Dedicated in 1893, this ‘castle’ on Little Round Top is the largest regimental monument on the Gettysburg battlefield. It was designed by Daniel Butterfield, the original Colonel of the 12th New York and Meade’s Chief of Staff at Gettysburg. It stands 44 feet high and 12 feet wide, dimensions that represent the two regiments, and has a spiral staircase to a second floor observation deck. The tower, which is not open to the public, is topped by the Maltese Cross symbol of the Fifth Army Corps.
Five bronze tablets outside the monument display information about the regiments. Inside, more tablets display the muster rolls of each company and reliefs of Generals Butterfield and Francis Barlow.
The 44th New York was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel James C. Rice, who took over the brigade during the battle, leaving command of the regiment to Lieutenant Colonel Freeman Conner. It brought 460 men to the field, losing 26 killed, 82 wounded and 3 missing.
The 12th New York consisted of two companies, D and E, and brought 117 men to the field, suffering no casualties. It was commanded at Gettysburg by Captain Henry W. Ryder.
Large format photograph, nicely mated, unframed. Mating measures 14 3/8" x 17 3/8".
Inventory Number: GET 258