Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Salt Print of General Henry Davies Wallen

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    Salt Print of General Henry Davies Wallen - Nice condition salt print of US General Henry Davies Wallen.   

    Henry Davies Wallen:

    Enlisted on 11/25/1861 as a Major as a 46 year-old US Army Officer.

    On 11/25/1861 he was commissioned into Field & Staff US Army 7th Infantry 

    He was discharged for promotion on 7/30/1865

    (Prior service in US Army since 07/01/1840)

    On 7/30/1865 he was commissioned into Field & Staff US Army 14th Infantry 

    (date and method of discharge not given)

     (Subsequent service until retiring 02/18/1874)


    * Lt Colonel 2/23/1865 by Brevet 

    * Colonel 2/23/1865 by Brevet 

    * Brig-General 3/13/1865 by Brevet 

    * Lt Colonel 7/30/1865 (As of 14th US Army Infantry)

    Other Information:

    born 4/19/1819 in Savannah, GA

    died 12/2/1886 in New York City, NY

    Seventh U. S. Infantry:

    Report of Lieut. James P. Martin, Seventh U. S. Infantry.

    CAMP NEAR SPRUCE GROVE, June 27, 1861.

    SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this command up to this date, viz:

    On the 24th of May a party of thirteen men (seven enlisted men and six volunteers) left this camp on a scout. On the 28th, at 11 a. m., they came upon a rancheria on the South Fork of Eel River about one mile above its mouth. The Indians were attacked and 8 killed, 1 squaw accidentally wounded. Of those killed 1 is know to have killed a white man.

    June 1, fourteen men (seven enlisted and seven volunteers) left camp.  At daylight on the 4th a party of Indians were discovered on Eel River about opposite Bell Spring. They were attacked and 16 killed and 1 wounded. I regret to state that among the number killed were three squaws, but owing to the hour of the attack it was impossible to distinguish male from female. These Indians are supposed to be those who killed stock belonging to Messrs. Fleming and Wilburn. June 10, nineteen men (one officer, eleven enlisted men, six volunteers, and one interpreter) left on a scout of fifteen days. On the same day (the 10th) we were joined by a party of five hunters, who volunteered their services for the trip. On the night of the 14th we discovered what was supposed to be two Indian fires in opposite directions; the party was divided into two of ten each, four being left in charge of the animals.

    One of the parties was taken command of by myself. We found after marching more than half the night that we were mistaken in seeing a fire. We continued our march, and at daylight came upon and attacked a rancheria containing four Indians, two men and two women. The men were killed, and one of the squaws being mistaken for a male was slightly wounded. The second party did not succeed in finding any Indians. Whilst we were encamped on the 16th four Indians were found lurking about our camp and were killed as spies. On the 18th I left the party on account of sickness and returned to camp. One Indians was shot by the party before its return; he was running from them at the time he was killed. June 13, a party of seven men (three enlisted, one volunteer, one hunter, and one Indian) wee sent out. After marching for thirty-six hours without seeing any signs of Indians, the party divided, one volunteer and one enlisted man taking charge of the animals to return to camp. The second party (two enlisted men, hunter, and one Indian) returned by a different route on foot. On the 14th, at 10 a. m., they came upon and attacked a rancheria, killing 7 and wounding 1. The rancheria was on a gulch emptying into the South Fork of Eel River about fifteen miles above its mouth. These Indians were found in the immediate vicinity of places where stock had been killed. June 15, three men (one volunteer and two enlisted) were sent out as scouts. About 9 p. m. they discovered a ranch, and dispatched one of their number to camp for more men. Eight enlisted men were sent to their aid, reaching them about daylight, when an attack was made and 2 killed and 3 wounded. One boy was slightly wounded. A squaw in this ranch at the time of the attack having been seen afterward says that 10 of their number were killed. These Indians were found in the same place, and supposed to be part of the same tribe as were those killed by the party which left camp on the 13th. The country over which the operations of this command have to be conducted is very rough, in many places almost impassable and very favorable for the secretion of Indians who commit depredations. They keep no fires burning at night, and in daylight so arrange them as to make as little smoke as possible. I do not know positively what depredations, if any, have been committed by the Indians killed by this command. I have no means of finding out whether those that we may come upon are guilty or innocent; no communication can be held with them. Circumstantial evidence goes, to show that they are all guilty. My instructions are to consider all who run on approaching them as hostile, and to fire upon them. In every case where any have been killed they ran at the first sight of the men. Sickness has prevented my making this report at any earlier date.

    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

    JAS. P. MARTIN, Second Lieut., Seventh Infantry, Cmdg. Detachment.

    Capt. C. S. LOVELL, Sixth Infantry, Fort Humboldt, Cal.

    JULY 21, 1861.--Skirmish on the South Fork of Eel River, Cal.

    Report of Lieut. James P. Martin, Seventh U. S. Infantry.

    CAMP ON THE MATTOLE RIVER, July 25, 1861.

    SIR: Your letter of the 12th instant has been received. I have the honor to report that a party, consisting of one officer, two volunteer guides, one interpreter, and two enlisted men, left my camp July 20, 1861, for the purpose of prospecting a route to Shelter Cove. When about twenty-five miles above the mouth of the South Fork of Eel River, and immediately on the river, the party came upon and attacked a rancheria containing about forty Indians. Twelve of the number were killed, among whom, unfortunately, were two men; the latter were killed through mistake. I do not know positively that these Indians belong to the tribe at Shelter Cove, but I am satisfied that they had committed depredations on the property of white people, because evidence to that effect was discovered before they were fired upon. One Indian that was captured says that two of the number killed were Shelter Cove Indians.  I believe that the Indians in this part of the country are immediately connected with the Shelter Coves, and are perhaps as much concerned in killing stock on the coast as the Shelter Coves themselves. According to their own statement they hope the latter to eat the cattle that are  killed, and the Indian above referred to as having been captured stated once that they had assisted in killing white men on the coast, but afterward contradicted this statement. One story is as liable to be true as the other. The country over which the operations of this command have now to be conducted presents more difficulties than any yet operated in, and the greater portion of it is, I think, almost, if not entirely, impassable.

    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

    JAS. P. MARTIN,  Second Lieut., Seventh Infty., Cmdg. Detach. Co. D, Sixth Infty.

    Capt. C. S. LOVELL, Sixth Infantry, Cmdg. Fort Humboldt, Cal.

    Chancellorsville, VA after battle report:

    No. 190.

    Report of Capt. David P. Hancock, Seventh U. S. Infantry.

    CAMP NEAR FALMOUTH, VA., May 7, 1863.

    SIR: In compliance with instructions from division headquarters, I have the honor to submit the following report in reference to the late operations on the south side of the river:

    During the marches of the different days previous to May 2, the men bore up well under their fatigue, and there was comparatively no straggling; in fact, with the exception of 8 men, we went into the battle-field with the same force that we left this camp.

    On May 1, we were engaged with the other regiments of the brigade, when we marched up in good order to our positions, taking some few prisoners.

    Our loss there was 2 killed, 9 wounded, and 5 missing among the enlisted men. Three of the missing were seen at our last position on the hill, and the probabilities are they were wounded also. All appeared to be in good spirits and did their duty cheerfully.

    Where all behaved so well I can make no distinction, but would like to mention, for the favorable notice of the commanding general, Corpl.  Stephen C. Neil, of Company E, who, when the color-bearer was shot down, gallantly picked [the colors] from his hands, and bore them during the remainder of the engagement. The regiment was on picket the same night in close proximity to the rebels, and covered the change of position of the corps.

    We took our new position next morning, and protected ourselves by abatis. We were moved again near dusk to the support of Sickles' corps; were not engaged, and took a new position again during the night, which we strongly fortified in the morning, and remained there without being engaged until our final retreat on the morning of the 6th. In retreating there was much confusion, owing to the mixing of the troops on the road, which it was a moral impossibility to prevent, and the very many conflicting and contradictatory orders received from the different staff officers, not only from brigade but division and corps headquarters.  I am happy to state, however, that all are over [the river] excepting those belonging to the medical department, who, I presume, have been taken prisoners, with Dr. Hichborn, the surgeon.* The arms of the  regiment are in good order and condition, and the men are in good spirits. A requisition for ammunition will be made at once.

    I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,

    D. P. HANCOCK, Capt. Seventh Infantry, Cmdg. Regt.

    Lieut. E. E. SELLERS, A. A. A. G., 2d Brig., Sykes' Div., 5th Army Corps.

    Gettysburg after battle report: 

    Report of Capt. David P. Hancock, Seventh U. S. Infantry.

    Camp near Berlin, Md., July 17, 1863.

    Sir: In compliance with circular, I have the honor to make the following report relative to the late operations of this regiment:

    After leaving the Rappahannock and making the usual marches incident to following an advancing enemy, some of them being unusually severe, we arrived in front of the enemy on July 2, having been nineteen days, including all delays, on the march from Benson's Mills.

    The regiment formed in line of battle on Rock Hill [Round Top] immediately in front of the enemy at about 5.30 p. m., and at once advanced against him down the hill and across an open field, and remained some minutes under cover of a stone fence inclosing a wood, being then under a slight fire.  Shortly after, the part of the brigade the Seventh was in was ordered to cross the fence and wheel to the left, and form in a line perpendicular to the original direction and advance in the woods.  This was immediately done, at the same time relieving a brigade already there.  Our firing to the front then was slight, as no enemy was apparently visible in that direction.  After remaining faced in this direction for a short time, the enemy became visible upon our right flank, and it was apparent he was endeavoring to flank us.

    At this juncture we were ordered to retire slowly, which order was obeyed with great reluctance by the men.  While retiring, the fire of the enemy became very destructive, and, after recrossing the stone fence and over the open field, became frightful, we receiving there a fire from three different directions.  After again reaching the hill, the men were halted and remained in that position, being no more engaged during the operations.

    Although the loss during the engagement was frightful, being half of those engaged, I am happy to state that the regiment fell back in good order, and, with one exception, every man missing was finally accounted for as killed or wounded.  No prisoners were taken from us.  The loss was 1 officer (Lieut. Miller) killed and 3 wounded; 10 enlisted men killed and 43 wounded;* 116 officers and men went into the engagement.

    The names of the officers engaged are, Capt. Martin, First Lieut.'s Miller and Curtis, Second Lieut.'s Cullen, Cole, Crawford, Woodruff, Comba, and Grossman.  Lieut.'s Woodruff, Comba, and Grossman were wounded.

    As all the officers and men did their duty well, it is impossible for me to make individual distinctions in that regard, but I would respectfully remark upon the great coolness, gallantry, and intrepidity of Capt. J. P. Martin, acting field officer, and to his great efficiency in keeping order and preventing confusion in the regiment.

    Since the day of the engagement to the present date, nothing of importance has occurred more than is ordinarily incident to a rapid march in the vicinity of the enemy.

    I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,

    D. P. HANCOCK,  Capt. Seventh U. S. Infantry, Comdg. Regt.

    Capt. J. W. Ames,  A. A. A. G., Second Brig., Second Div., Fifth Corps.

    Inventory Number: CDV 297