British manufactured coat-sized, two-piece “lined C” Confederate cavalry button, in partially burned condition. The descriptive tag accompanying the button reads “as the city of Richmond fell in 1865 Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell, Richmond’s military commander, was under orders to destroy the city’s tobacco, cotton, and foodstuffs to prevent the Federal forces from using them. He ordered the Confederate troops to set fire to four of the principal warehouses of the city. This button was excavated from the site of one of these, the mayo Warehouse.” A historic relic from the waning days of the Confederacy.
Comes housed in a 6 x 8 inch display case with red velvet backing and descriptive card.
Inventory Number: CON 326 / SOLD