen. Burbridge, and from thence I came on here to report, leaving the lieutenant-colonel and major at Cincinnati. The regiment, with the line officers, was paroled on Sunday after the battle between Gen. Morgan and Gen.  Burbridge.

    Capt. Morris, one of my captains, who was present and participated in the whole matter, reports as follows: On Saturday evening, after our surrender, the prisoners, comprising all they had taken at Mount Sterling, Lexington, and Cynthiana, and those from our regiment, about 1,300, were started off on the Claysville pike, and marched about six miles. In the morning they were started up and marched about ten miles on the double-quick. At length they were halted, the officers called to the front and center, and they were then offered horses to ride, provided they would give their parole of honor that they would not attempt to escape. While discussing the matter, Capt. Morris asked permission for an interview with Gen. Morgan, which was granted. Capt. Morris stepped to Gen. Morgan and told him that this treatment was not according to the terms of the surrender. Gen. Morgan replied that he was aware of that, but that circumstances altered cases, and said to Capt. Morris if the officers would agree to respect their parole he would parole them and let them go. Capt. Morris told him he would report to the other officers and let them decide, which he did, and they all agreed to accept a parole and respect it. They were then paroled. A copy of this parole is annexed and marked Exhibit F. The inspector-general then mounted Capt. Morris and compelled him to ride along the lines with him, and he then told the men they were paroled, administering to them some oath, or some sort of obligation.

    They were started to August, thence to Cincinnati, and by your orders have been transferred to Camp Dennison. They are there now in a very uncomfortable condition; some have gone home (the officers and men of the One hundred and sixty-eighth Ohio National Guard have all gone home), and they say, as reported to me,  as I came along, that they insist upon being exchanged before being sent to duty again, as they gave a solemn oath not to take up arms until exchanged, because if they are expect to be murdered if captured again. I make this statement in their behalf and ask action upon it.

    The question submitted, upon which a decision of the Government is asked, is whether these line officers and men, not having been reduced within the permanent lines of the rebel armies, are prisoners of war at all; and whether Gen. Morgan in letting them go with a parole, however formal, did not in fact abandon them, and they are thereby liberated. There may be some doubt upon the subject, but whatever the strict legal right may be under the cartel, still I believe it would be policy on the part of the Government to accept this parole and exchange them at once, in order that they be again put into the field. It will place them in a condition to go to duty more willingly and heartily, and not with the fear that if again captured they would be murdered. They have yet about two months and a half to serve. Gen. Hobson and staff and the field officers are under a different obligation. Their parole binds them to return if a special exchange cannot be effected. They were treated with kindness and courtesy and do not desire or wish to violate their pledge. Although the proposition came from Gen. Morgan, yet it was for our benefit, for if not accepted we would have been mounted on fresh horses and run into Gen. Branch's [Vance's?] lines as soon as possible. This they told us after it had been arranged. If the principle of the cartel that we were not reduced to possession within the permanent lines of the army liberates us, we desire that the Government assume the responsibility of so deciding and then to protect us. I would beg the authorities to consider thoroughly, first, the point whether the  agreement partly executed is not equivalent to being reduced to possession; whether in fact it was not such reduction of possession as to bring us within the provisions of the cartel. But in either case we are not to decide, and it will be for us to act as the authorities shall order. The arrangement was made in good faith and we desire it carried out.  I would beg to ask the Government to be liberal in their action upon this matter, as well as in the construction of the rules of war under which it must be decided. We have fought hard and bravely, and to some  purpose, too, as a short statement will show.

    Gen. Morgan had planned to sweep down the Licking River Valley, plunder as he went, ride into Covington, plunder and burn it, then turn the guns of the fortifications upon the city of Cincinnati, shell it until he was satisfied, then turn up the Ohio and ride out of the State via Maysville and Pound Gap. He had burned the bridges at Paris and Cynthiana to prevent troops following him on the railroad; he had made  a feint upon Frankfort, to draw off Gen. Burbridge, which he partially succeeded in doing. He had fresh horses, was twenty-four  hours the start, with no force at Covington, and none on the line of march except ours. Our fight was so obstinate and protracted that the fighting, taking care of his killed and wounded and the prisonersd etained him until Gen. Burbridge could come up. The rebel officers admitted that this was Gen. Morgan's plan, and that they had been checked in the execution by our fight. Gen. Burbridge was able in a short and decisive fight to completely rout Gen. Morgan's forces so that they were compelled to fly the State in a scattered condition. We beg to be allowed to believe that we have, by our sacrifice, rendered the Government and our own State some service, and ask to have these questions considered fairly, and to be liberally and fairly dealt with by our Government.

    I have the honor, captain, to be, your most obedient servant,

    J. F. ASPER,  Col. 171st Regt. Ohio National Guard.

    Capt. C. H. POTTER, Asst. Adjt. Gen., Northern Department, Columbus, Ohio.

    SPECIAL ORDERS, No. 124. HDQRS. U. S. FORCES,  JOHNSON'S ISLAND AND SANDUSKY, Johnson's Island, Ohio, June 9, 1864.

    5. Pursuant to orders from Maj.-Gen. Heintzelman, commanding Northern Department, Col. J. F. Asper will immediately prepare so much of his regiment (the One hundred and seventy-first Ohio National Guard) as remains at this post, to move by rail from Sandusky to Covington, Ky., via Cincinnati, and will, at Covington, report to  Brig. Gen. E. H. Hobson for duty. The regiment will take camp and garrison equipage and four days' cooked rations, and be in every way prepared for field services. It will take tents of a new issue from Capt. L. M. Brooks, assistant quartermaster. The regiment will be ready to leave this post at 3 o'clock this afternoon, and will turn over to Capt. Brooks, assistant quartermaster, and leave it tents and quarters now in use standing, and in as perfect condition as they are now in. Capt. L. M. Brooks, assistant quartermaster, will furnish transportation, to be ready at the earliest moment possible.

    By command of Col. Charles W. Hill:

    A. N. MEAD, Capt. and Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.


    COLUMBUS, June 8, 1864.  (Received Sandusky, Ohio, 8.30 a.m. 9th.)

    Col. CHARLES W. HILL,  Cmdg. Johnson's Island:

    Have the One hundred and seventy-first Ohio, Col. Asper, ready for field service at a moment's notice. The service will be temporary.

    S. P. HEINTZELMAN,  Maj.-Gen., Cmdg.


    COVINGTON, KY., June 10, 1864.  Col. ASPER,                                                                   

    One hundred and seventy-first Ohio:

    Move at once with your regiment on to Cynthiana, on the train. Report in person, or by an officer, when you are about to start.

    By order of Brig.-Gen. Hobson:

    J. S. BUTLER, Assistant Adjutant-Gen.


    LEXINGTON, June 14, 1864.  (Received 15th.)

    Brig. Gen. E. H. HOBSON:

    The general commanding considers no officers and men prisoners of war except such as Morgan retained and took off with him, and directs that you and your staff report here for duty as soon as practicable, and that the three rebel officers be held as prisoners.


    LEXINGTON, June 15, 1864.  (Received 16th.)

    Gen. E. H. HOBSON:

    The general commanding directs that yourself and staff and Lieut. J. W. Arnett, Fifty-second Kentucky, come here via Louisville, and bring with you the rebel officers and private as prisoners of war. The Ohio 100-days' officers had better go to Cincinnati.

    J. BATES DICKSON, Assistant Adjutant-Gen.


    NEAR CLAYSVILLE, KY., June 12, 1864. We, the undersigned officers of the Army of the United States, having been captured by Brig. Gen. John H. Morgan, of the C. S. Army, do hereby give our parole of honor not to engage in military service against the Confederate States until duly exchanged for officers of equal rank.


    B. H. ALLEN,  Inspector-Gen., Morgan's Cavalry.

    Report of Capt. Richard O. Swindler, One hundred and seventy-first Ohio Infantry.

    HDQRS. 171ST REGT. OHIO NATIONAL GUARD,  Cincinnati, June 14, 1864.

    GEN.: I have the honor to report that the detachment of the One hundred and seventy-first Regt. Ohio National Guard, consisting of all the companies except Companies E and K, and containing about 500 men, left Covington, pursuant to order from department headquarters, on the evening of the 10th instant, under command of Col. J. F. Asper, for Cynthiana, at which place the detachment arrived on the morning of the 11th at 3 o'clock, or rather at Keller's Bridge, which had been burned, and is some mile and a half north of Cynthiana.

    Between 4 and 5 o'clock sharp firing was heard from the direction of Cynthiana, which continuing for some time, the command at Keller's Bridge was formed, under direction of Col. Asper, and very soon after the enemy was seen approaching in some force mounted, and were fired upon, and they fell back. About this time Gen. Hobson took command and further disposition of the forces was made. Not far from 7 o'clock the enemy appeared in large force west of the position occupied by us; they dismounted and advanced upon us with loud yells, opening a fierce and well sustained fire, and were resolutely met by our troops and held at bay. After a contest of considerable duration, the enemy having partially flanked our right wing, Companies A and G, which composed it, were ordered to fall back a few rods, which they did under a galling fire, suffering some loss in killed, wounded, and prisoners. The fight continued without lull through the whole length of our front, until between 11 and 12 o'clock, the combatants on both sides taking cover as much as the ground would allow. Several attempts were made to turn our left flank, every one of which failed, and after the last attempt the enemy retired rapidly and in disorder. Large forces of cavalry had been seen passing over the hills in different directions, and fearing an attempt to get in our rear Gen. [Hobson] had ordered small parties to protect the two fords, one to the left and one to the right of our rear, but soon after the firing ceased it was observed that Morgan had thrown large forces across the river, and was approaching in line of battle on two sides, east and south, while Gilter's (or Giltner's) forces had reformed in front. A flag of truce was then sent in, and terms of surrender were  offered and accepted; the officers to retain their side-arms, and private property of the soldiers to be respected. Gen. Hobson and staff, Col. Asper, Lieut.-Col. Harmon, and Maj. Fowler started  with a flag of truce, under escort, to communicate with general commanding department touching exchange of officers and parole of men, since which nothing has been heard of the party by the  undersigned, excepting newspaper reports. After the surrender many of the arms were burned on the field by order of Morgan as worthless, and the others put into the hands of his unarmed recruits. The line officers and men were marched to town, where the afternoon was spent in  preparations for paroling the prisoners, name, and descriptive lists being  prepared, &c. In the evening we were marched out of town, together with those of other commands previously taken, and turned into an open field without food and but few blankets. The night was very chilly, and  on Sunday morning we were marched out on the Augusta road, taking our line of march by 4 o'clock. We were made to double-quick, miles in succession, fording Licking River, at Claysville, waist deep, and smaller streams many times. Blankets, shoes, and all impediments were thrown away, and with bleeding feet many of the prisoners continued to march only because threatened with death if they fell out. Having reached a distance of perhaps twenty-odd miles, by the route taken, and still without a morsel of food, the officers were told by Morgan if they would accept a parole for themselves and men he would grant it; if not, he would parole the men and take the officers with [him] to Richmond or other point in the Confederacy-mounted, if they would give the parole of honor not to escape; on foot, and at double-quick, if they would not give such parole. The line officers present, consisting of all who had been in the fight, except Lieut. Earl, of Company I, accepted the parole for themselves and men. The men were also sworn not to bear arms against the Southern Confederacy, or do other military service, till exchanged or released from parole, under the penalty of death. They did not sign any paper. A copy of the parole taken by the officers is herewith transmitted.* The whole number of paroled men and officers belonging to the One hundred and seventy-first Regt. is about 400, but the undersigned can not state accurately now for want of reports. A descriptive list was not furnished Gen. Morgan, but the names of the men were given him. After being paroled the men were some twenty-two miles from Augusta on the pike, on which for a considerable part of the way stone had been  newly broken and was so sharp as to cut shoes. The country had been entirely stripped of food, the men had eaten little, many nothing since  Friday evening, their clothing insufficient, and the undersigned being senior captain, put in command by Col. Asper immediately after surrender, thought best to reach Augusta by the night of the 12th. This was done by dark, the men having marched on that day over forty miles, though unused to marching, being composed of farmers, merchants, clerks, lawyers, &c. A few horses were procured on which were carried those unable to walk. A few horses were Augusta had no notice of our coming, but supplied our wants to their utmost ability, and on the morning of the 13th instant, by my order, captain of the steam-boat----with two barges brought us to this place, where we arrived in the afternoon, the men exhausted and fainting.

    The loss of the regiment in the fight at Keller's Bridge was 13 men  killed and 50 wounded, many of them very seriously, some of whom have since died. Not over 400 were in the battle, and if portions of  other commands were engaged with us it escaped the notice of the undersigned.

    It would not become me perhaps to say much as to the conduct of the troops or the manner in which they were handled, but I saw no reason to complain of either. The regiment was armed badly, many of the pieces failing to reach the enemy at all; very many became useless early; while they had many very fine guns-short Enfield rifles, Spencer rifles, &c.

    The number actually engaged with us was not less than 1,200 to 1,500 supported by as many more. Morgan acknowledged a loss of 74 killed and wounded at Keller's Bridge, but from the number of wounded carried from the field, seen by me and many of our men after the battle,

    I do not hesitate to say his loss exceeded the number given.

    I have received no written orders since I took command, except one to report to Camp Dennison immediately. What orders Col. Asper received while in command I do not know, as I have no information upon the subject.

    Respectfully submitted.

    R. O. SWINDLER, Capt., Cmdg. 171st Regt. Ohio National Guard.

    Maj. Gen. S. P. HEINTZELMAN, Cmdg. Department.

    Inventory Number: VET 110