Brass and tin identification stencil, privately purchased and used to mark a soldier’s personal effects and equipment, owned by Everett N. Mann of Company G, 56th Massachusetts Infantry. Mann enlisted in December 1863 and was wounded on May 31, 1864, at the Battle of Bethesda Church. He recovered from his wounds and was mustered out in July 1865. The stencil is non-excavated and measures 4 ¾” by 1 5/8”. A large-sized Civil War soldier’s stencil in very good condition. Accompanied by extensive soldier's history and regimental information.
Everett N. Mann:
Residence Abington MA; an 18 year-old Shoemaker.
Enlisted on 12/2/1863 as a Private.
On 12/29/1863 he mustered into "D" Co. MA 56th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 7/12/1865 at Alexandria, VA
He was listed as:
* Wounded 5/31/1864 Bethesda Church, VA
born 6/24/1847 in Hanover, MA
Member of GAR Post # 74 (Hartsuff) in Rockland, MA
Member of GAR Post # 112 (D. Willard Robinson) in Norwell, MA
Held GAR Offices:
* Post Commander # 74
FIFTY-SIXTH REGIMENT MASSACHUSETTS VOLUNTEER INFANTRY THREE YEARS
The 56th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf., the First Veteran Regiment, was recruited during the fall and winter of 1863 at Camp Meigs, Readville, Mass. A majority of the men enlisting in this and the other veteran regiments must have had at least nine months service in some other organization. The first four companies of the 56th were mustered into the service just after Christmas, 1863, the others in January and February, 1864. Charles E. Griswold, formerly colonel of the 22d Massachusetts Regiment, was made colonel.
The regiment left the State for Annapolis, Md., March 20, 1864. Here it was assigned to Carruth's (1st) Brigade, Stevenson's (1st) Division, Burnside's (9th) Corps. On the 23d of April, 1864, the corps received orders to march to Washington, near which city it remained two days. On April 27, it started for the Rappahannock, proceeding along the line of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. Arriving at Bealeton Station, April 30, it remained in camp until the 4th of May when it marched for Germanna Ford on the Rapidan River, crossed at that point, and followed the rest of the Army of the Potomac into the Wilderness. All day long May 5 it was within a short distance of the roar and confusion of the battle which was raging. On the 6th Stevenson's Division was heavily engaged near the junction of the Brock and the Plank roads, the 56th losing Colonel Griswold and eight men killed, 57 wounded, and 11 missing. Lieut. Colonel Weld now took command of the regiment and was commissioned colonel to date from the day of this engagement.
Moving to the left, the 9th Corps was in action on the Union left, near the Fredericksburg pike, at Spottsylvania, May 12, the 56th Regiment losing 10 killed, 41 wounded, and one missing. In the final assault on the Confederate lines, May 18, it suffered a further loss of five killed and 40 wounded. The division commander, Gen. Thomas G. Stevenson, had been killed by a sharpshooter May 10.
Near Ox Ford on the North Anna River, May 24, the regiment suffered a further loss of seven killed, 40 wounded, and 17 prisoners. Moving thence to Cold Harbor, it was in action May 31 on the extreme Union right near Bethesda Church, losing one killed, 11 wounded, and one missing. Three days later, on June 3, it was again engaged, losing two killed and seven wounded.
Crossing the James River, June 15, the 56th participated in the assault on Petersburg, June 17, losing 19 killed, 40 wounded, and five missing. During the next six weeks it lost six killed and 22 wounded by the fire of Confederate sharpshooters.
At the "Crater" fight near Petersburg, July, 30, 1864, the 56th formed a part of Bartlett's Brigade, Ledlie's Division. This division led the advance after the Confederate fort was blown up. Here the 56th lost 10 killed, 25 wounded, and 22 prisoners. In less than two months after it crossed the Rapidan the regiment had lost in known and recorded casualties 68 killed, 283 wounded, and 57 prisoners.
The regiment participated with loss in the battle of Weldon Railroad, Aug. 19, and at Poplar Grove Church or Peebles' Farm, Sept. 30. About the last of November it removed to Fort Davis on the Jerusalem Plank road, where it remained until Dec. 12, when it was transferred to Fort Alexander Hays some distance to the left. Here it remained during the winter of 1864-65.
On the morning of April 2, 1865, the 9th Corps, now under General Parke, joined in the assault on the Petersburg intrenchments, the 56th Regiment carrying and holding Battery 27, which had been built directly in front of Fort Sedgwick on and across the Jerusalem Plank road. In this assault the 56th lost Captain Randall of Co. "D" and two men killed and 13 officers and men wounded. After pursuing the enemy as far as Burkesville and there remaining until after the surrender of Lee, the regiment was sent to Alexandria, where it was mustered out July 12. Returning thence to Readville, Mass., on the 22d the regiment was paid off and discharged.
Comes housed in an 8 x 12 inch display case with blue velvet backing and descriptive card.
Inventory Number: IDE 163 / SOLD