Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • CDV of John G. Butler

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    CDV of John G. Butler - Inventory Number: CDV 332

    3rd New York and 147th New York Infantry

    Lieutenant Colonel Butler, who had served as a captain in the 3rd New York infantry Regiment, was promoted to Colonel of the 147th New York on March 2nd 1863.  The regiment fought bravely throughout the battles of the Army of the Potomac and at the Battle of Gettysburg.  The regiment was one of the first Union infantry regiments on the field, taking an advanced position north of the Chambersburg Pike.  Lt. Colonel Miller was ordered to fall back but was shot on the head before he could pass the orders on to his men.  The regiment stood its ground, taking heavy causalities, before orders finally reached it allowing it to withdraw.  Although the 147th lost three quarters of its men, its stand saved Hall's 2nd Maine Battery from destruction and probably saved the Union position south of Chambersburg Pike.

    The 147th withdrew through town and was part of the defense of Culp's Hill for the rest of the battle.  

    From the regiment's monument at Gettysburg:

    Killed and mortally wounded 76.  Wounded 146, missing 79.  Total loss 301.  Number engaged 380.  


    John G. Butler:

    Enlisted on 4/19/1861 at Albany, NY as a Captain, at 27 years of age

    On 5/14/1861 he mustered into "D" Co. NY 3rd Infantry

    He Resigned on 9/21/1862

    Enlisted on 9/13/1862 at New York City, NY as a Lieut Colonel

    On 11/25/1862 he was commissioned into Field & Staff NY 147th Infantry

    He was discharged for disability on 11/5/1863


    * Colonel 2/4/1863



    Third Infantry.-Cols., Frederick Townsend, Samuel M. Alford, Eldridge G. Floyd, John E. Mulford; Lieut.-Cols., Samuel M. Alford, Henry P. Hubbell, Eldridge G. Floyd, John E. Mulford, George W. Warren; Majs., Abel Smith, Jr., John E. Mulford, Eldridge G. Floyd, George W. Warren, T. Ellery Lord.

    The 3d, organized at Albany, was known as the 1st Albany regiment and was mustered into the U. S. service there on May 14, 1861, for two years.  Four days later it left for New York and on June 3 arrived at Fortress Monroe.  It shared in the engagement at Big Bethel, losing 2 men killed and 27 wounded, and returned to Fortress Monroe.

    On July 30 it was ordered to Baltimore and quartered at Fort McHenry until April 1, 1862.  The summer of 1862 was spent at Suffolk and on Sept. 12, the 3d was again ordered to Fortress Monroe.  The original members not reenlisted were mustered out in May, 1863, but the regiment remained in the field, composed of 162 recruits, 200 veterans and the veterans and recruits of the 9th N. Y., and subsequently received many more recruits and the veterans of the 112th N. Y. Vols.

    The 3d was present during the siege of Suffolk, after which it was ordered to Folly island, where it took an active part in the operations against Fort Wagner, the bombardment of Fort Sumter and attacks on Charleston in the summer and autumn of 1863, as part of Alford's brigade of the 18th corps.  In Oct., 1863, it was attached to the 3d brigade, 2nd division, 10th corps and returned to Virginia, where it was active in the advance under Gen. Butler in May, 1864, losing 5 killed, 50 wounded and 7 missing.

    It fought in the battle of Drewry's bluff and was then transferred to the 3d brigade, 3d division, 18th corps, which moved to Cold Harbor, where it was active until June 12, when it returned to Bermuda Hundred.  The regiment rejoined the 10th corps on June 15, and formed part of the 1st brigade, 2nd division, with which it was engaged in the assaults at Petersburg in June, the mine explosion of July 30, Fort Harrison and the Darbytown road.

    On Dec. 3, 1864, the 3d was attached to the 1st brigade, 2nd division, 24th corps and sent to North Carolina where it was engaged at Fort Fisher, Sugar Loaf battery, Fort Anderson and Wilmington.  It remained in North Carolina performing picket and garrison duty until Sherman's arrival and the close of the war, and was mustered out of the service at Raleigh, Aug. 28, 1865.  During the term of service the total loss of the organization was 37 deaths from wounds and 85 from other causes.



    One Hundred and Forty-seventh Infantry.-Cols., Andrew S. Warner, John G. Butler, Francis C. Miller; Lieut.-Cols., John G. Butler, Francis C. Miller, George Harney, James Coey; Majs., Francis C. Miller, George Harney, Dudley Farling, Alex. R. Penfield, James Coey.

    This was an Oswego county regiment, organized at Oswego and there mustered into the U. S. service on Sept. 23, 1862.  It received by transfer on Jan. 25, 1865, the remnant of the 76th N. Y.  The regiment left the state on Sept. 25, 1862, and after serving for a time in the defenses of Washington, north of the Potomac and in the provisional brigade, provost guard, Army of the Potomac, it was placed in the 1st division, 1st corps.

    It was under fire for the first time at Fitzhugh's crossing below Fredericksburg, one of the preliminary movements of the Chancellorsville campaign, losing a few men killed and wounded.  It was in reserve at Chancellorsville and sustained no losses.  In the 2nd (Cutler's) brigade, 1st (Wadsworth's) division 1st corps, and commanded by Lieut.-Col. Miller, it marched on the field of Gettysburg.

    "The brigade-Cutler's-was the first infantry to arrive on that field and to it fell the honor of opening that famous battle, the first volley coming from the rifles of the 56th Pa.  When Cutler's troops were forced back, the order to retire failed to reach the 147th, as Col. Miller fell wounded and senseless just as he received it, and so the gallant band, under Maj. Harney, continued to hold its ground.  A temporary success near by enabled the regiment to retire in good order; but not all, for of the 380 who entered that fight, 76 were killed or mortally wounded, 146 were wounded, and 79 were missing; total, 301."  (Fox's, Regimental Losses in the Civil War.)

    The regiment took part in the Mine Run campaign-the last campaign of the 1st corps-sustaining a few casualties, and then went into winter quarters at Brandy Station.  In March, 1864, when the 1st corps was broken up, it was assigned to the 3d brigade, 4th (Wadsworth's) division, 5th (Warren's) corps, and was actively engaged in all the battles of the corps during Grant's bloody campaign of 1864-65.

    While in the 5th corps it took part in the battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna river, Totopotomy, Cold Harbor, first assault on Petersburg, siege of Petersburg, Weldon railroad, Poplar Spring Church, Boydton road, Hatcher's run, White Oak ridge, Five Forks and Appomattox.

    The total casualties of the regiment from the opening of the campaign in May, 1864, until Lee's surrender, amounted to 477 killed, wounded and missing.  It was mustered out near Washington, D. C., June 7, 1865, under Col. Miller.  The total enrollment of the regiment during service was 2,102, of whom 581 were killed or wounded; 9 officers and 159 men were killed or mortally wounded; 2 officers and 177 men died of disease and other causes; total deaths, 11 officers and 336 men.

    Inventory Number: CDV 332