Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Three Photographs of William W. Harding 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry / Sold

    This item is out of stock

    Three Photographs of William W. Harding 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry - Inventory Number: HAR 113 / SOLD

    One 1/4th Tintype of Private Harding with his model 1840 heavy cavalry saber and a colt Model 1860 Army tucked in his belt.  An additional CDV view of Harding in civilian attire and a tintype of Harding as a veteran wearing the Sheridan's Cavalry Corps badge.  

    William W. Harding

    Residence was not listed; 

    Enlisted on 10/30/1864 as a Private.

    On 10/30/1864 he mustered into "G" Co. PA 11th Cavalry 

    He was Mustered Out on 8/13/1865 at Manchester, VA


    Eleventh Cavalry.-Cols., Josiah Harlan, Samuel P. Spear, Frank A. Stratton; Lieut.-Cols., Samuel P. Spear, George Stetzell, Frank A. Stratton, James A. Skelly, Majs., George Stetzell, Samuel Wetherill, Noah M. Runyon, Frank A. Stratton, George T. Curnog, Albert J. Ackerly, James A. Skelly, John Cassells, Samuel N. Titus, J. E. McFarland, Robert S. Monroe, John S. Nimmon, Archibald A. Menzies.  The 11th cavalry, the 108th regiment of the line, known first as Harlan's light cavalry, was recruited in different states in Aug. and Sept., 1861, as an independent regiment and was mustered into the U. S. service at Philadelphia for three years. Co. A was recruited in Iowa, parts of E and F in New York, part of I in New Jersey, M in Ohio and the remainder of the regiment in Pennsylvania.  It moved to Washington, 1,130 strong, early in October and was assigned to Gen. I. N. Palmer's brigade, then encamped at Ball's cross-roads, Va.  On Nov. 13, it was designated the 108th regiment, Pa volunteers, as only state organizations were accepted.  From Nov. 17, to March, 1862, it was stationed at Fortress Monroe.  In March two companies were sent to Newport News, in May five companies were sent to Portsmouth and thence to Suffolk, being relieved by one of the companies from Newport News, the other five companies joined the Army of the Potomac in June at White House, moving to Suffolk on the 2Oth.  From Suffolk many excursions were made into the surrounding country and the enemy was frequently encountered, the most important actions being at Deserted House, the attack on Franklin and the defense of Suffolk.  On June 21, the regiment moved to Hanover Court house, where it arrived on the 26th, having been joined by the company which had been stationed at Portsmouth and Norfolk.  The works at this place, with a number of prisoners, were captured and the regiment moved to White House, where it started on a raid on the Richmond & Fredericksburg railroad.  Returning to Portsmouth an expedition was undertaken into North Carolina and the enemy encountered at Jackson.  An expedition into Mathews county, Va., followed in October, after which headquarters were established at Camp Getty near Portsmouth, whence various raids were made during the early winter.  At this time 400 members of the regiment reenlisted.  On Jan. 23, 1864, the 11th was ordered to Williamsburg, but returned to Portsmouth early in April.  In February, Co. G was sent to eastern Virginia on special duty.  In May a raid was made on the Weldon railroad, near the Nottoway river, followed by a raid on the Danville railroad at Coalfield and the South Side railroad.  From May 28, to June 9, the regiment encamped at Bermuda Hundred, after which an unsuccessful attempt was made to destroy the railroad bridge over the Appomattox.  On May 11, Cos. B and H were ordered on special duty at the headquarters of the 18th corps, Co. B rejoining the regiment on June 20.  Late in June the cavalry division undertook the destruction of the Danville railroad, along which and the South Side railroad, miles of track and much other property were destroyed, and sharp engagements fought at Stony creek and Reams' station.  July was spent in camp at Jones' neck on the James and while here Co. L relieved Co. G in eastern Virginia, the latter returning to the regiment.  Late in the month the division was made a part of Gen. Sheridan's force and joined in his famous operations, engaging the enemy at Reams' station and at other points along the Weldon railroad.  Stationed during September at Mount Sinai Church, the regiment returned to Jones' neck on Sept. 28, and was joined by Co. H.  In October the cavalry participated in a number of engagements in the vicinity of Petersburg and in November went into winter quarters north of the James.  In December it was engaged at New Market heights and in Feb., 1865, made a raid into Surrey and Isle of Wight counties.  Late in March it moved to join Gen. Sheridan at Reams' station and with him shared in the success at Five Forks on April 1, and the pursuit which followed, with frequent encounters culminating in Lee's surrender at Appomattox Court House.  Returning to Richmond it moved to Staunton and returned to Charlottesville, remaining there and in the vicinity until ordered to Richmond to be mustered out, which took place on Aug. 13, 1865.

    Inventory Number: HAR 113 / SOLD