Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Identified Civil War Wallet And Personal Effects Of Lieutenant John P. DeMerit, 29th Wisconsin Infantry

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    Identified Civil War Wallet And Personal Effects Of Lieutenant John P. DeMerit - Includes leather wallet that is tan in color and tri-fold style.  It has a leather strap which wraps around the exterior of the wallet and tucks into a leather flap.  The wallet unfolds to several inner pockets.  Accompanied by postwar change purse, a pamphlet titled "The Influence Of The Netherlands" a paper read before the Boston Congregational Club, Oct. 26, 1891, a tablet written by John P. DeMerit, who served as Quartermaster Sergeant and later as Second Lieutenant in the 29th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment.  The tablet contains lists, cash account notes, comments on religious activities, and numerous handwritten entries about GAR officers.   Also includes a pocket diary that contains notes on scripture. 

    John P. DeMerit

    Residence Aztalan WI;

    Enlisted on 8/15/1862 as a Qtr Master Serg.

    On 8/15/1862 he mustered into Field & Staff WI 29th Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 6/22/1865 at Shreveport, LA


    * 2nd Lieut 5/3/1864 (As of Co. K, not mustered)

    * Qtr Master 10/7/1864

    Twenty-ninth Infantry WISCONSIN (3-YEARS)

    Twenty-ninth Infantry. -- Cols., Charles R. Gill, William A. Greene Bradford Hancock, Lieut.-Cols., Gerrit T. Thorne William A. Greene Bradford Hancock, Horace E. Connit; Majs., William A. Greene, Bradford Hancock, Horace E. Connit, Gustavus Bryant.

    This regiment was organized at Camp Randall, Madison, was mustered in Sept. 27 1862, and left the state Nov. 2.  Upon reaching a point on the east bank of the Mississippi River, opposite Helena, Ark., part of the regiment joined an expedition into the interior, after which it was engaged in picket duty and expeditions until Dec. 23, when it moved to Friar's Point and established a camp.

    Four hundred of the regiment marched into the interior and put to flight part of Forrest's force.  On Jan. 11, 1863, the regiment went to Devall's Bluff, Ark., where it captured artillery, arms, stores and prisoners.

    In February it took part in the Yazoo Pass expedition, returning March 1, when it was assigned to the 13th corps and sent toward Vicksburg, reaching Port Gibson in time to contribute greatly to the successful results of that battle.  It was assailed by a heavy fire from the enemy on the top of a ridge, and from some woods on the right, but it held its position and prevented a flank movement by keeping up a terrific fire on the enemy.  In his report Gen. McGinnis, brigade commander, made special mention of the regiment for its gallantry in this, its first battle, saying the men "fought like veterans."  The regiment lost 71, killed and wounded.

    At Champion's Hill, the regiment advanced with its brigade across an open field to a thickly timbered hill where the enemy was posted, opened a concentrated fire and carried the position by a bayonet charge, capturing some 300 prisoners.  The regiment lost 114 killed and wounded.

    It joined the besiegers at Vicksburg and remained during the siege in the advanced works.  It was engaged at the second battle of Jackson in July; was then on expedition, guard and picket duty during the summer and fall.  It was in the Texas expedition with Gen. Washburn's division, which saved the 4th division from annihilation at Carrion Crow bayou, and it was at Cavallo pass, where a strongly fortified position was deserted by the enemy, who blew up the fort and fled, opening the Texas coast from Matagorda bay to the Rio Grande.

    The regiment was in action at Cloutierville, and the battle of Sabine cross-roads.  It returned to Algiers in July, 1864, was attached to the 1st brigade, provisional division, and was in a severe skirmish at Atchafalaya river.

    It was next attached to the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, 18th corps; was ordered to Clinton, La., thence to Morganza via Port Hudson; and on Sept. 3 was sent to St. Charles, Ark., where it remained on guard and expedition duty until Oct. 23.  The remainder of the year was spent in heavy fatigue and picket duty and expeditions along the rivers.  Early in Jan., 1865; it went to Kennersville, near New Orleans, where it remained until Feb. 5, when it joined the movement against Spanish Fort, and was in the trenches at that point until March 31.

    It was then ordered to Fort Blakely, and was present at its fall, and then served as provost guard at Mobile until May 26, when it was sent to Shreveport on the same duty.  It was mustered out June 22, 1865.  Its original strength was 961.  Gain by recruits, 127; substitutes, 1; total, 1,089.  Loss by death, 296; desertion. 39; transfer, 103; discharge, 184; mustered out, 467.

    Inventory Number: CAM 194