Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Ames Presentation M1850 Foot Officers Sword Presented to Captain John L. Swift by the Roxbury Reserve Guards

    This item is out of stock

    Ames Presentation M1850 Foot Officers Sword - Inventory Number: SWO 098 -SOLD

    Presented to Captain John L. Swift by the Roxbury Reserve Guards

    ·       35th Mass. Infantry

    ·       3rd Mass. Cavalry

    ·       41st Mass. Infantry

    ·       Senator

    ·       Promoted to General after the War

    John Lindsay Swift:

    Enlisted on 8/1/1862 as a Sergeant,  a 34 year-old Storekeeper.

    On 8/10/1862 he mustered into "K" Co. MA 35th Infantry 

    He was discharged for promotion on 8/17/1862

    On 9/4/1862 he was commissioned into "C" Co. MA 3rd Cavalry 

    He Resigned on 6/1/1864

     (Occupation listed as: "Custom House Officer")


    * Capt 8/25/1862 (As of Co. C 3rd MA Cav)

    Other Information:

    Born in 1828

    Member of GAR Post # 68 (Benjamin Stone, Jr.) in Dorchester, MA

    Died 2/19/1895 in Roxbury, Ma

    (Served at the Boston Custom House after war.)

    After the War he lived in Dorchester, MA


         The 35th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was organized at Camp Stanton, Lynnfield, and was composed mostly of men enrolled in eastern Massachusetts.  It was recruited during July and the early part of August, 1862, and its members were mustered into the service largely between August 9 and 19.  Under Col. Edward A. Wild the regiment left for the seat of war August 22, reaching B. Washington on the 24th.  On Sept. 8, it was assigned to Ferrero's (2d) Brigade, Sturgis' (2d) Division, Reno's (9th) Corps.

         Joining the Army of the Potomac it took part in the battle of South Mountain, Sept. 14, 1862, where Col. Wild lost his left arm.  At Antietam, Sept. 17, under command of Lieut. Col. Carruth, the regiment lost 214 officers and men, of whom 69 were killed or mortally wounded.  At Fredericksburg, Dec. 13,1862, it again suffered severely, losing Major Willard, who was in command. It camped during the early part of the winter near Falmouth.

         On Feb. 9, 1863, it was transferred to Newport News, Va., and, after a few weeks stay at this place, was sent with the 9th Corps into Kentucky, being stationed at Mount Stirling, Lancaster, Stanford, and other places.  Lieut. Col. Carruth now became colonel of the regiment.  It was next ordered to Vicksburg, Miss., to reinforce Gen. Grant, remaining about four weeks, until the surrender of the city, July 4.  It participated in the pursuit of Johnston's army to Jackson, Miss., and was present at the capture of the city, then returned to its old camp near Vicksburg.  From here it proceeded by boat and train to Cincinnati, reaching there the 14th of August.

         Proceeding to Knoxville, Tenn., which it reached Oct. 22, it participated in the defense of the city against Longstreet.  After the close of the siege, Dec. 4, the 35th soon proceeded to Blain's Cross Roads, where it remained, enduring great privations, until January, 1864.  After various movements  -to Knoxville, Morristown, and elsewhere-  the regiment returned to Cincinnati.  Here, April 1, it entrained for Baltimore, Md., from whence it took boat for Annapolis.

         In the reorganization of the 9th Corps the regiment, now commanded by Major Nat Wales, became a part of Carruth's (1st) Brigade, Stevenson's (1st) Division.  During the battle of the Wilderness, May 5 and 6, and the first part of that of Spottsylvania, May 8 to 12, the 35th was in charge of the supply train of the 1st Division, and was not engaged.  Returning to its brigade, May 17, on the following day it was in the last assault on the Confederate lines at Spottsylvania, moving thence to the North Anna River, where it was again engaged, May 25.

         It was now detailed as an engineer corps for the 1st Division.  At Cold Harbor, June 3, it was posted near Bethesda Church and suffered light loss.  Crossing the James on June 15, the regiment participated in the siege of Petersburg.  At the Crater fight, July 30, it was heavily engaged, losing 12 killed and 34 wounded.  At Weldon Railroad, Aug. 19, it was again engaged with loss.  It was now reduced to two officers and about 100 men present for duty.  In another reorganization ofthe 9th Corps early in September it was assigned to Curtin's (1st) Brigade, Potter's (2d) Division.  About this time there were added to the regiment 385 German and French substitutes, recently arrived in this country and ignorant of the English tongue.  Major Hudson now commanded the regiment.  At Poplar Spring Church, Sept. 30, it was severely engaged, losing 163 prisoners.  For two months it was now posted near Forts Fisher and Welsh. During the midwinter it was stationed in the rear of Fort Sedgwick (Fort Hell).  From March 7, 1865, until the fall of Petersburg, April 2, it formed a part of the garrison of this fort.  It then joined in the pursuit of Lee's army and was at Farmville when the news came of the surrender.

         Arriving at Alexandria, Va., April 28, it remained as a part of the garrison of the District of Columbia until June 9, when it transferred its recruits to the 29th Regiment and was mustered out of the service.  Returning to Readville, Mass., on June 27, the men were paid off and discharged.

    MASSACHUSETTS 3RD CAVALRY (Originated from the 41st Infanry) Three Years

         Third Cavalry.-Cols., Thomas E. Chickering, Lorenzo D. Sargent, Burr Porter, Frederick G. Pope; Lieut.-Cols., Ansel D. Wass, Lorenzo D. Sargent, John F. Vinal, Frederick G. Pope, David P. Muzzey; Majs., Lorenzo D. Sargent, John F. Vinal, James McGee, Jonathan E. Cowen, S. Tyler Read, David T. Bunker, Edward L. Noyes, Frederick G. Pope, David P. Muzzey, William M. Gifford, Charles Stone, John A. Comerford.  This regiment was formed from four organizations already in the field, viz.: the 41st infantry, and the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd companies unattached cavalry.  A sketch of the 41st infantry, prior to the period of its consolidation to form the 3rd cavalry, having been elsewhere given, it will be necessary to give only an outline of the previous history of the three unattached companies.  Plans having been made to enlist two carefully selected companies of "Mounted Rifle Rangers," the 1st was recruited in Boston during Sept., 1861, by Capt. S. Tyler Read, and completed its organization Nov. 15; the 2nd was filled before the close of the year, as was a 3rd company of the same nature, the last two being finally organized on Dec. 27, 1861.  The 2nd was commanded by Capt. James McGee of Lowell, and the 3rd, by Capt. Henry A. Durivage of Boston.  On Jan. 13 1862, the three companies sailed from Boston harbor for Ship island Miss., where they arrived on Feb. 12, and were organized as a battalion under Capt. Read, acting major.  When Gen. Butler's division was formed into brigades, one company was attached to each brigade.  The 1st, as part of the 1st brigade, left Ship island, April 16, 1862, for New Orleans, and was stationed in its defense until May 1, 1864.  The 2nd left Ship island, May 21, joined the brigade at Baton Rouge, under Maj.-Gen. Williams, shared in the engagement there and when the city was evacuated, returned to New Orleans, where it remained until the spring of 1863, forming most of the time a part of Weitzel's brigade.  The 3rd had the misfortune to lose its captain, who was drowned in the Mississippi April 23, 1862, and his place was filled by the appointment of Jonathan E. Cowan of the 1st company, but as he was on leave of absence, the organization served under Lieut. Perkins.  The 

    3rd was attached to Weitzel's brigade in Sept., 1862, and was often in action, but met with slight loss.  It was encamped at Thibodeaux, La., during the winter of 1862-63.  After the consolidation of the four organizations, June 17, 1863 the companies of the 41st infantry retained their original letters, while the 2nd unattached company was designated L, the 3rd M, the 1st continued to be known as "Read's company," and received no letter, as the regiment had thirteen companies.  The new organization remained under the command of Col. Chickering and took part in the siege of Port Hudson, remaining at that point until the close of the year 1863, engaged in the active duties falling to the cavalry arm of the service.  In the spring of 1864, it took an active part in the Red River expedition, during which it did its full duty losing in the severe action at Sabine cross-roads, 9 men killed, 64 wounded, and 157 of the horses.  On June 25, the regiment was dismounted and armed as infantry and during the following month was transferred to Maryland, where it became part of the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, 19th corps.  After sharing in the various movements in the Shenandoah Valley it was heavily engaged at the battle of Winchester, losing 104 officers and men out of about 600 in action.  It was again engaged at Fisher's hill, and Cedar creek, losing in the latter action 77 killed and wounded.  On Dec. 28, 1864, it went into winter quarters at Pleasant Valley Md., where it was again equipped as cavalry in Feb., 1865, and reporting to Gen. Chapman at Winchester on March 1, engaged in scouting and other duties until April 20.  Near the close of the year 1864, the three independent companies were mustered out of service, and their places were taken by one year troops from Mass.  The original members of the 41st infantry were mustered out on May 20.  The regiment took part in the grand review with Sheridan's cavalry corps; proceeded in June, to Fort Leavenworth, Kan.; served in the States of Kansas and Nebraska during the summer, and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Sept. 28, 1865.  It reached Boston Oct. 5, and three days later the men were paid and discharged at Galloupe's island.  The total number in the regiment was 98 officers, 2,090 enlisted men.  Its losses were 5 officers and 81 men killed or died of wounds; 3 missing; 2 officers, 135 men died by accident or disease, and 32 died as prisoners.  Beginning with the muster in of the 41st regiment, it had served more than 35 months, traveled 15,000 miles, and was in more than 30 engagements.

    Inventory Number: SWO 098 -SOLD