Rare canteen patented by Charles Bartholomae of New York City on July 9, 1861. The kidney shaped canteen had a mesh spout that accommodated an additional threaded filter tube, which would have been stored in the center tube. The inside of the “induction opening” or tin funnel has a soldered brass label with patent date. The Army ordered 1,000 Bartholomae patent canteens for field trials. While there were no more government contracts, Bartholomae’s canteen became a popular private purchased item and was advertised in Schuyler, Hartley and Graham’s 1864 catalogue. The canteen would have originally had a wool cover and adjustable leather carrying strap. It measures 6” tall, 6 ½” wide and 2 1/3” deep. This example was well used and has a large push in the front that has opened the soldered seam at the bottom. There are two small holes punched near the top of the canteen, likely from an early relic board. Original stopper is present. A very scarce Civil War canteen for your collection.
Inventory Number: CAN 126 / SOLD