Framed Soldiers Memorial Roster, 16th New York Artillery Battery "M" - This vibrantly colored "Soldier's Memorial", is a roster of personnel in the 16th Regiment, Battery M, New York Artillery. It lists privates, NCO's, officer's, principal engagements,and muster dates. The upper portion is beautifully detailed and depicts the likeness of George Washington between the words, "SOLDIERS MEMORIAL", beneath Lady Liberty is seated on a bolder that has "CONSTITUTION" engraved in it, her left hand holds a very nicely detailed US flag and her right a book, an eagle is emerging from the bolder with a serpent pinned beneath is right talon. to either side of this image are battle scenes. Beneath the scenes are images of the home front, with a third battle scene in the middle. The likeness of James Buchanan and Thomas Jefferson encompass the third battle scene. Framed measures 26 3/4" x 21 1/4" actual 21 1/4" x 16 1/8". Published at Yorktown, Virginia, June 1864, by Dr. O. D. Whiney.
New York SIXTEENTH REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY (HEAVY).
Colonel Joseph J. Morrison received authority, June 19, 1863, to recruit this regiment. It was organized at New York city. The men enlisted for the Forster's Artillery formed part of it, and those enlisted for the 35th Battery were transferred to it as Company A, September 25, 1863. The surplus men recruited were ordered transferred to the 6th N. Y. Volunteer Artillery in April, 1864, and in May, 1864, a large number of men were transferred to the 81st and 148th N. Y. Volunteer Infantry and 270 to the 1st Mounted Rifles. The companies were mustered in the service of the United States for three years; at Albany, A and B September 28; C and D October 21 and December 7, 1863, respectively; at Riker's island, E and G December 16, 1863, and January 9, 1864, respectively; at Elmira, F, H, I and K January 19, February 8, January 28 and February 2, 1864, respectively; at Auburn L and M January 26, 1864. In July, 1864, a number of unassigned men were formed into a company designated N, but were gradually absorbed by Companies A, B, C, F, G and K, the battalion serving in the field with the 10th Corps under Majs. Thomas J. Strong and Fred'k W. Prince.
They were recruited principally: A at Utica, New York city, Albany, Watertown, Ogdensburg, Albion and Rouse's Point; B at Albany, Little Falls, Poughkeepsie and New York city; C at Utica, Albany, Auburn, Rome, Watertown, Little Falls, Syracuse and Schenectady; D at Auburn, Utica, Canandaigua, Little Falls, Oswego, Schenectady, New York city, Elmira, Herkimer, Bath, Rome, Oswego and Buffalo; E at New York city, Brooklyn, Albany, Malone, Stuyvesant and Rome; F at Watertown, Canajoharie, Little Falls, Schenectady, Herkimer, Richfield, Norway, St. Johnsville, Troy, Albany and Buffalo; G at New York city; H at Fort Edward, Syracuse, Canandaigua, Oppenheim, Schenectady, Canajoharie, Troy, St. Johnsville, Minden, Scott, Troy, Argyle and Kingsbury; I at Kingsbury, Granville, White Creek, Fort Ann, Fort Edward, Greenwich, Johnsburg, Hampton, Hebron, Easton and Utica; K at Poughkeepsie, Salem, Petersburg, White Creek, Cambridge, Hoosick, Easton, Stuyvesant, Greenwich, Troy, Pittstown, Chester and Weston; L at Fayette, Ira, Cato, Marcellus, Victory, Mentz, Elbridge, Skaneateles, Montezuma, Sterling, Covert, Auburn, Junius, Brutus, Romulus, Aurelius and Varick; and M at Auburn, Brutus, Victory, Sterling, Conquest, Fayette, Niles, Lodi, Cato, Sennett, Skaneateles, Montezuma and Elbridge.
The regiment left the State by detachments: Companies A and B, October 14; Company C, October 22; Companies D and E, December 8 and 16, 1863, respectively; Company G, January 13, and the remaining companies later in January, 1864; it served as heavy artillery and infantry at Fort Monroe, Yorktown and Gloucester Point, Va.; Companies E and H in 1st Brigade, 3d Division, 10th Corps in July, 1864; Companies A, B, C, F, G, K and N in 2d Brigade, 1st Division, 10th Corps, from July 27, 1864; Company L, also from October, 1864; Companies A, B, C, F, G and K, in 2d Brigade, 1st Division, 24th Corps, and a detachment in the Artillery Brigade, 24th Corps, from December, 1864; Companies E and H in the Separate Brigade, Army of the James, at Fort Pocahontas, Va., from December, 1864; Companies A, B, C, F, G and K again in 2d Brigade, 1st Division, 10th Corps, from April 2, 1865. When General Butler called for volunteers to commence the Dutch Gap canal, Companies A, B, C, F, G and K volunteered, and 600 men were selected from them for the work, and commenced it on the 9th of August, 1864; they were withdrawn August 19, 1864, but Major Strong continued in charge of the work, and Major Prince in command of the battalion.
In July, 1865, the regiment was united; and, commanded by Colonel Morrison, it was honorably discharged and mustered out August 21, 1865, at Washington, D. C.