Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Commission of Sergeant Major John R. Hunt Jr, 20th Ohio Volunteer Infantry / SOLD

    This item is out of stock

    Commission of Sergeant Major John R. Hunt Jr of the 20th Ohio Volunteer Infantry - Original Civil War military commission appointing John R. Hunt Jr. as Sergeant Major of the 20th Regiment, Ohio Volunteers Infantry.  Pre-printed on high-grade vellum paper, this army commission is typical of those official forms given to enlisted soldiers who gained promotion during the war years and afterwards.  Commissioned the 25th day of May 1861, at Camp Goddard Ohio and signed by the Adjutant of the Regiment and Colonel Thomas Morton.  Hunt enlisted on April 18th, 1981 as a private.  Measures approximately 23" x 33", actual 21" x 31", professional mounted and wrapped on archival board for protection.

    John R. Hunt, Jr:

    Residence was not listed; 19 years old.

    Enlisted on 4/18/1861 as a Private.

    On 4/27/1861 he mustered into "B" Co. OH 20th Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 8/18/1861 at Columbus, OH


    * Sergt Major 5/25/1861

    Intra Regimental Company Transfers:

    * 5/25/1861 from company B to Field & Staff


    Twentieth Infantry. - (Three Months' Service.) Col., Thomas Morton; Lieut.-Col., John W. Cruikshank; Maj., Charles N. Lamison.  The companies composing this organization were enrolled as follows: A and F, April 20, at Lima; B, April 19, at Oxford; C and D, April 22, at Eaton; E, April 17, at St. Mary's; G, April 25, at Chesterville; H, April 27, at Sidney; I, April 22, at Steubenville, and K, April 25, at Columbus. Cos. A, B, C, D, I and K were ordered to Camp Jackson, Columbus, and E F, G and H to Camp Goddard, Zanesville.  The quota being full under the president's first call for 75,000 troops, the muster and regimental organization was delayed for several weeks, until the companies were mustered into state service. 

    After being mustered in the six companies at Camp Jackson joined the remainder of the regiment at Zanesville and there the regimental organization was formed and the equipment and drilling for the field actively engaged in until early in June, when it was ordered to move to Virginia.  Arriving at Bellaire, it crossed the Ohio river to Benwood, and was distributed along the line of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad as far as Grafton, with headquarters at Fairmount.  The regiment performed a large amount of marching and guard duty, and rendered valuable service to the government in assisting to stay the progress of the Confederates, who were endeavoring to carry the war into the North.  Its entire service was in this direction, with the exception of one expedition made to counteract the retreat of the Confederates from Carrick's ford.  It would have been successful in this expedition if the news had not been carried to the enemy of its approach.  The regiment then being on top of Knobby mountain, the Confederates at once broke camp and moved towards Petersburg.  Its term of enlistment about to expire, the regiment moved back on the railroad for a few days and was then ordered home to be mustered out, which was done on Aug. 18, 1861.  The casualties during its brief period of service were 2 killed in a railroad accident, 1 died from accidental gunshot wound, and 7 died of disease.

    Reports of Col. Thomas Morton, Twentieth Ohio Infantry, of operations from  July 13 to 15.

    HEADQUARTERS TWENTIETH REGIMENT O. V. M., Oakland, Md., July 20, 1861.

    SIR: On Saturday, July 13, at 11 o'clock a. m., I received your order directing me to withdraw such of the forces under my command as I might deem prudent from the line of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad between Benwood and Grafton, and join you at Oakland, Md. Accordingly I dispatched Maj. Lamison over the line of said road, with instructions to withdraw from said line Companies A, F, I, and K, and proceed with them to such points as might learn I would occupy, unless otherwise instructed. On the afternoon of same day I proceeded, with a detachment of one company of the Virginia First, Capt. Britt; one company of the Virginia Second; two pieces of artillery, under Capt. Daum; and Companies B and E, of the Twentieth Regiment O. V. M., to Oakland, at which place I arrived at 10 o'clock p. m. of said day. Owing to a want of the means of transportation, I was delayed at Oakland until 10 o'clock on Sunday morning, when I marched forward to the Red House, at which point I arrived at 2 o'clock p. m., and thence proceeded in pursuit of the rebel forces over the Northwestern turnpike, until I met you with your forces returning. While at the Red House, Maj. Lamison arrived with the forces under his command, having made a most orderly and rapid march, for the particulars of which I refer you to his report, a copy of which I herewith transmit. The officers and men under my command conducted themselves in the most soldierlike manner, and to their hearty co-operation and energy I am indebted for the promptness with they appeared at the points intended to be occupied.

    All of which is respectfully submitted.

    THOMAS MORTON, Col., Commanding Twentieth Regiment O. V. M.

    Brig. Gen. C. W. HILL, Commanding First Brigade, First Division, U. S. Troops.

    HEADQUARTERS TWENTIETH REGIMENT O. V. M., Grafton, Va., July 21, 1861.

    SIR: On Monday, July 15, I received your order to proceed with Companies A, Capt. Nichols; B, Capt. Dodds; E, Capt. Mott; F, Lieut. Taylor; I, Capt. Cable; K, Lieut. Adams, quartermaster (detailed to this special duty), of the Twentieth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Militia, and  Companies --- of the Twenty second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Militia, under Lieut.-Col. Turley; one detachment of a company of the Virginia First, Capt. Britt; one company of the Virginia Second, Capt. Ewing, and two pieces of artillery, under the command of Capt. Daum, numbering in all  about 900 men, to New Creek, on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and thence strike the Northwestern Virginia turnpike for the purpose of cutting off the retreat of the rebel forces passing over that road from Laurel Hill. The advanced guard, with the artillery, left Oakland at 4 o'clock p. m., under command of Maj. Lamison, but on account of the want of telegraphic communication was delayed by the conductor of the train until 8 o'clock p. m.  within one mile of Oakland.

    At 2 o'clock a. m., July 16, I arrived at New Creek, and at 3 a. m. put my command in motion, and for the want of means of transportation, and that my movements might not be delayed, I took no baggage, except one-third of the cooking utensils and one day's rations. We breakfasted after a march of six miles, and proceeded to Ridgeville, having learned that the enemy were in force at that place. Finding no force at that point, I proceeded, over a most rugged and difficult road, almost impassable for the artillery, to Martin's Gap, after a march of fifteen hours, making thirty-three miles, at which place your courier reached us, ordering us to join you at Greenland, two and a half miles distant, at which place we arrived at 11 o'clock a. m. on Wednesday, July 17.

    Joining your forces at Martrin's Gap, I learned that the advance of the enemy, about 1,000, had encamped at that place on Sunday, July 14, about 10 o'clock a. m., and that, learning of the approach of our forces, had hastily retreated on Saturday, at 6 o'clock p. m., for Petersburg. In their retreat they destroyed the bridge over Patterson's Creek, making the road impassable for wagons, and was therefore compelled to send artillery around over the Northwestern  turnpike, a distance of seven miles farther than pursued by my command.  Being without a baggage train and ambulance, with short rations, the march was a most trying one, and to the endurance of men and officers and their cheerfulness and hearty co-operation I am indebted for the celerity of my movements, and for which all deserve much praise.

    All of which is respectfully submitted.

    THOMAS MORTON, Col., Commanding Twentieth Regiment O. V. M.

    C. W. HILL, Brig.-Gen., Comdg. U. S. Troops in Western Va.

    Report of Maj. Charles N. Lamison, Twentieth Ohio Infantry, of operations July 13 and 14.

    HEADQUARTERS TWENTIETH REGIMENT O. V. M., Oakland, Md., July 20, 1861.

    SIR: At 1 1/2 a. m., Saturday, July 13, I received your order directing me to proceed over the line of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and with Companies A, F, I, and K, then stationed at different points on said line, with them to join you at Oakland, Md., or at such other point as I might learn you might then occupy. Accordingly, I at once ordered transportation from Wheeling, and dispatched Adjutant Evans over the line from Fairmont, who brought the several detachments to Grafton, at which place we arrived at 2 a. m. Sunday.  Owing to delays on the road, occasioned by trains on the road and the unwillingness of conductors to proceed, I did not arrive at Oakland until 12 o'clock m. Sunday. On my arrival, learning that you had proceeded to Chisholm's Mill, I at once, without taking any baggage, put my detachment in motion, and at 3 o'clock reached the Red House, on the Northwestern turnpike, at which place I met you returning with the forces under Gen. Hill. The conduct of the men and officers under my command is deserving of much credit, and to their energy and hearty co-operation I am indebted for rapidity of my movements.

    Respectfully, I am, yours,

    CHARLES N. LAMISON, Maj. Twentieth Regiment O. V. M.

    THOMAS MORTON, Commanding Twentieth Regiment O. V. M.

    Inventory Number: DOC 105 / SOLD