Pair of Presentation Swords of Daniel J. Flanders 3rd New Hampshire Infantry "E" 1st New Hampshire Heavy Artillery Co. "F" - Inventory Number: SWO 113
Ames Foot Officers Sword
Ames Staff and Field Officers Sword
With inscriptions: "Presented to Capt. D.J. Flanders by the F. Co. Heavy Artillery N.H.V." and "Presented to Maj D.J. Flanders by the Nashua Light Guards Sept. 8th 1868".
Accompanied by binder containing Regimental History
Additional photos available upon request.
Daniel J. Flanders:
Enlisted on 8/6/1861 at Nashua, NH as a 1st Sergeant at 27 years of age
On 8/23/1861 he mustered into "E" Co. NH 3rd Infantry
He was discharged for disability on 7/2/1863
On 9/5/1864 he was commissioned into "F" Co. NH 1st Heavy Artillery
He was Mustered Out on 6/15/1865 at Washington, DC
* 2nd Lieut 4/15/1862
* 1st Lieut 11/16/1862
* Capt 9/5/1864 (As of Co. F 1st NH Heavy Artillery)
Born in Wheelock, VT
After the War he lived in Nashua, NH
THIRD REGIMENT NEW HAMPSHIRE VOLUNTEER INFANTRY. (THREE YEARS.)
By DANIEL ELDREDCE, late First Lieutenant Third Regiment
New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry and Historian of Regiment.
THIS regiment was the second to be raised in the State for a three years' term. It was brought together and wholly organized and mustered in during August, 1861, at Concord. Those men whose dates of enlistment were earlier than the large majority were from Hampton and its vicinity, and were in temporary service at Fort Constitution, Portsmouth, and known as "Winnacunnet Guards." These were later the majority of Company D; Companies A, C, and H were almost wholly from Manchester; Company K was largely from Dover; Company F nearly all from Nashua and its vicinity; Company G largely from Ossipee and neighboring towns; Company E from Milford and vicinity; Company B from Exeter and its immediate neighborhood; Company I from Rochester and adjacent towns. One company (C) was almost wholly of Irish birth or parentage. The regiment was encamped upon the "intervale” nearly opposite the southerly part of Concord, and upon the easterly side of the Merrimack river. Enoch Q Fellows, of Centre Sandwich was the person selected to be its Colonel. He was a West Pointer and had been with the First New Hampshire (three months' men), and was possessed of military skill and a military presence. John H. Jackson, of Portsmouth, was made Lieutenant-Colonel. Hehad been an officer in the Mexican war and had been brevetted there for gallantry. John Bedel, of Bath, another Mexican soldier was given the position of Major, while the Adjutancy was bestowed upon another Mexican soldier, Alfred J. Hill, of Portsmouth. The regiment started upon its mission September 3,1861, proceeding by rail to Allyn's Point, Conn. (via Worcester), where it took steamers to Hunter's Point, L. I., thence a few miles by rail to Mineola, which village was upon the large plain called Hempstead Plain, as that place was designed to be a camp of instruction for the several regiments intended to participate in a coastwise expedition. September 14, 1861, the regiment was ordered post-haste to Washington, and arrived there the 16th, going into camp east of the Capitol near the almshouse and jail. There the regiment stayed and drilled till early in October, when it was ordered to Annapolis, Md., where it and other regiments were to embark on their perilous errand. About the middle of October the embarkation took place, and the fleet concentrated at Fortress Monroe, from which place the final start was made the 29th of October. Gen. Thomas W. Sherman. commanding the expedition, was quartered upon the steamer "Atlantic" with the Third New Hampshire. In sailing, the "Atlantic" was given the post of honor, following the stately "Wabash." After the taking of Port Royal, S. C. (November 7), the regiment landed and remained on the island of Hilton Head till April, 1862.
A reconnaissance to Dawfuskee Island by the major part of the regiment occurred in March, 1862, and another reconnaissance was made to Bluffton and to Bull and Savage Islands, also in March, 1862. Early in April, 1862, the regiment was ordered to Edisto Island. The headquarters were established in the west central part of the island at Dr. Mitchell's plantation. Some of the companies were detached for plantations near by. During April, 1862, several reconnaissance’s were made to Jehossee Island. Early in June the regiment was ordered to James Island. It reached there only to find that the place was very near Charleston and was well guarded. Here the regiment had its first baptism in blood, 16th of June, 1862, Secessionville. Loss 105, killed, wounded, and missing. James Island was evacuated about the 1st of July, 1862, the regiment returning to Hilton Head, encamping in rear of the General Hospital. But a few days elapsed were the regiment was almost wholly ordered to various outposts, and continued in that duty till the capture of Company H, August 21, 1862, when the companies were all ordered to reunite at Hilton Head.
The next move of importance was the attempt to burn a bridge at Pocotaligo (C.& S. R.R., October 22, 1862. The regiment participated--wounded 3. Early in January, 1863, a large detachment was sent to Florida to assist in capturing a large lot of lumber; expedition failed; wounded, 3. During February, 1863, the regiment again divided, six companies goingto Pinckney Island; two remained in camp; one on provost guard; and the other on Hilton Head, but near the six companies. Early in April, 1863, started again for Charleston, but onlyto lie at anchor in Stono Inlet, while the naval engagement of April 7, 1863, was enacted. Shortly after, returned to Hilton Head again, but not to stay. Embarked again in April, 1863, and finally landed (eight companies) at Botany Bay Island, S. C. Companies E and I were landed at Bay Point, where they remained till early in June, when all concentrated at St. Helena Island. There the troops were organized and drilled for another onward movement. Left St. Helena, July 4, 1863, and landed on Folly Island. The lower end of Morris Island was taken early July 10,I863, the Third New Hampshire participating. The regiment also was support next morning for an unsuccessful charge on Wagner. The duties on Morris Island were very heavy, and from the day of landing there until the 28th of February, 1864, when the regiment left, there was an
almost unceasing demand for the various kinds of duty. In the charge on Fort Wagner, July I8, 1863, the regiment lost heavily. Its duties during the siege of Wagner--ending September 7, 1863-- were extremely severe, but somewhat lighter after that date. It had the post of honor on that memorable 7th of September, 1863. Shortly after the evacuation of Wagner, the regiment was ordered upon provost duty, as a respite from excessive duty in the trenches. Several of the regiment were recipients of the Gillmore medals, bestowed by General Gillmore for good conduct during the siege. These medals were of bronze and bore upon one side a representation of Sumter in ruins, while the other bore a facsimile of the General's official signature. The medal proper was attached to a bar, upon the face of which was engraver the name, rank, company, and regiment of the recipient. February 29, 1864, the regiment was ordered to Hilton Head to be mounted, and received its horses within a few days thereafter.
Meantime large numbers of the men had re-enlisted, and those went on their furloughs in a body, early in March, 1864' accompanied by eight officers.
The regiment was then mounted, and was designated "Third New Hampshire Mounted Infantry." They were ordered to Florida early in April' 1864. Encamped near Jacksonville. Soon after, four companies were sent up to Palatka, and returned therefrom in about a week. In the latter part of April' 1864, orders were received to dismount the regiment and prepare to go to Virginia. The regiment reached Virginia prior to the first of May, 1864, and were there joined by the re-enlisted men, who had been detained by the War Department until the arrival of the regiment. Then began the Virginia campaign, and the regiment had its full share in nearly every engagement of that period. At Drewry's Bluff; May 13, 14,15, and 16,1864, the regiment suffered heavy losses in both officers and men. May 18 and June 2 and 16 were all memorable days, and resulted in a further decimation of the regiment. The 16th of August, 1864, seemed the culmination, for on that day the regiment was well-nigh annihilated. Soon after (the 23d), the original men who had not re-enlisted, were mustered out. These away, and the regiment was small indeed--but a mere handful. In the latter part of August, 1864, the regiment was ordered to the line in front of Petersburg, and did duty there until the latter part of September, 1864, when it was ordered to the other side of the James river. There it was engaged September 29, and October 1, 7, 13, 27. In November, 1864, the regiment was sent to New York city, to defend the ballot box against a possible enemy, returning to its camp at Laurel Hill, Va., before the close of the month. There the regiment was apparently laid by for the winter; but in January, 1865, following the failure of the first expedition to Fort Fisher, the regiment was called upon to form part of the infantry force for a second attempt to capture that stronghold. The regiment went, and it is history that it was a part of the brigade finally called on to put an end to the struggle that had been waging for hours. It next distinguished itself at Sugar Loaf Battery, February 11, 1865, and next at Wilmington, February 22, 1865, entering that city with the other troops, having fought their way to it, only to find it abandoned at the last moment. The regiment did all sorts of duty at Wilmington, and at Goldsboro, N. C., to which latter place they went early in June, 1865, and there were finally mustered out July 20, 1865. At the two latter places the officers and men were placed on duty in many places of great honor, trust and responsibility.
The regiment returned to Concord the latter part of July, 1865, were temporarily furloughed, and were finally paid August 2, 1865.
Original, 1,035, officers and men. Additions brought total to 1,769.
The Third New Hampshire Volunteers was attached to First Brigade, Sherman's Division, Expeditionary Corps, September I8,1861; Headquarters Brigade, First Division, May 23, 1862; Second Brigade, Second Division, June 21, 1862; First Brigade, July 26, 1863; detached from First Brigade to perform provost duty, October 19, 1863; First Brigade, November 23, 1863; Second Brigade, First Division, Tenth Army Corps, May, 1864; Second Brigade, First Division, Twenty-fourth Army Corps, December 3, 1864; Tenth Army Corps, March 27, 1865.
E N G A G E M E N T S.
Port Royal, S. C.................................Nov. 7, 1861
James Island' S. C............................June 8-15, 1862
Secessionville' S. C............................June 16, 1862
Pinckney Island, S.C............................Aug. 21, 1862
Pocotaligo, S. C................................Oct. 22, 1682
Morris Island, S. C.............................July 10, 1863
Ft. Wagner, S. C. (first assault)...............July 11, 1863
Ft. Wagner, S. C. (second assault)..............July 18, 1863
Siege of Ft. Wagner, Morris Island, S. C.............July 10 to Sept. 6, 1863
Siege of Ft. Sumter, S. C.,........................Sept. 7, 1863, to Feb. 29, 1864
Chester Station (or Port Walthall Junction)Va.,....................................May 9, 1864
Drewry's Bluff, Va............................May 13-16, 1864
Bermuda Hundred, Va......................May 18, June 2, 1864
Near Petersburg, Va. June 9, 1864
Ware Bottom Church, Va..........................June 16, 1864
Deep Bottom, Va.................................Aug. 16, 1864
Siege of Petersburg, Va.,...........Aug. 24 to Sept. 28, 1864
New Market Heights, Va.........................Sept. 29, 1864
Near Richmond, Va................................Oct. 1, 1864
New Market (or near Laurel Hill), Va.............Oct. 7, 1864
Darbytown Road, Va..........................Oct, 13, 27, 1864
Ft. Fisher, N. C.................................Jan 15, 1865
Sugar Loaf Battery, N. C....................... Feb. 11, 1865
Wilmington, N. C.................................Feb 22, 1865
Inventory Number: SWO 113