Grouping of personal effects carried by Edgar C. Earhart, who enlisted as a private in the 100-day 146th Ohio Infantry in May 1864. Earhart died two months later of disease in Fayetteville, West Virginia. The lot includes a rare federal contract white canvas haversack. Many of this pattern of haversack are identified to Ohio soldiers or units, thus prompting collectors to call them the "Ohio pattern," however there are examples with known usage from Maine, Connecticut and other states as well. The body measures 12" wide x 11" and the flap closes by means of a simple loop and bone button. It was made without body lining. The flap is bound in white worsted tape and, as with all haversacks of this style; a distinctive blue thread runs through the lower portion of it. The flap bears a faint makers/inspectors stencil and “E.C. Earhart Co. E 146th ONG. The carrying strap bears the initials “E.C.E” in two places. The haversack remains in excellent condition with staining typical from use in the field. Earhart’s canteen is a Cincinnati Depot pattern with soldered tin spout, narrow sling loops, cork stopper with square retaining nut, and jute stopper cord. The canteen retains its original brown jean wool cover with the large inked letters “E.C.E.” The sling is inscribed “E.C. Earhart Co.E. 146th ONG.” The canteen remains in excellent overall condition. The lot is accompanied by Earhart’s cup, constructed of rolled tin with small, riveted handle, measuring 4 ½” wide by 2” tall.
A fantastic grouping with a truly rare piece of soldier’s equipment, in a condition that reflects this young soldier’s short time in service before his death.
Edgar C. Earheart
Residence was not listed; 18 years old.
Enlisted on 5/2/1864 as a Private.
On 5/2/1864 he mustered into "E" Co. OH 146th Infantry
He died of disease on 7/12/1864 at Fayetteville, WV
OHIO ONE HUNDRED and FORTY-SIXTH INFANTRY (One Hundred Days)
One Hundred and Forty-sixth Infantry. - Col., Harvey Crampton; Lieut.- Col., John R. Hitesman; Maj., Thomas W. Brown. This regiment was organized at Camp Dennison, May 9 to 12, 1864 to serve for 100 days. It was composed of the 31st regiment, Ohio National Guard from Warren county; 35th battalion, from Clarke county; and the 24th battalion, from Lawrence county. On May 17 it moved to Charleston, W. Va., when Cos. A and H were detailed to guard Confederate prisoners at Camp Chase, O. On May 23 the regiment proceeded to Fayetteville, where it performed garrison duty. On Aug. 27 it was ordered to report at Camp Piatt for transportation to Ohio, and was mustered out on Sept. 7, 1864.
Inventory Number: GRO 062 / SOLD