Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Cornet and Case of John E. Farnsworth, PA 102nd Infantry

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    Cornet and Case of John E. Farnsworth, PA 102nd Infantry - With old ink tag, from the estate of John E. Farnsworth.  Case is lined in red.   

    John Farnsworth:

    Residence was not listed;

    Enlisted on 7/13/1863 as a Sergeant.

    On 7/13/1863 he mustered into "G" Co. PA 102nd Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 6/28/1865 at Washington, DC


    One Hundred and Second Infantry.-Cols., Thomas A. Rowley Joseph M. Kinkead, John W. Patterson, James Patchell, Lieut.- Cols. J. M. Kinkead, John W. Patterson, William McIlwaine, Thomas McLaughlin, James H. Coleman, James Patchell, James D. Kirk, James D. Duncan Majs., John Poland, John W. Patterson, Joseph Brown, Thomas McLaughlin, James H. Coleman, James Patchell, James D. Kirk, James D. Duncan, Robert W. Lyon.  The 102nd, whose nucleus was the old 12th regiment, was recruited at Pittsburg in Aug. and Sept., 1861, and ordered to Washington in detachments, where the organization was completed.  It was assigned to Peck's brigade, Couch's division, Keyes' corps, and was stationed at Washington during the winter, except two companies, which were detailed at Great Falls for a short time.  It participated in the siege of Yorktown and in the battles of Williamsburg, Fair Oaks and Malvern hill.  The brigade was detached from the 4th corps, met the army at Centerville after the second Bull Run battle, acted as support to a battery during the engagement at Chantilly; was held in reserve at Antietam, and was attached to the 6th corps when Gen. Burnside assumed command of the army.  The regiment was next actively engaged in the Chancellorsville campaign in May, 1863, at Fredericksburg, Salem Church and Marye's heights, after which it retired to Falmouth until the battle of Gettysburg.  There it arrived on July 2, and was ordered into action the same afternoon, changing its position only slightly during the battle.  It joined in the pursuit of the Confederate Army and the Mine Run campaign, after which it established winter quarters at Brandy Station.  Late in Dec., 1863, almost the entire regiment reenlisted and were furloughed.  The veterans rejoined the regiment at Halltown, Va., in March, 1864, and the brigade returned to Brandy Station, where it was assigned to the 2nd division.  The losses of the regiment at the Wilderness, Spottsylvania and Cold Harbor were very heavy and it was again in action in the first assaults on Petersburg.  On July 9, the corps was hurried to the defense of Washington and arrived in time to render the most important service in checking Gen. Early.  It shared in the marches and counter-marches which followed, and in the battles of the Opequan, Fisher's hill and Cedar creek, returning in December to Petersburg, where it went into winter quarters.  On March 25, 1865, it advanced upon the enemy, joined in the final assault on April 2, and the. fight at Sailor's creek.  It then moved to Danville to join Gen. Sherman's force, but returned to Washington and was there mustered out on June 28, 1865.

    Chancellorsville, VA after battle report:

    No. 237.

    Report of Col. Joseph M. Kinkead, One hundred and second Pennsylvania Infantry.

    HDQRS. 102d REGT. PENNSYLVANIA VOLS., May 7, 1863.

    SIR: I have the honor to report the part taken by the One hundred and second Regt. Pennsylvania Volunteers in the operations at Fredericksburg and vicinity.

    The regiment left its camp on Tuesday, April 28, about 3 p.m., taking position third in line. Arriving about sundown at a ravine in rear of hill next the river, bivouacked for the night.

    On Wednesday morning (29th) took position parallel with road from Falmouth to King George Court-House, directly in rear of Dr. Morson's house.

    Thursday (30th) was mustered for pay by Lieut.-Col. Moody.  Friday, May 1, moved to Pollock's Mill, near lower bridge. Returned to previous position about 9 p.m.

    Saturday, May 2, at 7 a. m., returned to the mill, and in conjunction with Ninety-eighth Regt. Pennsylvania Volunteers, removed the boats an lumber of the pontoon bridge, which had been taken up during the previous night, to a place of safety, the labor being performed with alacrity and to the entire satisfaction of the engineer in charge. The same evening, between 8 and 9 o'clock, crossed the bridge near Dr. Bernard's old house, and bivouacked until midnight, when we were moved to Fredericksburg, which we entered before daybreak.

    About sunrise, in accordance with orders, the regiment advanced and occupied the crest of the first ridge back of the town, between the two railroads, three companies of our left wing being in the deep cut where the railroad goes through the ridge. Immediately after the occupation of this position, Capt. McCarthy's battery, First Pennsylvania Artillery, dashed up the hill, and was placed in battery in our rear. After he had fired a few rounds, and the 12-pounder battery in the town had opened directly over us, killing 2 and wounding several of my men, I had my line moved back about 15 places, which gave the same support to the battery and protected us to some extent from the fire in the rear. Whilst occupying this ground, I sent 2 of my men along the line of the railroad, under cover of the embankment, who discovered a position partially enfilading the famous tone-wall rifle-pit, and, reporting the fact to Gen. Wheaton, was authorized to send a company there, who, after arriving, kept up such an incessant fire as certainly added greatly to the effect of operations going on in that vicinity. About 10 o'clock, a general advance was made, the regiments on the right of our division entering the enemy's works handsomely. The One hundred and second came up in its proper position, although somewhat retarded in crossing the deep cut of the railroad on our right. Loss up to this time, 5 killed and 6 wounded.

    Arriving on the heights, we advanced on the right of the Plank road toward Chancellorsville, coming up with the enemy at the too-gate near Salem Church, where they had made a determined and decided stand.

    On being ordered forward to fill a space between the left of a New Jersey regiment and the right of the line, advancing on the road, the regiment went up to the position in good order, double-quick, and maintained their place until the line on our left had been driven back and a heavy cross-fire was being poured in from the right, compelling us to retire, retaining, however, a well-defined line. Loss at this place was 7 killed, including Capt. John Large, of the color company, 45 wounded, and 8 missing.

    My men brought out from this place 18 prisoners, 11 of whom I have receipts for.

    Our operations on Monday, May 4, consisted in moving to support different portions of the line until nearly sundown, when the brigade was moved double-quick to support Gen. Howe's line in direction of Fredericksburg. The line, posted along a brush fence, consisted of the Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, Sixty-second New York Volunteers, Ninety-third Pennsylvania Volunteers, and One hundred and second Pennsylvania Volunteers. I took my position on the right of left center company, seating myself on a stump to see what was transpiring in the vicinity. The men were allowed to go to sleep. About 8 o'clock I received a message to keep quiet and kindle no fires. At the same time the regiments on my right moved off by their left flank, passing our right and moving directly to the front. After remaining for nearly an hour, Doctor Morson had occasion to go to the rear, where he proposed to establish a hospital, but, returning, informed me that the troops near there had moved. The rumbling sound of artillery moving indicated the passage of troops over the road north of us. The demoniac yells from the direction where Gen. Sedgwick had the main portion of the corps at sundown, told plainly that we were alone, with the enemy on three sides of us. I immediately sent Capt. Coleman with 8 men to the front, to find if any other portion of the brigade was there, or what direction they had taken. Four men were sent to the right, to communicate with Lieut. Morris, of the Sixty-second New York.

    Capt. Fullwood deployed his company in the rear, and Lieut.  Lyon, with 6 men, was sent to discover a road through the forest to the road beyond. Capt. Coleman returned, reporting 2 wounded men of the Sixty-second New York where the line had been. The party sent to communicate with Lieut. Morris returned without finding him, but bringing one of his men in charge of a prisoner, who represented himself as belonging to Anderson's division, 40,000 strong, and standing in line in the forest south of the Plank road. Capt. Fullwood reported from his line that he could distinctly hear the jokes and jeers of the rebels on coming up to a knapsack, and were not disposed to pass until its contents were rifled. The party sent to find the road had not reported. Hearing distinctly the commands given to the lines closing in on my right and rear, I ordered my men to cross the fence and march quietly by the left flank. The movement had scarcely commenced before we were fired into, and the fire returned by portions of Companies A and F, on the right of the regiment. Our march continued, principally through swamps, until arriving near the vedettes of the Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, who fired several shots at us before the condition of affairs could be explained. On learning the correct road to the ford, I rode back to close up those who had become scattered in passing the swamp, and remained as long as any of my men continued to arrive. On getting inside the line, the regiment was put in position designated by Capt. [William G.] Ulshoeffer, of Gen. Newton's staff.

    Loss on evening of the 4th instant is 102, including Lieut.-Col.

    Patterson, 1 captain, and 2 lieutenants.

    Our regimental colors were missing when we arrived at the lines, and the only corporal of the color-guard who escaped with us reported that they had been delivered to a sergeant of Company I, Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry. They have not yet been found, but I feel confident did not fall into the hands of the enemy.

    The river was recrossed the same night with that part of the troops among whom we had been placed, and the brigade rejoined early on the morning of the 5th instant.

    Whether my action was correct in ordering the march from the position in which we had been placed at sundown without authority from the source that had placed the regiment there, remains for higher power to decide. I feel that the circumstances justified the act, and all who obeyed my orders promptly came away in safety.

    The total loss of the regiment during the operations until recrossing the river was 185,* including killed, wounded, and missing. Lists of all have been forwarded.

    Respectfully submitted.

    J. M. KINKEAD, Col. 102d Regt. Pennsylvania Volunteers.

    Capt. GEORGE R. CLENDENIN, Jr.,  Assistant Adjutant-Gen., Third Brigade.

     Gettysburg after battle report:

    Report of Col. John W. Patterson, One hundred and second Pennsylvania Infantry. Hdqrs. 102d Regt. Pennsylvania Volunteers,

    August 4, 1863.

    Sir: In compliance with circular from brigade headquarters, dated August 3, 1863, I have the honor to forward the following report of the operations of my command from July 1 to 17, 1863, inclusive:

    July 1, camp near Manchester.--Was ordered to report to division quartermaster, for the purpose of guarding supply train to Westminster.

    Arrived at the latter place on the morning of the 2d.  Reported to Gen. Buford, and received instructions to picket roads leading to Gettysburg, Emmitsburg, and Taneytown.

    On the morning of the 5th, were relieved by cavalry, and moved  to camp at wagon park.

    July 6.--Moved my regiment to the north and west of the town.  At midnight joined the corps trains, and, after a fatiguing march through mud and rain, arrived and bivouacked within 1 mile of Frederick City.

    July 8.--At 12 m. of this date, resumed the march, passing through  Frederick City, and at 7 p. m. reported myself and command to the general commanding the brigade, at Middletown.

    July 9.--Left Middletown, arriving at Boonsborough about noon;  went into line of battle, bivouacked for the night, and, on the morning of the 10th, moved forward to near Funkstown.

    July 11.--Went on picket to the right of the Hagerstown road and near to Antietam Creek, relieving the Fifth Vermont Regt., of the Second Division.

    On the morning of the 13th, moved forward, and took up position  about 4 miles east of Williamsport, hearing picket firing in our immediate front.  Heavy rain until nearly dark.

    At 1 a. m. of the 14th, relieved the Ninety-third Pennsylvania Volunteers, throwing up breastworks.

    July 15.--Moved to Williamsport, and went into camp.

    July 16.--Countermarched, and about noon reached Boonsborough.

    July 17.--Company B, detached with ammunition train, reported to me for duty with regiment.  Resumed the march, and in the evening arrived within 2 miles of Berlin, Md.

    I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

    JOHN W. PATTERSON, Col. One hundred and second Regt. Pennsylvania Vols.

    Capt. George Clendenin, Jr., Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

    Inventory Number: MUS 040