Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • New York 13th Militia Regiment Button, National Grays / Sold

    This item is out of stock

    New York 13th Militia Regiment Button - Inventory Number: BUT 156 / Sold

    New York Button, 13th Militia Regiment,"13" surrounded by wreath, on a lined field. Scovill MG Waterbury, convex, two-piece.  The 13th Militia Regiment, or "National Grays" served for three months in 1861, three months in 1862 and one month in 1863.  Backmark: "SCOVILLE MF'G CO / WATERBURY" rmdc.  

    Reference: Albert NY49, TiceNY230A1.


    Thirteenth Heavy Artillery ("National Grays").-Col. Abel Smith; Lieut.-Col., Robert B. Clark; Maj., Elbert H. Willets.

    This was one of the eleven uniformed regiments of militia which promptly moved to the relief of Washington at the outbreak of the war.  It was a Brooklyn regiment and left the state on April 23, 1861, 486 strong, proceeding by the steamer Marion to Annapolis, where it was mustered into the U. S. service for three months.

    Its strength was shortly increased to 793 men by recruits.  It served at Annapolis under Gen. Butler until June 19, quartered in the buildings of the U. S. naval academy.  It was engaged near the light-house at Smith's point, Chesapeake Bay, Md., on May 18, and the engineer corps of the regiment rebuilt the railroad from the station at Annapolis to the pier of the naval academy.

    On June 19 it moved to Baltimore, where it passed the remainder of its term of service.  It was mustered out at Brooklyn, Aug. 6, 1861, and many of its members subsequently entered the volunteer service in the 87th and 90th N. Y. infantry.  On May 26, 1862, the 13th was again summoned to the defense of Washington and left the state on the 30th, under command of Col. Robert B. Clark, with John B. Woodward, lieutenant-colonel, and Samuel K. Boyd, major.

    It was mustered into the U. S. service for three months and served nearly its entire term at Suffolk, Va., as part of the 7th corps.  It was mustered out at Brooklyn, Sept 28.  It went out a third time in 1863, when Lee invaded the North, leaving the state for Harrisburg, Pa., on June 20, for 30 days' service.

    Its field officers were Col., John B. Woodward; Lieut.-Col. William A. McKee; Maj., Joseph B. Leggett.  It served at Fenwick, Pa., in the 2nd brigade, 1st division, Department of the Susquehanna, and was mustered out at Brooklyn on July 20.  It was engaged during this campaign near Fort Washington, Pa.  Its losses during service in 1861 were 5 men, died of disease; in 1863, one enlisted man, a total loss of 6.

    Inventory Number: BUT 156 / Sold