7th Regiment New York Relic - Unique wooden board used to organize military orders. Has well-executed ink drawing of a fort, New York state seal, and the motto: "Semper Fidelis" - Always Faithful. Measures approximately 8 7/8" x 3 7/8".
The 7th Regiment of the New York Militia, aka the "Silk Stocking" regiment, was an infantry regiment in the Union Army during the American Civil War. Also known as the "Blue-Bloods" due to the disproportionate number of its members who were part of New York City's social elite, the 7th Militia was a pre-war New York Militia unit that was mustered into federal service for the Civil War.
After organizing and brief training, the regiment, commanded by Colonel Marshall Lefferts, left New York City for Washington, D.C., on special call of President Abraham Lincoln on April 19, 1861, arriving in Annapolis Junction, Maryland, and opening communications with Washington April 24–25. There it was mustered in the service of the United States for thirty days, 26 April 1861; it served at Washington and was mustered out at New York city, 3 June 1861.
25 May 1862, the regiment, still commanded by Col. Lefferts, again left the state, and was mustered in the United States service at Camp Hamilton, Va., 29 May 1862, for three months, from 26 May 1862. It served most of this time at Baltimore, Md., and was mustered out of the United States service, 5 September 1862, at New York City.
16 June 1863, it again re-entered the United States service, and was mustered in at New York City, for thirty days. It left the state on the 17th, under the command of Colonel Lefferts, served at Baltimore, and Frederick, Md., in the 2d Separate Brigade, Middle Department, 8th Corps, and was mustered out of the United States service, 20 July 1863, at New York City.
In its service, in 1861, it lost one enlisted man, accidentally killed, and it took part in the advance into Virginia on 24 May 1861, and the New York City Riot on 16 July 1863.
The regiment was housed in the Capitol Buildings at Washington from April 25–May 2, and was mustered into Federal service on April 26, serving duty at Camp Cameron, Meridian Hill, Georgetown Heights, from May 2–23. After occupation of Arlington Heights, Virginia, May 24–26, it assisted in building Fort Runyon and was mustered out at New York City on June 3, 1861.
The regiment was again mustered in for three months' service on May 25, 1862. It left New York City for Baltimore, Maryland, on May 26, and then was attached to Dix's Command, Middle Department, to July 1862. Then, it was assigned to the 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to September 1862. It was in camp at Stewart's Hill, Baltimore, from May 28 to June 5, and duty at Fort Federal Hill from June 6 to August 28. The regiment mustered out in New York City on September 5, 1862.
Once again, the regiment was mustered in, this time for thirty days' service starting June 16, 1863, and departed for Baltimore on June 17. It was attached to Morris' Brigade, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department, to July 7, and then to the 3rd Division, 3rd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to July 15. It was on duty at Fort Federal Hill and provost duty in Baltimore from June 18 to July 5 before being ordered to Frederick, Maryland, on July 5, and picket and outpost duty there until July 14. It reached New York City on July 16. The 7th was on duty during the New York Draft Riots from July 16–21.
The regiment mustered out for good on July 21, 1863.
The Headquarters of the 7th during the Civil War was at the Tompkins Market on Third Avenue. In 1879, it was moved uptown to the newly built Seventh Regiment Armory on Park Avenue.
One noteworthy member of the regiment, who left a body of paintings of the regiment's service, was Sanford Robinson Gifford; another was Rufus King, Jr. who was awarded the Medal of Honor. Also a member as a private during the spring 1861 deployment to Washington was Robert Gould Shaw, later commander of the 54th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.
Inventory Number: IDE 006