Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • 153rd New York Volunteer CDV Album / Sold

    This item is out of stock

    153rd New York Volunteer CDV Album - SOLD

    Containing 40 excellent images of soldiers, generals, and family members.  Housed in an album belonging to Charles Putman.  With handwritten identifying inscription page that reads, "Property of Chas. F. Putman / Major 153rd Regiment / New York Volunteers / 1861-1865." Backmarks include Brady, Cooley and Bechet, Gross and Becher, and E and H. T. Anthony.  Album contains Carte de viste of Major Putman, Little Mac, General Banks, General Heintzelman, General Hooker, General Burnside, Rosencrans, D. C. Livingston, Captain D. H. Cuyler, Lt. Stewart W. Phinney, H. M. Gale, Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Captain Thomas.

    Charles F. Putman:

    Residence was not listed; 22 years old.

    Enlisted on 9/2/1862 at Fonda, NY as a 2nd Lieutenant.

    On 10/23/1862 he was commissioned into "C" Co. NY 153rd Infantry

    He died of disease on 9/9/1865 at Savannah, GA

     (Died of typhoid fever)


    * 1st Lieut 3/20/1863

    * Capt 6/8/1863

    * Major 1/4/1865

    Intra Regimental Company Transfers:

    * 2/8/1865 from company C to Field & Staff



    Red River Campaign

    Battle of Sabine Cross Roads

    Battle of Fort Stevens

    Third Battle of Winchester

    Battle of Fisher's Hill

    Battle of Cedar Creek

    One Hundred and Fifty-third Infantry.- Cols., Duncan McMartin, Edwin P. Davis; Lieut.-Cols., Thomas A. Armstrong, William H. Printup, Alexander Strain, George H. McLaughlin; Majs., Edwin P. Davis, Alexander Strain, Stephen Simmons, Jacob C. Klock, George H.  McLaughlin, C. F. Putnam, Abram V. Davis.

    This regiment, recruited in the counties of Fulton, Montgomery, Saratoga, Clinton, Essex and Warren, was organized at Fonda and there mustered into the U. S. service on Oct. 18, 1862, for three years.  It left the same day for Washington, was first stationed at Alexandria as provost guard, and during most of the year 1863, did garrison and guard duty about the capital.

    It was then transferred to the Department of the Gulf, where it was assigned to the 1st brigade, 1st (Emory's) division, 19th corps, with which it took part in the Red River campaign, meeting with severe loss at Pleasant Hill.  It was active at Mansura and was warmly commended for its bravery in these battles by the commanding general.

    In July, 1864, it returned to Virginia with the 1st and 2nd divisions; on its arrival at Washington it was ordered into Maryland to confront Gen. Early, and then served with Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley, taking part in the battles of the Opequan, Fisher's hill, Strasburg and Cedar creek, besides numerous lesser skirmishes.

    Its loss at the Opequan was 69 killed and wounded, and at Cedar creek, 81 killed, wounded and missing.  The regiment continued to serve in the valley until April, 1865, when it moved with Dwight's division to Washington where it participated in the grand review in May.

    In July it sailed for Savannah, Ga., and while stationed there won the esteem and respect of the citizens by the gentlemanly conduct of its officers and men.  Col. Davis was brevetted brigadier-general for meritorious service.

    The regiment was mustered out at Savannah on Oct. 2, 1865, under command of Lieut.-Col. McLaughlin.  It lost during service 1 officer and 40 men killed and died of wounds; 1 officer and 160 men died of disease and other causes; total deaths, 202.



    Colonel William T. Miller, succeeded, September 5, 1862, by Col. Duncan McMartin, received authority, August 23, 1862, to recruit this regiment in the then 15th Senatorial Districtof the State; it was organized at Fonda, and there mustered in the service of the United States for three years October 17 and 18, 1862.  The regiment organizing, under orders dated September 17, 1862, at Plattsburg under the command of Col.Thomas A. Armstrong, was consolidated with this regiment October 8, 1862.

    The companies were recruited principally: A at Johnstown; B at Mohawk, Palatine and Root; C at Glen, Florida, Root and Charleston; D at Johnstown and Mayfield; E It Minden and St. Johnsville; F at Ephratah, Canajoharie, Oppenheim, Clifton Park and Lassellsville; G at Mooers, Altona, Essex and Plattsburg; H at Greenfield, Milton, Galway, Clifton Park, Ballston Spa, Moreau, Root and Wilson; I at Champlain, Chesterfield, Plattsburg and AuSable; and K at Queensbury, Ellenburg, Altona and Mooers.

    The regiment left the State October 18, 1862; it served in the defenses of Washington, in Abercrombie's Division, from October 25, 1862; in Casey's Division, 22d Corps, February, 1863; in the Department of the Gulf and 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 19th Corps, from February, 1864; in the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, Army of the Shenandoah, from March, 1865; in the 2d Brigade, Dwight's Division, at Washington, D.C., from April, 1865; in the Department of Georgia, from July, 1865, and, commanded by Lieut.Col. George H. McLaughlin, it was honorably discharged and mustered out October 2, 1865, at Savannah. Ga.

    Report of Col. Edwin P. Davis, One hundred and fifty-third New York Infantry, of engagements at Sabine Cross-Roads and Pleasant Hill.

    HDQRS. 153d REGT. NEW YORK VOLUNTEERS, Grand Ecore, La., April 12, 1864.

    CAPT.: I have the honor to submit the following report of the campaign since we left Natchitoches: On the morning of the 6th instant (Wednesday) I broke camp at Natchitoches at 7.30 a. m., joined my brigade, and took up a line of march in direction of Pleasant Hill. After proceeding about 17 miles we bivouacked for the night at 5.30 p. m. At 5.30 a. m. of Thursday, the 7th instant, we broke camp and took up line of march; reached Pleasant Hill about 4 p. m. and went into bivouac about 5 p. m. Heard firing in our front; rumors of our cavalry having engaged the enemy.

    The next morning, being Friday, we broke camp at 6 a. m. My regiment was detached from the brigade, being detailed as rear guard to the division trains to relieve the Thirtieth Maine Volunteers, which I did at 11 o'clock that day. At 3 p. m. I reached the old saw-mill, where the First Brigade had gone into bivouac, but soon the division moved forward and my regiment was ordered to remain and guard the wagons and artillery which were left in camp at the old saw-mill, which I did. The next morning at 4 a. m., 9th instant, I rejoined my brigade at the old sawmill, and took the rear of the column en route for Pleasant Hill, where we arrived at 8.30 a. m. of same day, and took up a position in the woods on the right of the main road, where I remained until 5 p. m., when I received orders to move my regiment up the main road leading from Pleasant Hill, and to take up a position, the right of my regiment resting on the road, and the line of battle directly diagonal across the wood; also to throw out my skirmishers with orders to hold their position and not to fire a shot until the enemy made their appearance. I had been here but a short time when the enemy made their appearance in a strong force, drove in my skirmishers, and fired a terrific volley into my regiment, which was handsomely met by my men, who poured volley after volley and succeeded in driving them out of the woods. Again they made their appearance and endeavored to turn my regiment and left flankers, but were driven back pell-mell. They again made several attempts to drive me from my position without success. I maintained it until I was ordered to retire, my ammunition being all exhausted, about 8 o'clock, and took up a new position in the rear about 40 yards. About 2 a. m. of the 10th instant I joined the brigade, and took our line of march for Grand Ecore. We bivouacked about 2 o'clock on Sunday, the 10th instant, for the night. Broke camp at 5.50 of the morning of the 11th instant and reached Grand Ecore at 3.30 p. m. My men behaved nobly, and I attach much credit to the noble manner in which my line officers acted, and Lieut.-Col. Strain, Maj. Sammons, and Adjutant Davis rendered me valuable assistance in keeping my line together and maintaining my position. The casualties are as follow:*


    EDWIN P. DAVIS, Col., Cmdg.

    Capt. OLIVER MATTHEWS, Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

    Inventory Number: CDV 258 / Sold