Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • 1st New York Infantry Folding Knife / SOLD

    This item is out of stock
    1st New York Infantry Folding Knife - Inventory Number: EDG 096 / SOLD

    Crudely fashioned, pre-war bone handled folding pocketknife with the scrimshaw etching of a spread winged eagle on one handle and “1 Regt. N.Y. Vols. 1861” on the opposite. The knife measures 8 ½” when extended. The blade is rusted with a crude sharpening job, and the bone handles are in good condition and show wonderful age. A great early Civil War soldier’s pocketknife. 


    First Infantry.-Cols., William H. Allen, Garret Dyckman, J. Frederick Pierson; Lieut.-Cols., Garrett Dyckman, J. Frederick Pierson, Francis A. Leland; Majs., James M. Turner, J. Frederick Pierson, James P. Clancy, Joseph Seamans. The 1st regiment, recruited in New York city, was mustered into the U. S. service for a two years' term, at Staten Island, April 22 to 24 and May 3 to 7, 1861, and was the first regiment to be accepted for that length of time. On May 26 it embarked for Fortress Monroe; was there stationed until June 10, when it received orders to move to the support of the force at Big Bethel and was active at the battle of that name.

    Returning to camp until July 3, the regiment was then ordered to Newport News and remained there until June 3, 1862, receiving during the winter over 370 recruits. The most noteworthy incident of this period was the attack on the fortifications by the Merrimac on March 8, 1862. On June 6, 1862, the 1st was assigned to the 3d brigade, 3d division, 3d corps, Army of the Potomac; was engaged at Peach Orchard and Glendale during the Seven Days' battles, losing in the latter battle 230 members killed, wounded and missing; was active at Malvern hill, where it was transferred to the 2nd brigade, 1st division, 3d corps, and ordered to Yorktown, thence to Manassas, where it participated in the battle of Aug. 30.

    It fought at Chantilly and then remained in the defenses of Washington until Oct. 11, when it was attached to the 3d brigade, moved to Edwards' ferry, Middleburg and finally Falmouth, where it was stationed until the battle of Fredericksburg, in which it took part. Winter quarters were established at Falmouth until May 2 and 3, 1863, when the 1st was engaged at Chancellorsville, and on May 25, 1863, was mustered out at New York. During the two years' service, the regiment lost by death 113 members, 79 from wounds and 34 from other causes.

    Source:  The Union Army, Vol. 2, p. 50


     Inventory Number: EDG 096 / SOLD