Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Captain John McKnight Bloss, Company F, 27th Indiana Infantry

    This item is out of stock

    Captain John McKnight Bloss, Company F, 27th Indiana Infantry - Inventory Number: CDV 237 / SOLD

    John McKnight Bloss:

    Residence New Philadelphia IN; a 22 year-old School Teacher.

    Enlisted on 9/12/1861 as a Sergeant.

    On 9/12/1861 he mustered into "F" Co. IN 27th Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 10/13/1864

    He was listed as:

    * Wounded 5/24/1862 Winchester, VA

    * Wounded 9/17/1862 Antietam, MD (Wounded in both legs)

    * Wounded 5/3/1863 Chancellorsville, VA (Slightly wounded in right leg)

    * Wounded 5/15/1864 Resaca, GA (Wounded in left arm)

    * Returned 8/2/1864 (place not stated)


    * 1st Lieut 9/18/1862

    * Capt 4/27/1864

    Other Information:

    Born 6/21/1839

    Died 5/26/1905 in Hamilton Township Delaware County, IN

    Buried: Beech Grove Cemetery, Muncie, IN

    Found Gen Lee's"lost order" at Frederick, MD - Assisted in the discovery of Special Order 191, lost by Lee before Antietam.  Special Order 191 (series 1862) (the "Lost Dispatch," and the "Lost Order") was a general movement order issued by Confederate Army General Robert E. Lee on about September 9, 1862 during the Maryland Campaign.   A lost copy of this order was recovered in Frederick County, Maryland, and the subsequent military intelligence gained by the Union played an important role in the Battle of South mountain ad Battle of Antietam.  

    Twenty-seventh Infantry INDIANA (3 years)

    Twenty-seventh Infantry.  Col., Silas Colgrove; Lieut.-Cols. Archibald T. Harrison, Abisha L. Morrison, John R. Fesler; Majs., John Mehringer, William S. Johnson, George W. Burge, Theodore F. Colgrove.

    This regiment was organized at Indianapolis in Aug. 1861, and was mustered in Sept. 12.  It left the state Sept. 15, for Washington City where it was transferred to Banks' Army of the Shenandoah in October.

    It was in winter quarters near Frederick City, Md., and joined the movement in Shenandoah Valley in March, 1862, marching into Winchester on the 9th and after the battle of March 22-23, joined in pursuit of Jackson's army.  It was in the battles of Front Royal and Winchester in May, holding back a vastly superior force for nearly 4 hours, after which it fell back with the army and engaged the enemy in the public streets.

    It became part of Banks' division of Pope's Army of Virginia at Culpeper Court House and with that command participated in the battle of Cedar Mountain.  It then took part in the Maryland campaign and was actively engaged at Antietam, where it lost heavily.  It was then placed on picket duty, on the Opequan creek, and during the winter moved to the vicinity of Fairfax Station, where it remained until spring.

    It participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, losing heavily, and in pursuit of Lee's invading army marched with the 12th corps through Maryland into Pennsylvania, reaching Gettysburg in time to take a prominent part in that battle, and in the resistance to Pickett's charge on July 3, suffering heavy loss.

    It then joined in the pursuit of the retreating army to the Potomac.  In September, it was transferred to the West with the 12th corps and was stationed at Tullahoma, Tenn., during the fall and winter.

    A portion of the regiment reenlisted on Jan. 24, 1864, and after their return from furlough, it joined Sherman in Georgia, participating in the battle of Resaca, where, on an open field, it defeated the 32nd and 38th Ala., inflicting heavy loss and taking the battle flag, colonel and 100 prisoners of the 38th.  Its own loss was 68 killed and wounded.

    It participated in all the marching and skirmishing, battles and assaults of the army in the Atlanta campaign, moving to the city at its conclusion.  The non-veterans were mustered out Nov. 4, 1864, the veterans and remaining recruits being transferred to the 70th regiment, and serving with it through the campaign to Savannah and up through the Carolinas.

    On the muster-out of the regiment they were transferred to the 33rd, with which they served until its muster out at Louisville, July 21, 1865.  The original strength was 1,052; gain by recruits, 116; reenlistments, 154; total, 1,322.  Loss by death, 275; desertion, 47; unaccounted for, 52.

    Cedar Mountain, VA after action report: No. 10.

    Report of Col. Silas Colgrove, Twenty-seventh Indiana Infantry.


    SIR:I have the honor of submitting the following report of the part taken in the battle of the 9th instant by the Twenty-seventh Regiment Indiana

    Volunteers: My regiment occupied the extreme right of our brigade in the position first occupied. I was ordered by you to throw two companies forward and occupy an advanced position. I immediately sent Companies F and C about three-quarters of a mile to our right and front, occupying a high ridge of ground covered with timber, and deployed a part of each company forward about one-quarter of a mile as skirmishers, holding about half of each company on the highest part of the ridges as reserves. From this position the surrounding country for some distance was in plain view, and from the disposition made of the two companies our right was amply secured from surprise by any flank movement of the enemy on our right. Shortly after this disposition had been made of my two companies the artillery on our front and left commenced firing, which continued until about 6 p.m.

    At or about this time I received orders from you through your assistant adjutant-general, Capt. Scott, for me to form my regiment and march to the front, which order I complied with as promptly as possible. I marched to the front and near the Sixteenth Indiana Battery and was then halted by your command, as I suppose, for some minutes and until I received orders to march to the front and on the right of the Second Massachusetts Regiment. I immediately marched to the front and right to again my position in compliance with the above order. As soon as I had gained the desired position I halted the regiment and formed line of battle in an open field about 300 yards in front of the foot of the ridge in our front, which was covered with a thick undergrowth and heavy timber.  About the time, I commenced forming my regiment into line the Third Wisconsin Regiment, or six companies of it, that had been brought into the action some time previous, fell back out of the woods and came down the hill apparently badly cut to pieces, a part of whom rushed through my ranks and delayed me some in forming my line of battle.

    As soon as my line was formed I marched to the front in order to bring my regiment into action. To gain the position of the enemy I had to cross an open space of ground of about three yards, through which meandered a small stream, with very deep and steep banks. In crossing this my ranks became considerably broken. I halted the regiment a moment in order to adjust m ranks. At this time, you rode up on my right and ordered me forward at double-quick. The regiment moved forward at double-quick time. I think we had at this time about a quarter of a mile to go until we reached the enemy. 

    The shape of the hill and woods was such that it brought my left wing to the foot of the hill and into the woods at least 100 yards before the right wing reached the woods. The hill on my left was also steep and abrupt. From these causes the left wing of my regiment was not able to come into action as promptly as the right. The whole regiment having had to pass through the woods and uphill at double-quick, the result was that no part of the line at any time during the action was as perfect as it should have been. When we had traversed the hill, and crossed the woods on its summit we suddenly came to a wheat field. We had scarcely reached the enclosure before the enemy opened a very heavy fire upon us, which was promptly returned by my right wing, the left not having arrived yet upon the line of battle. The enemy appeared to be posted in great numbers in the woods in our front across the field and within rifle-range. They also had skirmishers thrown forward and screened behind the stacks of wheat in the field on my right and nearly at a right angle with my line. The enemy had a regiment drawn up in line of battle, the line extending nearly across the field and facing toward my left. This regiment also opened a cross-fire upon me.

    Shortly after the left wing came up and engaged the enemy it was reported to me that we were firing upon our own troops. I saw you at the right of my regiment and rode forward and informed you of my information. You replied that you would ride forward and see. By this time a large portion of my regiment, in consequence of said report, had almost ceased firing. I saw you on the right of my regiment ride forward to the fence and immediately a very heavy fire was opened upon that part of the line by the enemy upon you. I cannot conceive how you possibly escaped it without injury. From this moment, the firing of the enemy became heavier along the whole line, I suppose induced by the temporary slacking of the firing in my lines. The firing of the enemy seemed to me to increase. I soon saw symptoms of disorder in my ranks, and in spite of all I could do the regiment fell back, and was not rallied until it reached the open ground on the other side of the woods, a distance of 150 to 200 yards. In rallying and reforming the regiment at this point, and indeed during the whole action, I was aided by yourself and your staff, and particularly Capt. Scott, your assistant adjutant-general, whose energy and bravery it is impossible to commend too highly.

    My regiment being reformed, we advanced across the hill the second time, and when again near the line of the first battle I halted my men in order to correct and close up my lines and rest them a moment, after which we marched to the front and opened fire upon the enemy. We had fired but one or two rounds when I was informed that the enemy had gained our rear on the right flank. I immediately rode to the right of my line, and by the time I got there I found a regiment of the enemy marching in column by companies a little in front of my line and within 20 steps of my right. I immediately gave the order to my right to change front by the right flank and by file right, which order was obeyed by Company A only. The enemy opened a very heavy fire upon us. Myregiment was soon compelled to fall back a second time, and was not rallied until we had retreated to the creek in the bottom. At this point again you in person (and I noticed Capt. Wilkins, assistant adjutant-general, of Gen.  Williams' staff, and Capt. Scott) assisted me in rallying the regiment.

    From this point I was ordered by you to fall back on my original position.  There are many cases of individual bravery, and especially among my non-commissioned officers, that I might mention. The whole conduct of my regiment and officers transpired under your own personal observation, so far as it was possible for one man to observe. I therefore forbear making any special mention of it.  Enclosed is a list of casualties of the regiment during the action.*

    Your obedient servant,

    S. COLGROVE, Col. Twenty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteers.

    Gen. GEORGE H. GORDON, Comdg. Third Brigade, Second Corps, Army of Virginia.

    Antietam after battle report: Report of col. Silas Colgrove, Twenty-seventh Indiana Infantry, of the battle of Antietam.


    September 22, 1862.

    SIR: I be leave to submit the following report of the part taken by my regiment (Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteers) in the action of the 17 the instant, near Sharpsburg, Md.:

    About sunrise in the morning I received orders to get my regiment under arms. I immediately formed my regiment in column by battalions closed in mass, right in front. The brigade was promptly moved to the front, the Second Massachusetts occupying the right, the Third Wisconsin second, my regiment third, the One hundred and seventh New York fourth, and the Thirteenth New Jersey the left or rear. In this position the brigade was moved forward, I should judge, a distance of two-thirds of a mile. At this point, as by this time the action had become general and severe on our left your direction, the brigade was immediately to the left. The Second Massachusetts, Third Wisconsin, and Twenty-seventh Indiana Regiments move to a point designated by you, formed their line of battle on a swell of ground immediately in front of a corn-field, in which the battle had been raging for some time. Our troops in the corn-field, a part of Gen. Hooker's division, had been badly cut up, and were slowly retreating. When we first gained our position, the corn-field or nearly all of it, was occupied by the enemy. This field was on a low piece of ground, the corn very heavy and serving to some to screen the enemy from view, yet the colors and battle-flags of several regiments appearing above the corn clearly indicated the advance of the enemy in force. Immediately in front or beyond the corn-field, upon open ground at a distance of about 400 yards, were three regiments in line of battle and farther to the right, on a high ridge of ground, was still another regiment in line diagonally to our line. When we first took our position, it was impossible to immediately open fire upon the enemy without firing into our own troops, who were retreating out of the corn-field. As soon as these troops had field past my left, I immediately ordered my regiment to fire, which was done in good order. The firing was very heavy on both sides, and must have continued for more than two hours without any change of position on either side. It was very evident from the firing that the enemy was greatly superior in numbers at this point. The only force during this time place engaged was the three old regiments of your brigade. At one time during this part of the engagement the fire of the enemy was so terribly, destructive it seemed that our little force would be entirely annihilated.

    After the fight had raged for about two hours without any perceptible Advantage to either side, some of our forces (I have never learned whose) came up on our left in a piece of woods on the left of the corn field, and opened and enfilanding fire upon the enemy. This fire and ours in there front soon proved too hard for them. They broke and fled, in utter confusion, into a piece of woods on the right. We were then ordered to fix bayonets and advance, which was promptly done. Advancing through the corn-field, we changed front to the right by throwing our left forward. We had advanced over the larger portion of the ground when we were ordered to halt. I soon discovered that Gen. Summer's corps had arrived and were fresh, not yet having been in the action, and the work of dislodging the enemy from the woods, designed for your shattered brigade, had been assigned to them. At a later hour in the day my regiment and the Third Wisconsin were ordered to advance nearly over the same ground to the support of the Second Massachusetts, Thirteenth New Jersey, and One hundred and seventh New York who had been posted in or near the woods held by the rebels, to the rear of the corn-field. We promptly advanced nearly to the woods, but before we could get there our forces had been cut up and had fallen back. The two regiments held their position until the enemy had been driven back by a well-directed shower of grape, and canister from one of our batteries, after which we took up a position in rear and in support of the batteries.

    The Twenty-seventh Regiment, as well as the balance of your brigade of your brigade, was under arms from before sunrise until after dark, and although the main part of the fighting they were engaged in occurred in the fore part of the day, yet during the whole day they were frequently exposed to heavy fire from the enemy's artillery. At night I was temporarily, by you, place in command of the brigade, and the whole brigade marched to the front and nears the front and nearest the enemy in support of our batteries in front. Although our men had gone into the fight without breakfast and had fought all day, they performed this arduous duty at night, not only without grumbling but with cheerfulness.

    Subsequent events of the day have disclosed to us that the troops your brigade so bravely fought and conquered at the battle of Antietam were the same troops you fought at Winchester on the 25th of May last--Ewell's old division, eight regiments--Louisiana, Georgia and South Carolina regiments.

    I am proud to be able to report to you that I believe every officer and man of my regiment who went into the fight with me did his whole duty. I saw no man or officer who took a backward step during the whole day unless ordered to do so.

    I went into the fight with 443, rank and file. My loss in action was, in  killed 17, in wounded, 192. Most of the wounds are slight, may, however, severe, and mortal. Quite a number of the wounds amputations have been necessary. Twelve deaths among the wounded have been reported to me. A list of killed and wounded is herewith submitted.* Your obedient servant,

    S. COLGROVE, Col. Twenty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteers.

    Brig. Gen. GEORGE H. GORDON, Comdg. 3rd Brig., 1st Div., Bank's Corps, Army of the Potomac.

    Chancellorsville, VA after battle report:

    No. 273.

    Report of Col. Silas Colgrove, Twenty-seventh Indiana Infantry.


    May 10, 1863.

    SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by my regiment in the battle of Chancellorsville, Va., on the night of the 2d, and Sunday, May 3:

    On Saturday evening, after the reconnaissance made by the Third Brigade between the hours of sundown and dark, Capt. Scott, your assistant adjutant-general, indicated to me my position in the line of battle. Being the left of the brigade, I drew my regiment up in line at, or nearly at, right angles with our breastworks or the original line, the eight right companies resting inside of the breastworks, the two left companies outside and on a line with the other eight companies. At this time immediately in rear of my left was a perfect jam of artillery and caissons, many of which had been abandoned; some of them had been left standing, horses and all; in some instances the limbers had been dropped, and in others the teams were cut loose, leaving everything. As near as I could learn, but few officers remained with them. I finally succeeded in finding a Lieut. Lewis, of what battery I did not learn.  I requested him to put two pieces on my left, on a high point of ground commanding the ravine in front of the breastworks. He could only find 5 or 6 of his men, and I made a detail from my regiment to assist him. We finally succeeded in getting the two pieces in position. About this time a line officer of the One hundred and tenth Pennsylvania Regiment came up with about 200 men, and reported that he had no field officers with him, and requested me to take charge of them. I put them in position in rear of the artillery, with orders to support it, which they did with alacrity and bravery. I wish to remark here that these men stayed with me during the night and through the fight next day, and behaved most gallantry.

    About the time I had succeeded in getting the two pieces of artillery in position, a portion of the One hundred an seventh New York Regiment reported to me without a field officer. I put them in position on my left, which brought them in front of the right regiment of Gen. Geary's division. I immediately notified the commanding officer of that regiment that my line extended in his front. This was done in order to prevent them from firing into us by mistake. These arrangements were scarcely completed before the rebels made a charge upon our breast-works with terrific yells. I immediately caused both pieces of artillery to open fire, first with shell and afterward with grape and canister. I am very confident that the fire from these two pieces of artillery, enfilading the whole length of the ravine and abatis in front of the breast-works, did much to check the rebels' advance. These are the only incidents that came under my notice during the night, excepting some firing on the right of our line, in which it is feared two of our regiments fired into each other by mistake.

    Shortly after sunrise on Sunday morning, the 3d, the enemy, having obtained possession of our breastworks on the right, advanced on our line and opened fire.

    In a very short time the whole line became engaged. The enemy advanced steadily, delivering their fire with telling effect. Our whole line stood firm. No part of the line yielded an inch or wavered. The enemy poured in regiment after regiment of fresh troops, determined to break the line; but whenever and wherever they made their appearance they found our fire so deadly that they were forced to halt and seek shelter behind the timber and rises in the ground.

    After the battle, had progressed an hour or more, my officers notified me that the ammunition was running out. I immediately rode up to the right of the line to find you. I found that all the other regiments were also running short of ammunition. I would not see you, and was informed that Capt. Scott, assistant adjutant-general, had been wounded and had left the field. I immediately ordered the whole line to fix bayonets and charge, which was done in gallant style. The rebels' fled before us like sheep, and took refuge behind the breastworks and reopened fire upon us. After delivering a few rounds, I ordered a second charge. Our men charged to the breastworks on the extreme left of our line. In some instances, a regular hand-to-hand fight took place.  The enemy soon gave way, and, being in our abatis, they were soon thrown into the utmost confusion. While endeavoring to retreat through the brush and tree-tops, they became mixed up in a perfect jam, our men all the time pouring in the most deadly fire. I can safely say that I have never witnessed on any other occasion so perfect a slaughter.  Many of them made no attempt to get away, but threw down their arms and came into our lines. I think I am safe to say that we took from 150 to 200 prisoners, and sent them to the rear.

    In short, the enemy at this time had been drive from our front over the breastworks through the abatis into the woods beyond in utter confusion. All this time there was very heavy firing going on, on our right, and was fast gaining our rear. I soon ascertained that our forces were being driven back. I immediately ordered our line to fall back, which it did in good order, and formed again on the original line of battle.

    By this time many of our men were entirely out of ammunition, and but a few rounds remained to any. The enemy were still advancing on our right and our forces falling back. At this critical moment, I received orders from you to fall back in good order, which was done.

    Before closing this report, I desire to pay a just tribute to the brave soldiers and officers of this brigade. To say that the tree old regiments-the Second Massachusetts, Third Wisconsin, and Twenty-seventh Indiana-fully sustained the reputation they won at Cedar Mountain and Antietam, is the very highest compliment that can be paid them. I consider these the three best regiments I have ever seen in action.

    I had an opportunity of witnessing the manner in which the One hundred and seventh New York and Thirteenth New Jersey Regiments acquitted themselves during the engagement, and take great pleasure in stating that the officers and men behaved handsomely and fought bravely. Troops of their experience could scarcely have done better.

    Enclosed please find a complete list of killed, wounded, and missing of this regiment.*

    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

    S. COLGROVE, Col. Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteers.

    Brig. Gen. THOMAS H. RUGER, Cmdg. Third Brig., First Div., Twelfth Army Corps.

    No. 274.

    Report of Lieut. Col. John R. Fesler, Twenty-seventh Indiana Infantry.


    May 13, 1863.

    SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by the Twenty-seventh Indiana Regt. in the battle of Chancellorsville, Va., on the night of the 2d, and Sunday, May 3:

    On Saturday evening, after the reconnaissance made by the Third Brigade between the hours of sundown and dark, Capt. Scott, your assistant adjutant-general, indicated to Col. Colgrove the position he wished him to take in line of battle, being the left of the brigade.

    About the time the line was formed, a line officer of the One hundred and tenth Pennsylvania Regt. came to the colonel with about 200 men, and requested him to take charge of them, which he did, and had them formed on the left of our regiment. They remained with our regiment during the night and through the fight the next day, and fought bravely. There was occasional firing on the right of our regiment during the night, but, with the exception of a few stray shots, there was none in our front.

    Shortly after sunrise on Sunday morning, the enemy obtained possession of our breastworks on the right, and advanced on our line and opened fire. The colonel then gave the command, and the men went in, and the enemy soon found our fire so deadly that they were compelled to fall back and seek shelter behind the timbers. The colonel then moved our regiment out by the right flank, forming a line nearly at right angles with our breastworks, the left of our line resting against the breastworks, or nearly so. By this time, the enemy advanced on us with fresh troops, and the ball opened again. Our men stood firm, and fought bravely until they were about out of ammunition. The colonel then ordered a charge, which was made successfully, driving the enemy until we gained possession of the breastworks, and, having them in our abatis, they were soon thrown into confusion, our men all the time pouring in the most deadly fire. In a short time the Col. ascertained that they were gaining our rear by the right, and ordered the regiment to fall back to the original line, which was done in good order. By this time our men were all our of ammunition, with a few exceptions. The enemy were still gaining our right, and our line giving way. The colonel then ordered our regiment to fall back, which was done in good order.  During the engagement I think I can safely say we took 150 prisoners.

    The officers and men of this regiment behaved well and fought manfully throughout the engagement.

    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

    JOHN R. FESLER, Lieut.-Col. Twenty-Seventh Indiana Volunteers.

    Brig. Gen. THOMAS H. RUGER, Cmdg. Third Brig., First Div., Twelfth Army Corps.

    Gettysburg after battle report: Report of Lieut. Col. John R. Fesler, Twenty-seventh Indiana  Infantry.

    Kelly's Ford, Va., August 8, 1863.

    Sir: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part  taken by the Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteers at the battle of  Gettysburg, Pa., July 2, 3, and 4:

    When the command of the regiment was turned over to me, it was occupying a position on a hill and to the right of Gettysburg, in front of where the Third Brigade bivouacked on the night of the 1st instant, with skirmishers out in front of the regiment.  I received orders from you, through Maj. T. F. Colgrove, about 8  a. m., to march the regiment to a position occupied by the remainder  of the brigade, which I did, and by your orders took my position on the right of the brigade and in rear of a cliff of rocks, but that not giving shelter to the two left companies, I had breastworks of stone erected to shelter them from the fire of the enemy's sharpshooters.

    About 6 p. m. I received orders from you to move the regiment to the left of the line, which had been hotly engaged during the afternoon.  Arrived there about dark, and, by your order, formed the regiment in line of battle on the right of the brigade, and had skirmishers deployed in front.  After remaining there for about twenty minutes, was ordered by you to call my skirmishers in and move back to my former position.  Just before arriving at the ground I had formerly occupied (or within 200 yards of there), I then, in accordance with your orders, sent one company forward as skirmishers, to ascertain if the position was unoccupied.  The way being clear, I moved the regiment forward and occupied the ground, and remained there unmolested until between 5 and 6 o'clock on the morning of the 3d, and then received orders from you to occupy the breastworks erected by the Third Wisconsin on the night of the 2d.

    On arriving there, the enemy's sharpshooters immediately opened fire on the regiment from the breastworks built by the Third Brigade on the 2d.  I was then ordered by you to charge their works. I immediately moved the regiment forward, but, on arriving withni about 100 yards of their position, their fire was so deadly that I was compelled to fall back to the works I had previously occupied, which was done in good order.  Remained there until about 8 a. m. on the  morning of the 4th; kept up occasional firing on the 3d until about 4 p. m.; then, in accordance with your orders, made a reconnaissance to the right of Gettysburg.  Found no enemy, and returned to position I left in the morning.

    In the charge on the enemy on the 3d, loss in killed, 15; loss in wounded, including 7 commissioned officers, 83.  Loss in killed in works, 3 enlisted men; loss in wounded, 10, including 1 commissioned  officer.  Total loss: Killed, 18; wounded, 93; total, 111.*

    Respectfully, your obedient servant,

    JOHN R. FESLER,  Lieut.-Col. Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteers.

    Col. S. Colgrove, Comdg. Third Brigade, First Division, Twelfth Corps.

    December 23, 1863.--Skirmish at Mulberry Village, Tenn.

    Report of Col. Silas Colgrove, Twenty-seventh Indiana Infantry.

    HDQRS. POST, Tullahoma, December 26, 1863.

    CAPT.: I have the honor to report that, on the 23d instant, I sent a forage train out into the neighborhood of Mulberry Village, Lincoln County. The train was accompanied by a guard of 70 men, under the command of First Lieut. Porter, Company A, Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteers. Lieut. Porter was furnished with copiers of General Orders, No. 17, November 17, 1862, and General Orders, No. 30, December 30, 1862, Department of the Cumberland, and also Special Orders, No.--, of the se headquarters, for instructions. At or near Mulberry Village, I am informed by Lieut. Porter, he divided his train into four detachments and sent the several detachments upon different plantations, sending an equal guard with each detachment.  This, I understand, was done for the purpose of facilitating the loading of the train. It was about 7 o'clock in the evening when that portion of the train which Lieut. Porter was with finished loading and started to camp.

    The lieutenant reports that while he was in house receipting for the forage a part of the train went ahead and went into camp, leaving three wagons in the rear. He started to camp with these three wagons, distance about 2 miles. He had with him 15 men as guard. When within one-half mile of camp he discovered that the foremost wagon had got about 300 yards ahead of the other two. He went forward for the purpose of halting it. When he rode up he found the wagon stopped.

    Two men immediately rode up to him and presented pistols at his head and demanded his surrender. With this wagon was the teamster and wagon-master of the Ninth Ohio Battery, and 2 men who had helped to load the wagons, all unarmed except Lieut. Porter. The guerrillas numbered but 4, and were armed. Lieut. Porter, the wagon-master, and 3 men were immediately mounted and taken through a gate, passing about 200 yards up a creek and then into a corn-field; from there they were hurried forward, avoiding roads, & c., until about 1 o'clock in the morning. They were halted on the bank of Elk River, about 1 mile below where the mulberry empties into it. A fire was built and their captors informed them that they were going to camp for the night.

    Their hands were tied behind them; everything of value was taken from them. They were then drawn up in line 4 or 5 steps in front of their captors; one of them, who acted as leader, command "Ready"; the whole party immediately fired. One of the men was shot through the head and killed, as supposed, instantly; 3 were wounded. Lieut. Porter was not hit, and immediately broke and ran. He was followed and fired at by one of the party three times. He reports that he saw that he would be overtaken, and changed his course and ran to the river and threw himself over a precipice into the water. Having succeeded in getting his hands loose, he swam to the opposite shore; was fired at five or six times while he was the water. He secreted himself under the bank of the river.

    His captors swam their horsed across the and made search for him, but failed to find him. He afterward made his way up the river about three fourths of a mile and swam back again. He lay in the woods the remainder of the night and the next day. On the night of the 24th, he traveled about a mile and got to a house. The party sent out me on yesterday brought him in. He is now lying in a critical condition owing to the exposure, cold, fatigue, & c.

    He reports that he would know his captors should he see them again, one of whom is believed to be a man by the name of tulle, living near Lynchburg; another a Bowne, who is a deserter from the rebel army and has been during the fall and winter with guerrillas. A third man rode a bay stallion and is known to the citizens of Mulberry; his name I have not yet learned. The men who were shot were immediately thrown into the river, one of whom was supposed to have been killed, and one from the nature of the wounds and his appearance after the body was recovered, is supposed to have been drowned. The hands of these two men were found tied behind them when taken out of the river; the other two men succeeded in losing their hands and got of the river, one of whom has died since; the hospital at this place; wound not considered necessarily mortal.

    The names of the murdered men are as follows: John W. Drought and George W. Jacobs, Twenty-second Wisconsin Volunteers (these men were temporarily attached to the Ninth Ohio Battery); Theovel E. Orcutt, Ninth Ohio Battery, Wounded and since died; James W. Foley, Ninth Ohio Battery, Wounded and now in the hospital at this place. The three first named are men of families in destitute circumstances. The latter has an aged mother destitute, depending upon him for support.


    S. COLGROVE, Col., Cmdg. Post,

    Capt. WM. RUGER, Assistant Adjutant-Gen.,

    Report of Lieut. Col. John R. Fesler, Twenty-seventh Indiana Infantry.

    HDQRS. TWENTY-SEVENTH INDIANA VOLUNTEERS, Atlanta, Ga., September 6, 1864.

    SIR: I have the honor to make the report of the part taken by the Twenty-seventh Indiana Volunteers in the present campaign, closing at Atlanta, Ga.

    April 28, the regiment started from Tuliahoma, Tenn., Col. Silas Colgrove commanding, marched by the way of Bridgeport, Ala., Chattanooga, Tenn., and arrived near Resaca, Ga., May 14, and was ordered in position by Brig.-Gen. Ruger on the right of the brigade. Sunday, May 15, advanced, by Gen. Ruger's orders, driving the enemy's pickets until within 200 yards of their rifle-pits, and were then halted in line of battle, with skirmishers deployed in front Seventy-five yards, until about 4 o'clock, when the Thirty-eighth Alabama Regt. made a charge on the regiment and was handsomely repulsed, with a loss of their colors, 35 prisoners, including Col. Lankford, commanding the regiment, and 33 killed. The loss in my regiment was 5 killed and 54 wounded. Occasional skirmishing from the 16th of May until the 25th of May, when the regiment arrived at New Hope Church, near Dallas, Ga. About 4 p. m. of that day Gen. Ruger ordered Col. Colgrove, commanding the regiment, to take position on the right of the brigade and move forward. After advancing about 500 yards the enemy opened a very heavy fire on the regiment with musketry and canister from their rifle-pits, and after fighting about forty minutes the regiment was compelled to fall back, with a loss of 5 killed and 45 wounded. From the 25th of May to July 20 the losses in the regiment were from 5 to 15 a week in killed and wounded. July 20, at Peach Tree Run, Col. Colgrove was ordered by Gen. Ruger to take a position on the right of Gen. Knipe's brigade. It was done with some difficulty, as the enemy was about to get on Gen. Knipe's right flank before the regiment could get the position ordered. Soon after getting in position Col. Colgrove was severely wounded, and the command of the regiment then devolved on me. About 10 p. m. the enemy fell back, taking their killed and wounded with them. The loss in my regiment was 4 killed and 10 wounded.

    The 22d of July I advanced with the brigade within two and a half miles of Atlanta, and was ordered in position near the left of the railroad, and was under the fire of the enemy's pickets or sharpshooters until the 24th of August, and then marched back to the Chattahoochee River and remained there until September 2, and then marched back to Atlanta.


    JOHN R. FESLER, Lieut. Col., Cmdg. Regt.

     Lieut. E. G. FAY, A. A. A. G., 2d Brig., 1st Div., 20th Army Corps.

    Inventory Number: CDV 237 / SOLD