Confederate General's Sash Worn by Brigadier General Jeptha Vining Harris - Inventory Number: UNI 055
Silk military sash of General Jeptha Vining Harris, Mississippi State Troops, son of Colonel Jeptha Vining Harris, US Militia, War 1812. An absolutely beautiful Confederate officer's sash made of brocade silk with an elaborate needle work fringe. The sash is in pristine condition without any damage.
The sash was obtained in 1955 from Billups Harris and Lucy Maxwell, descendants of General Harris who lived at the home (circa 1857) the general had built in Columbus Mississippi, White Arches (photo of White Arches pictured above).
Sash is from the renown Bill Beard collection with notarized letter of provenance (see photo above). Comparable documented example worn by Confederate Cavalry Colonel Robert Pitman, 13th Tennessee (see photo above).
Frame measures 38 3/4" l x 26 3/4" h.
A superb Confederate artifact ready exhibit and enjoy!
At the outset of the Civil War, Jeptha Vining Harris equipped at his own expense, a Confederate Army Troop. On September 2, 1862, Mississippi Governor John J. Pettus brigade was ordered to Vicksburg on May 7, 1863 where he held the left line of the Confederate defenses (Harris was praised for his "indefatigable exertions" during the siege). Harris' brigade was surrendered along with the other Confederate units serving at Vicksburg.
There is a plaque honoring General Harris at the Vicksburg National Military Park.
After the war General Harris returned to his farm in Lowndes County Mississippi and a life of relative seclusion. He died on November 21, 1899.
Vining Harris (December 1, 1816 – November 21, 1899) was a brigadier general
(August 1862 – August 1863) and later, after a year in private life, a colonel
(August 1864 – 1865) in the Mississippi militia, who fought in conjunction with
the Confederate States Army in Mississippi during the American Civil War. His militia brigade served at Vicksburg,
Mississippi during the Siege of Vicksburg. Harris and the brigade were part of
the Confederate army surrendered to Union Army forces under then Major General
Ulysses S. Grant on July 4, 1863. After being exchanged in July and mustered
out in August, 1863, Harris returned to civilian life. On August 26, 1864,
Harris was commissioned as a colonel of militia and given command of forces at
Vining Harris was born in Elbert County, Georgia on December 1, 1816. His parents were Jeptha Vining and Sarah
(Hunt) Harris. The elder Jeptha Vining Harris was a Georgia militia general
during the War of 1812, prominent lawyer, planter and state representative.
Jeptha Vining Harris graduated from the University of Georgia in 1836. He moved to Lowndes County, Mississippi in 1840 where he became a slaveholder and wealthy planter. He was a state militia officer before the Civil War. He served in the Mississippi State Senate from Lowndes County in 1858–1861.
Jeptha V. Harris married Mary Oliver Banks of Tuscaloosa, Alabama on June 30, 1840. They had the following children who survived to adulthood: Mary O. Harris, Willis Banks Harris (who served on the staff of Confederate Brigadier General Jacob H. Sharp) and Lucy Harris Duncan. Harris was the uncle of Jeptha Vining Harris, a doctor who served in the Confederate States Army and was later a doctor, customs collector and school superintendent at Key West, Florida.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, at his own expense, Jeptha Vining Harris equipped a company of soldiers for the Confederate Army. In August 1861 or 1862, Harris joined the Mississippi militia and was elected captain of a company. On September 2, 1862, he was commissioned a brigadier general of state troops posted at Columbus, Mississippi. On May 7, 1863, Harris's brigade was ordered to defend the riverfront at the besieged Confederate stronghold of Vicksburg, Mississippi. The unit was positioned on the far left of the Confederate line east of Fort Hill under the overall command of Brigadier General John C. Vaughn. Harris was praised for his performance at Vicksburg. Harris and his brigade were surrendered with the other Confederate forces at Vicksburg on July 4, 1863.
After the Confederate surrender at Vicksburg, Harris and his men were paroled. Many of the demoralized men went home. Harris was exchanged on July 16, 1863, but his command had dissolved and both Harris and his brigade were formally mustered out on August 26, 1863. On August 26, 1864, Harris was appointed a colonel and given command of the militia force at Macon, Mississippi, where he completed his war service.
After the Civil War, Jeptha V. Harris returned to his farm in Lowndes County, Mississippi, where he died on November 21, 1899. He is buried in Friendship Cemetery, Columbus, Mississippi.
Inventory Number: UNI 055