Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Allen G. Shepherd, MA 33rd Infantry, Company K / SOLD

    This item is out of stock

    Allen G. Shepherd, MA 33rd Infantry, Company K - Seated position, Heald & Bros backmark, Massachusetts.  Fought at Gettysburg. / SOLD

    Allen G. Shepherd:

    Residence Boston MA; 23 years old.

    Enlisted on 7/24/1862 as a Sergeant.

    On 7/24/1862 he mustered into "K" Co. MA 33rd Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 6/11/1865 at Washington, DC


    * 1st Sergt 11/29/1862

    * Sergt Major 3/29/1863

    * 2nd Lieut 5/12/1863

    * 1st Lieut 10/10/1863

    Other Information:

    Born in Tyrone, Ireland

    Member of GAR Post # 5 (General Frederick West Lander) in Lynn, MA

    Died 2/4/1903


    The 33d Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was organized at Camp Edwin M. Stanton, Lynnfield, in June and July, 1862.  It was at first a twelve-company regiment, and early in August was mustered into the service as such with Alberto C. Maggi as its colonel. On August 14, the regiment left Camp Stanton for the seat of war numbering 1200 men.  Companies L and M remained with the regiment until November when they were transferred to the 41st Regt. as Co's. I and K.

    By boat and rail the 33d proceeded to Washington, arriving Aug. 17.  Next day the regiment established its camp at Hunter's Chapel on the Virginia side of the Potomac.  During the latter part of the month it did patrol duty at Alexandria, and on October 10 was sent to Fairfax C. H. where it was attached to Smith's (2d) Brigade, Von Steinwehr's (2d) Division, Sigel's Corps which later became the 11th.  After movements to Thoroughfare Gap and White Plains in November, the regiment went into winter quarters near Falmouth just after the battle of Fredericksburg.

    About April 1,1863, Col. Underwood succeeded Col. Maggi in command of the regiment.  In May, as a part of Barlow's Brigade, Von Steinwehr's Division, Howard's (1lth) Corps it was present at Chancellorsville with only small loss.  At Gettysburg, July 1 to 4, 1863, the 33d was posted on East Cemetery Hill and later between that and Culp's Hill.  From this latter position, it helped to repel the attack of the brigades of Hays and Hoke just at dusk on the 2d of July.  In this action the regiment lost 8 killed and 38 wounded.  After this battle the 33d was encamped for nearly two months in the vicinity of Catlett's and Bristoe Stations on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad.  Here it received orders to proceed to the west, and on the last day of September it detrained at Bridgeport, Tenn.  Both the 11th and 12th Corps had been ordered to Tennessee to cooperate with the Army of the Cumberland.

    At Wauhatchie, Oct. 29, 1863, in a very severe engagement the 33d lost 35 killed, 58 wounded, and one missing.  After the battles of Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge the regiment went into winter quarters in Lookout Valley. In April, 1864, the 11th and 12th Corps were consolidated to form the 20th Corps commanded by Gen. Joseph Hooker and later by Genl. J. A. Mower.  As a part of the 3d Brigade, 3d Division, 20th Corps, Army of Georgia, the 33d started on its famous Atlanta campaign early in May, 1864.

    At Resaca, May 15, it was heavily engaged, losing 82 men, of whom 23 were killed or mortally wounded.  At Dallas, May 25, it was in action, losing 13 killed and 35 wounded, and again at Kenesaw Mountain, June 22, losing 8 killed and 18 wounded.  The regiment participated in the siege of Atlanta, the occupation of the city, the March to the Sea, the operations around Savannah, and in the northward march through Georgia and the Carolinas. Averysboro, N. C., fought March 16, 1865, and Bentonville, fought March 19, were the last battles of the regiment.  When Johnston's army surrendered, April 26, the 33d Regiment was doing guard duty at Raleigh, N. C. 

    It then marched back through Petersburg, Richmond, and Spottsylvania C. H. to its old Chancellorsville field, thence onward to Fairfax C. H. and the outskirts of Washington City.  Here on the 24th of May it participated in the Grand Review of Sherman's army.

    On June 10 the regiment was mustered out of the United States service.  Returning to Readville, Mass., the members of the regiment were furloughed until July 2, when they were assembled for the last time and paid off and discharged.

    Report of Lieut. Col. Godfrey Rider, Jr., Thirty-third Massachusetts Infantry, including march to the relief of Knoxville.

    HDQRS. THIRTY-THIRD REGT. MASSACHUSETTS VOLS., Lookout Valley, December 19, 1863.

    SIR: I herewith report to you the doings of this regiment from.  November 22 to December 17 instant.

    November 22, left camp and marched to Chattanooga, and encamped for the night.

    November 23, at noon, formed in column and marched in line of battle to the enemy, threw out our pickets, made rifle-pits, and held the position in front of the enemy.

    November 25, advanced in front to the railroad, made strong breastworks down to the left of the line of battle to join Gen. Sherman; formed line of battle, left wing on the railroad and the right  wing perpendicular to it, joining the One hundred and thirty-sixth New York,; threw up strong breastworks and posted pickets in front of our lines.

    November 26, took up our line of march and proceeded beyond Chickamauga and halted for the night, having formed numerous lines of battle during the day.

    November 27, marched in column, with flankers on our right, to Red Clay Station, where we formed in line of battle between the Fifty-fifthOhio, on our left and One hundred and thirty-sixth New York on our right; threw out pickets on our flanks and beyond the right of the brigade; tore up several hundred yards of the railroad, and destroyed the sleepers and rails by large fires. Hence we marched back some 6 miles, more or less, and halted for the night.

    November 29, took up our line of march and reached Cleveland at dark.

    November 30, marched to Charleston.

    December 1, marched to Athens.

    December 2, marched through Sweet Water to Philadelphia.

    December 3, marched to Loudon.

    December 5, marched to Louisville.

    December 7, left Louisville for Chattanooga, and arrived in our old camp December 17, near dark; our men badly off for shoes, clothing, blankets, and tent-flies.  Killed, none; wounded slightly, 4; missing, 3.

    All of which is most respectfully submitted.


    Lieut.-Col., Comdg. Thirty-third Massachusetts.

    Capt. B. F. STONE.

    Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

    Report of Lieut. Col. Godfrey Rider, jr., Thirty-third Massachusetts

    Infantry, of operations May 2-21.


    SIR: I have the honor to report that the Thirty-third Massachusetts Volunteers left their camp in Lookout Valley on the 2d day of May, 1864, proceeding, in connection with the Third Brigade, to a position near Buzzard Roost, Ga., the march occupying seven days.

    On the 8th, Sunday, the regiment advanced with the brigade to a gap near Buzzard Roost, forming a junction with the right of the Fourteenth Corps, the brigade returning at night to the remainder of the Third Division, Twentieth Corps. Monday, 9th, the brigade again advanced to the gap, where it was formed in line of battle on the right of the Fourteenth Corps, a portion of the Thirty-third being thrown forward as skirmishers; but at 2 p. m. of that day the brigade was again withdrawn and returned to the division. Wednesday, 11th, the line of march being again taken up and passing through Snake Creek Gap, the regiment was stationed with the brigade on a range of hills in close proximity to the enemy, a portion of the regiment being again advanced on the skirmish line and sustaining a loss of 1 killed and 2 wounded. At the battle of Resaca, during a number of bayonet charges the regiment lost 15 killed and 65 wounded; among these were First Lieut.'s Parker and Bumpus killed and First Lieut. J. H. Williams wounded. During the skirmish of May 19, near Cassville, Ga., the regiment had 2 men  wounded.

    GODFREY RIDER, JR., Lieut. Col., Comdg. Thirty-third Massachusetts.

    Capt. JOHN SPEED, Actg. Asst. Adjt. Gen., Third Div., Twentieth Corps.

    Report of Maj. Elisha Doane, Thirty-third Massachusetts Infantry.

    HDQRS. THIRTY-THIRD REGT. MASSACHUSETTS VOLS., Atlanta, Ga., September 10, 1864.

    At the commencement of the spring campaign, which opened May 2, 1864, the Thirty-third Massachusetts, in connection with the Third Brigade, Third Division, Twentieth Army Corps, left their pleasant camp in Lookout Valley, Tenn., and after a series of marches arrived at a position near Buzzard Roost, near which the enemy was found to occupy a strong position on Rocky Face Ridge, forming a portion of the defenses of Dalton. On the 9th of May, the Third Brigade was detached from the corps and proceeded to Mill Creek Gap, a distance of four miles, where line of battle was formed, and two companies from the Thirty-third were deployed as skirmishers; after a short skirmish the brigade was withdrawn and returned to its former position. May 11, reveille sounded at 2 a. m., and the column having passed through Snake Creek Gap, arrived at a position near Resaca and formed line of battle. On the skirmish line May 14, Company C had 1 man killed and 2 wounded. May 15, the Third Division having been relieved it proceeded to join the First and Second Divisions, which had previously been sent to re-enforce the Fourth Corps on the left, and upon arriving at the latter position the Third Division was immediately engaged with the enemy. During this battle the Thirty-third charged three successive hills, sustaining a loss of 82 in killed, wounded, and missing. Among the casualties were First Lieuts. H. J. Parker and Edgar L. Bumpus killed and First Lieut. J. H. Williams wounded. Remaining in camp near Cassville three days, the line of march was again taken up, and, crossing the Etowah River, arrived at a position near Dallas on the 25th of May, where the Second Division of the Twentieth Army Corps was already engaged with the enemy. The Third Division was immediately ordered up and the conflict became general. After remaining in the front line of battle more than eight hours the Third Brigade was withdrawn and fell back about 500 yards. In this engagement, the Thirty-third lost 59 in killed, wounded, and missing; among these, Capt.Turner, of Company C, was wounded in the hand.

    On the 1st of June, having been relieved by the Fifteenth Corps, Gen. Hooker's command proceeded to a position about five miles from Acworth and upon the right flank of the enemy. It having been ascertained that the enemy had retreated, the troops were put in motion, and, after driving the enemy from several lines of riflepits, arrived at a position near Kenesaw Mountain. During a series of skirmishes the Thirty-third lost 4 wounded; among these First Lieut. H. P. Marston, wounded June 16. June 22, the Thirty-third Massachusetts was deployed as skirmishers, covering the front of the Third Brigade, and, charging the enemy's works, took possession of a hill on the left of the Second Division, the regiment losing 25 in killed, wounded, and missing. Capt. C. E. Graves, of Company K, was wounded in the foot. The enemy having again abandoned their lines of intrenchments, pursuit was resumed on the 3d day of July; moved a few lines daily until the 6th of July, when we encamped about three miles back from the Chattahoochee River. Remained in this position until July 17, when the Thirty-third was detailed as division train guard. August 27, was relieved from duty as division train guard and ordered to report to Col. Harrison, post commandant, near the bridges over the Chattahoochee. September 5, the Thirty-third was relieved from this duty and ordered to report to Gen. Slocum, in Atlanta. The regiment is at present on duty in Atlanta guarding prisoners of war.

    Respectfully submitted.

    ELISHA DOANE,  Maj., Cmdg. Thirty-third Massachusetts.

    Capt. C. H. YOUNG,  A. A. A. G., 3d Brig., 3d Div., 20th Army Corps.

    Report of Lieut. Col. Elisha Doane, Thirty-third Massachusetts Infantry, of operations September  5--December 21.

    HDQRS. THIRTY-THIRD MASSACHUSETTS VOLUNTEERS,  Savannah, Ga., December 24, 1864.

    SIR: In accordance with circular received at these headquarters, I have the honor to submit the following report:

    This regiment entered Atlanta Monday, September 5, and was immediately assigned to duty as guard at the military prison upon Peach Tree street. Monday, September 12, it was relieved from this duty and ordered to report to Col. W. Cogswell, Second Massachusetts Volunteers, post commandant, for duty as provost guard. The regiment was continued upon this duty during the occupation of the city by our forces. During this period, no foraging parties were sent out, but a small detail accompanied two general foraging expeditions and brought in each time a wagon load of corn fodder.

    November 16, the regiment broke, camp and started upon the march with the other regiments of the provost guard in the rear of the Fourteenth Corps. It moved on the line of the Augusta railroad as far as Covington; thence south, through Eatonton to Milledgeville, reaching the latter place November 23. At this point the regiment joined the brigade and has since remained with it.

    Daily foraging expeditions were sent out from November 18 to December 10, inclusive. During the march the regiment was supplied almost entirely from the country. The following is as accurate a statement as I am able to give of the supplies so obtained: 330 bushels’ potatoes, 2,800 pounds fresh pork, 10 bushels corn meal, 5 barrels sorghum, 3 barrels beans, 375 chickens and other poultry, 8,250 pounds corn; also 3,200 pounds fresh beef received from brigade commissary.

    The number of horses, &c., captured was as follows: 3 horses, 3 mules,19 head of cattle.

    I have no destruction of railroad to report, not having been detailed for that purpose during the march.  The report of the regiment since leaving Milledgeville is simply that of  the brigade. I have to report no casualties pr skirmishes during the march or since arriving before this place.

    Respectfully, yours,

    ELISHA DOANE, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg.

    Lieut. P. E. WATSON, Aide-de-Camp.

    Report of Lieut. Col. Elisha Doane, Thirty-third Massachusetts Infantry, of operations January 16-March 24.

    HDQRS. THIRTY-THIRD MASSACHUSETTS VOL. INFANTRY, Goldsborough, N. C., March 27, 1865.

    January 16, 1865, the Thirty-third Regt. Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry being in camp at Cheves' farm, Beaufort District, S. C., received orders to break camp and march the ensuing morning. In accordance with these orders the tents were struck and the regiment took up the line of march at 8 a.m. January 17. Reached Hardeeville at 1 p.m. and encamped. Further supplies of clothing being necessary for the men and the weather proving exceedingly unfavorable, the regiment remained here until January 29. At 7 a.m., January 29, where we march and proceeded to the vicinity of Sister's Ferry, where we remained in camp one day (February 1) awaiting further supplies.

    February 2, marched at 7 a.m. and arrived near Lawtonville about the middle of the afternoon. The enemy having attacked our advance, we were halted at this point and formed in line of battle, the First Division forming the first line, and the third closed en masse acting as supports.  After remaining in position a short time, no enemy appearing we were withdrawn and went into camp. February 8, having reached the Augusta railroad the night before, we commenced destroying the road. Continued on the road until February 11, when we marched from White Pond in an east-northeasterly direction. February 16, arrived within two miles of Columbia; crossed the Saluda February 18; passed through Winnsborough February 21. February 22, reached Rocky Mount about 3 p.m. and encamped. At 12 that night crossed the Wateree. February 27, remained all day at Hanging Rock, which point we reached the afternoon of February 26.

    March 3, encamped near Sneedsborough, N. C., and remained until 10 a.m. March 5, when we resumed our march. There being no bridge at this point, we were compelled to retrace our steps to Cheraw in order to cross the river. March 7, crossed the Great Pedee at 3 a.m.  Encamped at sundown, near the Wilmington and Laurel Hill Railroad. March 12, in camp all day near Fayetteville. March 13, passed through Fayetteville and crossed the Cape Fear River. Went into camp about 3.

    Just after dark this regiment and the Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry struck tents and advanced about four miles and encamped for the night. The next morning the remainder of the regiments composing the brigade came up, and the whole advanced about six miles upon the reconnaissance in force. The enemy was found strongly entrenched in front. Some skirmishing occurred in which, however, the Thirty-third, being in the rear, took no part. The regiment returned to its camp of the morning at dark, and, after a short halt, returned to the camp of the day before and rejoined the brigade. March 16, marched at 6 a.m. Shortly after heavy firing commenced in front. Advanced about two miles and formed line of battle, the Thirty-third taking position on the extreme right of the brigade. Two companies were immediately deployed as skirmishers and the conflict became general. After remaining in this position several hours our line advanced about a mile, the enemy having fallen back to a fortified position. Heavy skirmishing continued throughout the day until dark, when the firing ceased.

    In this engagement, the Thirty-third lost 1 officer and 11 men wounded (1 mortally). The enemy having withdrawn during the night the march was resumed the next morning, the Third Division marching to Averasborough, about three miles distant, where it remained until the morning of the 18th.

    March 18, marched at 7 a.m.; overtook the train about midday, and continued marching with it until 4 o'clock the next morning. March 19, marched at 9 a.m., guarding the train. About 1 p.m. heavy firing being heard in front, we left the trains and pushed rapidly forward. After marching about three miles, the Third Division, together with the First, arrived on the ground where the Fourteenth Corps was hotly engaged with the enemy. This brigade immediately formed line of battle by battalion en masse in rear of the First Division, which was then supporting the Fourteenth Corps, the Thirty-third taking position on the right. Soon after our brigade was detached from the division and ordered to a position in the front line, for the purpose of occupying a gap between two divisions of the Fourteenth Corps. The Thirty-third was placed in the second line for the purpose of protecting the right flank; the enemy in the meantime making several unsuccessful attempts to break our lines. Two companies were immediately deployed as skirmishers to cover our right flank. The musketry continued with great rapidity until after dark, when it gradually ceased. The men were then ordered to construct works, as the enemy was reported to be in heavy force in our front. The pickets were quiet through the night, no firing taking place. In this engagement, we lost five men wounded. At 10 a.m. the following day the brigade was relieved by the Fourteenth Corps, and marched to join its division on the left. Here we remained until 3 p.m., when we removed still farther to the left and fortified. We immediately established pickets and remained quiet through the night. On the morning of the 22d, the Thirty-third, with the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin, made a reconnaissance of the extreme right of the enemy; some shots were exchanged, after which we returned to our works, with the loss of one enlisted man wounded. In the afternoon, we returned to our position of the previous day. March 23, broke camp at 5 a.m. and resumed our march; crossed the Neuse River and encamped a short distance beyond.  Broke camp the next morning at 4 a.m. Passed through Goldsborough, where we were reviewed by Gen. Sherman, and reached our present camp a little past noon.  The amount of forage obtained by the regiment during the campaign is, as near as can be ascertained, as follows:

    Bacon.......................................cwt......   150

    Pork.......................................pounds.... 7,230

    Potatoes...................................bushels...   500

    Flour......................................barrels...    25

    Meal.......................................bushels...   231

    Lard.......................................pounds....   925

    Beans.......................................do....... 1,200

    Fowl.......................................head......   970

    Sorghum....................................barrels...     6

    Dried apples...............................pounds....   150

    Sugar.......................................do.......    33

    Corn.......................................bushels...   406

    Cotton destroyed...........................bales.....   109


    I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

     ELISHA DOANE, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg.

    Inventory Number: CDV 234 / SOLD