Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Alexander A. Yard, 3rd NJ Infantry – 2nd NJ Cavalry – 3rd NJ Cavalry / SOLD

    This item is out of stock
    Alexander A. Yard - Inventory Number: CDV 401 / SOLD

    Served in the 3rd NJ Infantry – 2nd NJ Cavalry – 3rd NJ Cavalry

    Enlisted on 4/23/1861 as a 1st Sergeant.

    On 4/27/1861 he mustered into "A" Co. NJ 3rd Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 7/31/1861 at Trenton, NJ

    On 7/13/1863 he was commissioned into "I" Co. NJ 2nd Cavalry

    He was discharged for promotion on 4/22/1864

    On 4/22/1864 he was commissioned into "B" Co. NJ 3rd Cavalry

    He was Mustered Out on 8/10/1865 at Trenton, NJ



    * 2nd Lieut 7/13/1863 (As of Co. I 2nd NJ Cavalry)

    * 1st Lieut 1/12/1864 (As of Co. B 3rd NJ Cavalry)

    * Capt 7/31/1864 (As of Co. K)

    * Major 8/4/1865 (Not Mustered)

    Intra Regimental Company Transfers:

    * 9/1/1864 from company B to company K

    * 12/31/1864 from company K to company F

    NEW JERSEY THIRD INFANTRY MILITIA (three months) (Also known as the Nineteenth N. J. Infantry)

    Third Regiment--Militia.--Col., William Napton; Lieut.-Col., Stephen Moore, Maj., James S. Yard.  This regiment was mustered into the service of the United States at Trenton, April 27, 1861, to serve for three months, and left the state for Washington, D. C. on May 3, with 37 commissioned officers and 743 non-commissioned officers and privates, a total of 780. 

    The arrival of the troops at Annapolis was at once reported to Gen. Butler, who ordered the regiment to Washington.  (See preceding regiments.)  On May 23, at the evening parade, the 2nd, 3d and 4th regiments were paraded in heavy marching order, and being supplied with one day's rations, took up the line of march in silence about midnight for the bridge that spanned the Potomac river, which was reached and crossed at 2 o'clock on the morning of the 24th.  The 2nd was posted at Roach's spring and the 3d and 4th about half a mile beyond on the Alexandria road-the 3d being located near Abingdon house, the mansion of Bushrod W. Hunter, formerly a lieutenant in the U. S. navy.  On June 18, the 1st and 3d were advanced to a point near Roach's Mill, on the line of the Alexandria & Loudoun railway, to within 5 miles of the picket-guard of the enemy.  On July 16, 425 men of the 3d were detailed as an escort to a provision train, en route for the main body of the army, and eight days later, the term of service of the regiment having expired, it returned to New Jersey and was mustered out at Trenton, July 31, 1861.  The total strength of the regiment was 790.  It lost during its term of service, by resignation 1, by death 3, by transfer 2, by promotion 2, by desertion 7, discharged 20, mustered out, 755.

    NEW JERSEY 2ND CAVALRY (also known as the NJ 32nd Infantry)

    Second Cavalry.-Col., Joseph Karge; Lieut.-Cols., Marcus L. W. Kitchen, P. Jones Yorker Majs., Frederick B. Revere, Peter D. Vroom, Jr., Philip L. Van Rensselaer.  This regiment was recruited in the summer of 1863 and left Trenton for Washington on Oct. 5 of that year, reaching the capital on the following day with 890 men.  On Oct. 17 Co. A was attacked by Mosby at Fairfax, Va., and the company was routed, the captain, with 2 sergeants and 1 private being taken prisoners and 1 corporal wounded and left on the field.  Being transferred to the southwest, the first skirmish of importance took place at Iuka, Miss., where two companies of the regiment encountered a force of the enemy and drove it through the place, losing 1 man killed.  On Dec. 6, a change in the plan of operations in that quarter having been determined upon, the regiment was transferred by steamer to Columbus, Ky., whence, on the 15th, it proceeded to Union City, Tenn., where it was placed in the cavalry brigade commanded by Col. Waring, of the 4th Mo. cavalry.  In Jan., 1864, the command moved forward rapidly without encountering the enemy in any force, but meeting and dispersing small gangs of guerrillas, until the 2nd Jersey, having the advance, came into collision with and routed a force of hostile cavalry near Aberdeen, Miss., the same evening occupying Prairie Station and destroying an immense quantity of corn, together with cotton and other property belonging to the Confederate government.  The regiment, still advancing, skirmished for some hours with Forrest's cavalry, finally reaching the vicinity of West Point, about 100 miles north of Meridian, where Sherman's cooperating column had already arrived.  The following day it was also engaged and on Feb. 22 it participated in a fierce conflict at Okolona.  On April 10,  Maj. Yorke, with 300 men of the regiment, was sent against the enemy in the vicinity of Raleigh, Tenn., some distance north of Memphis, and coming up with the hostile force bravely charged into its midst, driving it into its brigade camp, after inflicting severe loss in killed and prisoners.  The regiment also participated in the fight at Bolivar, Tenn., and lost in the engagement 2 killed and 6 wounded.  The conduct of the regiment in the disastrous affair at Guntown, Miss., both in the main action and on the retreat, was creditable in the highest degree, but it suffered heavily, losing 8 officers and 130 men out of 17 officers and 350 men taken into action.  On July 11, with other troops, it moved in search of the enemy encountering him at Port Gibson, Miss., and losing in the combat which ensued, through alleged mismanagement, 2 men killed and Lieut. Braun, 26 men and 2 guidons captured.  Two days afterward, at an early hour in the morning, the enemy in some force made a sharp assault upon the Union picket line, pressing it with equal vigor along the entire front but the assailants were promptly met and after an hour's fighting were driven in confusion.  Being ordered into Arkansas and disembarking at Osceola, the command crossed a swamp some 18 miles in length, the mud and water reaching to the saddle-girths of the horses, to Big lake, where after some brisk firing a Confederate train consisting of some 18 wagons, loaded with over 900 stand of arms of approved pattern, together with 11 prisoners and 2 commissioned officers, was captured.  Reaching Verona, Miss., on Dec. 25, the command at once charged gallantly on the enemy, who was completely surprised and offered but a feeble resistance, most of them escaping into the timber under cover of the darkness leaving as spoils, eight buildings filled with fixed ammunition, estimated at 30 tons, 5,000 stands of new carbines, 8,000 sacks of shelled corn, a large quantity of wheat, an immense amount of quartermaster stores, clothing camp and garrison equipage, a train of cars and a large number of army weapons which had been captured by Forrest from Gen. Sturgis during the latter's disastrous expedition in June.  The regiment also participated in the fight at Egypt Station, in which 74 men and over 80 horses of the 2nd N. J. were killed or wounded.  The regiment returned by steamer to Memphis, having lost during the entire expedition 19 men killed, 69 wounded and 2 missing, and 155 horses and mules killed or disabled.  The regiment was finally mustered out on Nov. 1, 1865.  (This was also known as the 32nd N. J. volunteers.)


    NEW JERSEY 3rd CAVALRY(also known as the NJ 36th Infantry)

         Third Cavalry.-Cols., Andrew J. Morrison, Alexander G. M. Pennington, Jr.; Lieut.-Cols., Charles C. Suydam, William P. Robeson, Jr. Majs., Siegfried Von Forstner, S. V. C. Van Rensselaer, John V. Allstrom, Daniel R. Boice, Thomas K McClong, Ethan T. Harris.  This regiment, also known as the 36th N. J. volunteers, was recruited during the winter of 1863-64, and was mustered into the U. S. service on Feb. 1O, 1864, as the "First United States Hussars," though the name was not long retained.  It left Trenton on March 29, 1,200 strong, marching by way of Philadelphia and Wilmington to Perryville, Md., where it embarked on steamers and proceeded to Annapolis, being there attached to the 9th army corps.  The enemy being gradually compelled to fall back before the operations of Grant, the regiment pushed forward with its brigade-3rd brigade 1st division, Cavalry corps-sharing in the operations at Ashland, Old Church and other points, and showing the highest soldierly qualities in all the combats in which it participated.  Up to the middle of July its total losses in killed, wounded and missing amounted to 76.  On July 16, the command was transferred to Lighthouse Point but on the 25th it returned to its old position, and two days later lost several men from guerrillas while on picket, 1 being killed, 2 wounded and 2 captured.  At the baffle of Winchester its total loss was 130 men the killed including 1 captain and 1 lieutenant.  In the operations at Summit Point the regiment lost 6 killed, 25 wounded and 14 missing At Kearneysville its loss in wounded and missing was 30 men, and in the affair on the Berryville turnpike in September its loss was 1 killed.  After this affair, the regiment lay quiet until the 19th, when it participated in the battle of the Opequan, suffering some loss, but not sufficient to disturb the elation over the grand achievements of the day.  It was again engaged at Front Royal, losing some men, and on the 28th, being in the cavalry advance, it once more encountered the enemy at Waynesboro, where it suffered a loss of 1O in killed and wounded, but fought with its accustomed gallantry.  In the retrograde movement which followed, a movement designed to draw the enemy once more within effective striking distance, the regiment again proved its efficiency at Bridgewater, losing 9 men, at Brock's gap, and at Tom's brook, where it had a severe engagement with the now pursuing foe, its loss in that affair being 8 men.  Finally reaching Cedar creek, it went on picket, where it remained until the 13th, when it had a sharp fight, losing two men.  In the memorable battle of Cedar creek it was early placed in position, but was only moderately engaged.  In the subsequent operations in the Valley it had an honorable part, being engaged on the Back road and at Mount Jackson in the loss of the command in the latter affair being two men, killed and wounded.  In the spring of 1865 it was variously employed in the vicinity 1 of Petersburg until the last grand assault upon the enemy, when at Five Forks, fighting again with the scarred veterans who had swept Early from the Shenandoah Valley, it displayed conspicuous gallantry, sharing in all the perils as well as the splendid achievements of that memorable and glorious day, on which the power of the Rebellion was finally and forever broken.  The loss of the regiment was only 8 wounded, including Lieut.-Col. Robeson.  Joining in the pursuit of the flying foe, it had 1 officers wounded in a skirmish on the 6th, but was not again heavily engaged.  In due time Lee surrendered and the Confederate armies dissolved, when the regiment proceeded to Washington, and thence to 1 Trenton, where it was mustered out.  The total strength of the regiment was 2,234, and it lost during its term of service by resignation 17, by discharge 83, by promotion 47, by transfer 276, by death 145, by desertion 439, by dismissal 8, not accounted for 187, mustered out 1,032.

    Inventory Number: CDV 401 / SOLD