Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Charles W. Burgess, Massachusetts 8th and 30th Infantry

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    Charles W. Burgess, Massachusetts 8th and 30th Infantry - Inventory Number: CDV 315

    Excellent clarity of a seated Charles W. Burgess who mustered into "A" Company MA 8th Infantry on April 30, 1861, them mustered into "I" Company MA 30th Infantry on November 11, 1861.  Burgess wears a nine button frock coat, with eagle "I" buttons which are sharp and visually distinguishable.  The reverse is inscribed "Your Truly CWBurgess" with a  2 cent stamp.  

    Charles W. Burgess: 

    Residence Lowell MA; a 22 year-old Machinist.

    Enlisted on 4/15/1861 at Lowell, MA as a Private.

    On 4/30/1861 he mustered into "A" Co. MA 8th Infantry 

    He was Mustered Out on 8/1/1861 at Boston, MA

    On 11/12/1861 he mustered into "I" Co. MA 30th Infantry 

    He was Mustered Out on 7/5/1866


    * 1st Sergt 1/26/1862 

    * 2nd Lieut 10/6/1862 

    * 1st Lieut 7/1/1864 

    * Capt 4/21/1865


    The 8th Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil., "Minute Men," was called to Boston by Special Order No. 14, issued on the afternoon of April 15, 1861, by the Adjutant General of Massachusetts.  Having only eight companies, one company was added from the 7th Regt., a Salem unit, and one from Pittsfield, taken from the 1st Battalion of Infantry.  Leaving the State April 18, it proceeded to Annapolis, Md., on its way to the national capital.  At Annapolis two companies were placed on the frigate CONSTITUTION, guarding her until she was safely removed to the harbor of New York.  Another company was detached to do guard duty at Fort McHenry near Baltimore, Md.  The remainder of the regiment, after repairing the road-bed from Annapolis to Annapolis Junction and restoring the rolling stock of the railroad, proceeded to Washington, arriving April 26.  Not until April 30 were the men mustered into the service of the United States.  On May 11 the regiment was ordered into camp at the Relay House, Md.  Here Col. Munroe resigned on account of age and ill health, and was succeeded by Col. Edward W. Hinks, an officer destined to attain high rank before the war was done.  On July 2d the entire regiment was ordered to Baltimore, Md., the left wing arriving in the morning and the right wing in the evening of the following day.  On July 29 it was ordered to Boston, Mass., and here on August 1, 1861, it was mustered out of the service.


    The 30th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was raised by Genl Butler in the fall of 1861 and the early part of the winter following.  It was originally known as the Eastern Bay State Regiment.  It was organized at Camp Chase, Lowell, and its members were mustered in on various dates from Sept. 15 to the close of the year.  A controversy having arisen between Governor Andrew and Genl Butler over the latter's authority to raise troops in Massachusetts, the regiment left the State Jan. 13, 1862, under command of Acting Lieut. Col. French. Remaining at Fort Monroe until Feb. 2, on the 12th it reached Ship Island in the Gulf of Mexico, where Gen. Butler was assembling his forces to operate against New Orleans.  Nathan A.M. Dudley was commissioned colonel, Feb. 8, and most of the other field and staff and line officers were commissioned Feb. 20.  It was now officially the 30th Regiment.

    After the Mississippi was opened by Farragut's fleet in the latter part of April, 1862, the 30th was sent to New Orleans and thence to Baton Rouge, arriving June 2.  It made several expeditions into the country in pursuit of guerrillas, then was sent to the front of Vicksburg but returned to Baton Rouge, July 26.  It was now in the 2d Brigade commended by Gen. Thomas Williams.  It participated with loss in the battle of Baton Rouge, Aug. 5, 1862.  During most of the remainder of the year it was posted at Carrollton near New Orleans.

    In the middle of January, 1863, it was again transferred to Baton Rouge, where it became a part of Dudley's (3d) Brigade, Grover's (1st) Division, Banks' (19th) Corps.  It was in action at Plains Store May 21, then took active part in the siege of Port Hudson twice furnishing volunteers for storming parties.  During the last part of the siege it was on picket at Plains Store.

    After the fall of Port Hudson July 9, the 30th marched through the town, then took boat for Donaldsonville.  At Kock's Plantation or Bayou La Fourche, July 13, 1863, the regiment was engaged with severe loss.  August was spent at Baton Rouge.  In September the regiment was in the expedition to Sabine Pass, and later moved from Algiers to Brashear City, Camp Bisland, New Iberia, Vermillionville, Opelousas, and beyond.  This was known as the Teche region.  Leaving Opelousas Nov. 1, the regiment fell back to New Iberia, where it went into winter quarters on the 9th.  Here it remained until Jan. 7, 1864, in the meantime 357 members of the regiment having re-enlisted.  FromJan. 9 to Feb. 18 it was at Franklin.  Feb. 19 it reached Algiers, and March 5 the reenlisted men left for Massachusetts on veteran furloughs.  These men returned to New Orleans May 16.

    From June 12 to July 3 the regiment was on an expedition up the Mississippi to Morganzia.  Returning to New Orleans July 3, it embarked at once for Fort Monroe, Va., arriving July 12,and being immediately hurried to Washington City, which was menaced by a Confederate army under Genl Early.  Gen. Early having been repulsed July 12, the 30th joined in the pursuit,proceeding through Leesburg and Snicker's Gap to Berryville.  Returning to Washington, it now marched through Maryland to Harper's Ferry.  Nearthis place it joined Genl. Sheridan's Army of the Shenandoah.  It participated in the battle of Winchester Sept. 19, and that of Fisher's Hill, Sept. 22, suffering little loss.  It joined in the pursuit of the Confederates as far as Harrisonburg.  It was engaged at Cedar Creek Oct. 19, losing 127 men, its largest loss in any one action.  Soon after this battle the regiment received 178 recruits.  A little later it took position about six miles south of Winchester.  On Dec. 30 it was sent to guard the crossings of the Opequan east of Winchester, where it remained until April 1.  On the 21st it entrained for Washington, where it remained until June 1, when it was sent to Savannah, Ga.  During the remainder of the year 1865 it was posted at Georgetown, Florence, Sumpter, and other places in South Carolina doing provost duty.  This work continued until the middle of the year 1866, when on July 5 the regiment was mustered out at Charleston, S. C., the Last Massachusetts regiment to leave the service.

    Inventory Number: CDV 315