51st Pennsylvania Battle Flag - Inventory Number: CDV 393
51st Infantry, this carte de visite photo is of one of the two guide markers returned by S. J. Gates, 195th Ohio in 1894. Led by Colonel John F. Hartranft. They were organized November 16, 1861, and most of the men re-enlisted in December 1863. The regiment was mustered out of service on July 27, 1865. The guide markers were presented to the 51st on March 10th, 1864 and were presumably carried until the end of the war.
Norristown, PA Civil War Monument
Erected by the Citizens
of Montg'y Co.
Sept. 17th, 1868,
in honor of our brave soldiers
and sailors who fell while
defending the Union during the
Great Rebellion, A.D. 1861-1865.
In memory of those who died that the nation might live
Our Patriotic Dead
The Dead Shall Live
Honor Roll of county men by unit, primarily in the 51st and 136th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, but also other state and federal units, including U.S. Colored Troops and the 54th Massachusetts.
$450 for the pair of images.
Inventory Number: CDV 393