Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Major Thomas Davies Maurice, MO 1st LA Battery and 1st Light Artillery by Brady / Sold

    This item is out of stock

    Major Thomas Davies Maurice MO 1st Infantry, MO 1st Battery, MO 1st Light Artillery  - Inventory Number: CDV 360 / Sold

    Seated view of Maurice by Brady New York.  Backmark: Brady's New York.  Pencil identification with date "April 30th 1861 Maj Maurice St Louis" and three cent stamp with partial date stamp.    

    Thomas Davies Maurice

    Enlisted on 5/1/1861 as a 1st Lieutenant.

    On 5/1/1861 he was commissioned into "G" Co. MO 1st Infantry

    He was transferred out on 9/1/1861

     (Estimated day of commission)

    On 9/1/1861 he transferred into MO 1st LA Batty B

    He was transferred out on 4/15/1862

     (Estimated day of transfer)

    On 4/15/1862 he transferred into MO 1st LA Batty K

    He was discharged for promotion on 1/1/1863

    On 1/1/1863 he was commissioned into MO 1st Light Artillery

    He was Mustered Out on 7/29/1865

     (Subsequent service in US Army from 02/23/1866 until

     his death)


    * Capt 6/10/1861

    * Major 1/1/1863

    Intra Regimental Company Transfers:

    * from company G to company B (As of 1st MO Infantry)

    Other Information:

    Born in New York

    Died 3/18/1885


    First Infantry MISSOURI (3-MONTHS)

    First Infantry. -- Col., Frank P. Blair, Lieut.-Col., George L. Andrews; Maj., John M. Schofield.

    The first three companies of this regiment were organized in response to the president's call for volunteers and were composed almost entirely of German Turners of St. Louis.  The officers tendered their commands to Gen. Harney, who refused to accept them, and they were mustered into service under the president's order to Capt. Nathaniel Lyon.


    They were the first U. S. troops to enter the St. Louis arsenal on April 22, 1861, and a few days later other companies came in, so that the regimental organization was completed on the 27th, with 1,020 officers and men.  Part of the regiment, under Capt. Harry Stone, was engaged in guarding the removal of arms and ammunition to Springfield, IL, and on May 10 the entire regiment participated in the capture of Camp Jackson.

    On June 10, a-month before the expiration of its term of enlistment, it was mustered into the three years' service, and on Sept. 18, was made the 1st artillery, under which its subsequent history will be found.


    First Artillery MISSOURI (3-YEARS)

    First Artillery. -- Cols., John V. Dubois, Warren L. Lothrop; Lieut.Cols., W. L. Lothrop, A. M. Powell; Majs., G. H. Stone, Frederick Welker, Nelson Cole, David Murphy, Charles Mann, A. M. Powell, Thomas D. Maurice.

    This regiment was first organized as the 1st Mo. infantry in April, 1861.  As an infantry regiment it took part in the capture of Camp Jackson, at St. Louis, and the battles of Boonville and Wilson's creek.  On Sept. 18, 1861, it was reorganized as an artillery regiment.

    One battalion -- Cos. E, F and G -- participated in Gen. Fremont's campaign in southwest Missouri.  The 2nd battalion -- Cos. D, H and K -- was ordered south on Feb. 1, 1862 and fought with Gen. Grant's army at Fort Donelson and Shiloh and then followed that intrepid commander to Corinth.  In the battle of that place on Oct. 3-4, 1862, it was charged several times, but these charges were repulsed, or the battalion withdrew in good order, only to take a new position and renew the fight.

    The 3rd battalion was also with Grant during the latter part of this campaign and distinguished itself by its accurate fire and stubborn resistance to the enemy.

    Meanwhile the 1st battalion was not idle.  In the numerous engagements with the guerrillas under Quantrill, Jackman, Freeman, Reeves, Coffee and others this portion of the 1st Mo. artillery was always ready.  Sometimes working as a battalion, often by battery, still oftener by sections, and sometimes by a single gun, it was a terror to the desperadoes.

    At the battle of Prairie Grove, Ark., the 1st Mo. won the commendation of Gen. Blunt for its effective service.  Soon after this the battalion was ordered to St. Louis, where its equipment’s were renewed, after which it was sent to Vicksburg and remained there until after the surrender of that place.

    Soon after the battle of Corinth the 2nd and 3rd battalions were broken up and the batteries separated.

    During the year 1864, Cos. A and B were with the Army of the Gulf, taking part in all the maneuvers of that army in Louisiana.

    Cos. C and H were sent to Gen. Sherman and fought in most of the engagements of the Atlanta campaign; Cos. D and G were stationed at Huntsville and Chattanooga; Co. E was mustered out at Brownsville, Tex., Co. F spent the year in Texas and Louisiana.


    Co. I was mustered out at Kingston, GA, Co. K was stationed at Little Rock, Ark., where it took part in several expeditions into the surrounding country; Co. L was stationed at Springfield, Mo., and Co. M was in Mississippi, taking part in the Meridian, Red River and Tupelo expeditions.

    In 1865, Co. H was with Sherman in the campaign of the Carolinas, and Cos. A and F participated in the reduction of Mobile and Montgomery, Ala.

    From Wilson's creek, Aug. 10, 1861, to Bentonville  N. C., March 21, 1865, the 1st Mo. was represented in nearly 100 battles, besides numerous skirmishes.  The thunder of its guns was heard at Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Champion's Hill, Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Dallas, Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Jonesboro and Nashville and on every field,  it acquitted itself with credit and won the praise of the commanding officers under whom it served.

    It fought in nine different states, and when the call came for reenlistments its men were among the first to respond.

    The last of the regiment was mustered out on Aug. 23, 1865.

    Inventory Number: CDV 360 / Sold