Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Identified Lucius W. Pond Revolver from Gettysburg Museum - SOLD

    This item is out of stock

    Identified Lucius W. Pond Revolver from Gettysburg Museum - Inventory Number: GET 236 / SOLD

    .32 Caliber single action revolver attributed to 1st Sergeant John W. Calvert Company "I" 61st PA Volunteer Infantry.  Purchased at General Lee's Headquarters Museum auction on March 18th 2000.  Accompanying the pistol is documentation from the museum from Lee's Head Quarter Museum attesting to its ownership and copies of the inventory pages.  Additionally an original copy of the 61st PA regimental history. 

    John W. Calvert:

    Residence Pittsburgh PA; a 25 year-old Laborer.

    Enlisted on 2/4/1865 at Allegheny City, PA as a Private.

    On 2/17/1865 he mustered into "I" Co. PA 61st Infantry

    He was discharged (date not stated)

     (Absent wounded at muster out)

    He was listed as:

    * Wounded 4/2/1865 Petersburg, VA


    * 1st Sergt

    * 2nd Lieut 6/7/1865 (Not Mustered)

    He was described at enlistment as:

    5' 8", fair complexion, blue eyes, dark hair

    Other Information:

    Born in Knox, MO 


        Sixty-first Infantry.-Cols., Oliver H. Rippey, George C. Spear, George F. Smith, Robert L. Orr, Lieut.-Cols., George C. Spear, George F. Smith, George W. Dawson, John W. Crosby, Robert L. Orr, Charles S. Greene; Majs., George F. Smith, George W. Dawson, John W. Cosby, Robert L. Orr, Charles S. Greene, Oliver A. Parsons.  The 61st regiment was recruited at Pittsburg in Aug., 1861, and was mustered in at Camp Copeland on Sept. 7, for three years, numbering about 600 men.  Its colonel had served in the Mexican war and as lieutenant-colonel of the 7th Pa. infantry in the three months, service.

    Such was the demand for troops at this time that it proceeded to Washington before its ranks were filled.  Consolidated into six companies, it reported to Gen. Buell at Bladensburg, in Feb., 1862, and while here four companies under Maj. Spear were transferred to it from the 23rd regiment, which had fifteen companies, thus raising it to the maximum strength.  It was assigned to the 1st brigade, 1st division, 4th corps, and participated in much of the severe fighting of the Peninsular campaign.  It was present throughout the siege of Yorktown, but arrived too late to see much of the fighting at Williamsburg.  It suffered heavily at the battle of Seven Pines, losing 11 officers and 261 enlisted men and fighting with great gallantry.  Col. Rippey, Capt. Gerard, Lieuts. Moylan, Scott, Pollock and Rhodes were among the killed, and Lieut.-Col. Spear and Maj. Smith were wounded and captured, leaving the regiment without a field officer.  It was again active at Charles City cross-roads, Turkey bend and Malvern hill, losing 2 officers and 32 men in the last named battle.

    It encamped at Harrison's landing from July 2 to Aug. 16, when it moved to Yorktown and thence by transport to Alexandria.  On Sept. 2, it marched to Chantilly, but was too late for the engagement.  Soon afterward it moved on the Maryland campaign and met with some loss at Antietam.  It was encamped at Downsville from Sept. 23, to Oct. 31, being there assigned to the 6th corps, with which it remained until the close of its term of service.  It shared in the Fredericksburg campaign under Burnside, but met with only slight loss.  During the winter 1862-63 it was encamped on the left bank of the Rappahannock, participating in the "Mud March" in Jan., 1863. The following month, with four other regiments and Harn's light battery, it was organized into the light division of the 6th corps, intended for special service, to move quickly in emergencies.  With the corps, under Gen. Sedgwick, it shared in the severe fighting at Fredericksburg, Marye's heights and Salem Church in the Chancellorsville campaign.  In the desperate and successful assault on Marye's heights, the 61st led the storming column, Col. Spear being killed, and the total loss of the regiments during the brief struggle was 3 officers and 74 men.  As the light division had been greatly crippled during the severe fighting, it was now broken up and the 61st was assigned to the 3rd brigade, 2nd division 6th corps with which it moved on the Gettysburg campaign and arrived on that bloody field on the second day, after a trying march, and- immediately went into action.  By reason of the position assigned it, the 61st was not heavily engaged and met with small loss.  After the battle it shared in the pursuit of Lee and then went into camp for a month at White Sulphur springs.  During September it was engaged with its corps in watching the movements of the enemy and in October moved through Fairfax, Gainesville and New Baltimore to Warrenton, where it encamped.  In November it shared in the action at Rappahannock Station and then went into winter quarters at Brandy Station, where its ranks were filled by returning convalescents and recruits.  On May 5, 1864, it started on the Wilderness campaign, 500 strong, but in the almost constant fighting which ensued at the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, the North Anna river and Cold Harbor the regiment lost in killed, wounded and missing about 30 officers and 400 enlisted men. 

    On June 16, it crossed the James river and shared in the work of the siege of Petersburg until July 9, when it moved with its corps by transport from City Point to the defense of Washington, then menaced by Gen. Early.  It fought at Fort Stevens, losing 6 killed and 26 wounded, including Lieut.-Col. Crosby, after which it engaged in the pursuit of the enemy, encamping at Charlestown on Aug. 18.  Three days later it was engaged with loss at Flowing Spring, and soon after again encamped at Charlestown.  On Sept. 3, the original term of service having expired, all the members except veterans and recruits, proceeded to Philadelphia and were mustered out, the remaining members being organized as a battalion of five companies, which lost heavily at the battle of Winchester.  Of 128 men in action, 22 were killed and wounded.  It was also engaged with loss at Fisher's hill and Cedar creek, where the battalion was highly complimented for gallantry. Soon after this its ranks were increased to 350 men by the accession of 180 drafted men and the return of many of its wounded.  On Dec. 3, it rejoined the army in front of Petersburg and held a position on the Squirrel Level road until the close of the siege.  On March 2, 1865, two new companies were received from Harrisburg, increasing the number of companies to nine, and in January it received a beautiful flag presented by the citizens of Philadelphia.  On March 25, 1865, it participated with its division in the assault on the outer lines of the enemy's fortifications losing 18 in killed and wounded.  It participated in the final assault on Petersburg, April 2, losing in the short but sanguinary engagement a number of men, among whom were Col. Crosby killed, and Lieut.-Col. Orr wounded.  The next day it started in pursuit of Lee's fleeing columns and engaged the enemy under Longstreet at Sailors creek for the last time.  Returning to Burkesville after the surrender, it escorted the captured flags of the division to army headquarters.  It reached Danville, Va., on April 27, where it was detailed for provost duty until May 21, and then returned to Washington by way of Richmond.  On June 28, it was mustered out at Washington, and then proceeded to Pittsburg, where the men were paid and finally discharged from the service.  It was essentially one of the famous fighting regiments of Pennsylvania.

    Inventory Number: GET 236 / SOLD