Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Carved Bone Neckerchief Slide of Joseph Coon, 105th Pennsylvania, Captured at Manassas Junction, Wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness / SOLD

    This item is out of stock
    Carved Bone Neckerchief Slide of Joseph Coon, 105th Pennsylvania, Captured at Manassas Junction, Wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness - Inventory Number:  PER 396 / SOLD

    Carved beef bone neckerchief slide of Joseph Coon (sometimes listed as Jefferson Coon on the muster rolls), a Belgian immigrant who enlisted in October 1861 as a private in the 105th Pennsylvania Infantry. While posted along the railroad at Manassas Junction on August 26, 1862, Coon along with three companies of his regiment were captured by Confederate troops under Stonewall Jackson. He was sent to the parole camp in Annapolis, Maryland, where he deserted in November 1862. In July 1863 he was arrested in Brookville, Pennsylvania, returned to Camp Parole. Coon was soon back with his regiment in the field, under orders to serve an additional ten months beyond his original terms of enlistment. On May 5, 1864 at the Battle of the Wilderness, Coon suffered a severe gunshot wound to the left hand and was again taken prisoner. He was paroled to a hospital in Annapolis, Maryland, and returned to duty by November. He was discharged for disability from his wounds in June 1865. Coon’s neckerchief was carved from a large piece of beef bone during his initial stay in Camp Parole. The 1 ½” square face is carved “J. Coon Co.B. 105th Regt. Pa. Vol. Oct. the 13 1862.” And is decorated with a shield motif and stars, ass filled with red and black wax. One side of the neckerchief rind is carved “A.D. 1861” and the other “When Enlisted Aug. 11th.” The slide is accompanied by numerous muster roll copies detailing Coon’s tumultuous service. A wonderful piece of prisoner of war folk art.


    Joseph Coon - Enlisted on 10/23/1861 as a Private. On 10/23/1861 he mustered into “B” Co. PA 105th Infantry - He was discharged for disability on 6/20/1865.


         One Hundred and Fifth Infantry.-Cols., Amor A. McKnight, William W. Corbett, Calvin A. Craig, James Miller, Lieut.-Cols., William W. Corbett, Calvin A. Craig, J. W. Greenawalt, L. B. Duff, Oliver C. Reddie; Majs., Mungo M. Dick, J. W. Greenawalt, Levi B. Duff, John C. Conser. James Miller.  The 105th was raised mainly in the counties of Jefferson, Clarion and Clearfield; was organized at Pittsburg in Sept. and Oct., 1861, and mustered into the U. S. service for a three years, term.  It was ordered to Washington in October and assigned to the 1st brigade, 1st division, 3rd corps, in camp near Alexandria.  Leaving camp on March 17, 1862, the regiment took part in the siege of Yorktown and the battles of Williamsburg and Fair Oaks.  In the latter engagement the troops fought like veterans, holding their position unsupported until nearly surrounded.  Three companies were on special duty at the opening of the action and being unable to reach the regiment in its exposed position fought with the 57th Pa.  After a month spent on picket duty the 105th was again in action at Glendale and Malvern hill, and by the time it reached Harrison's landing the ranks were so reduced by wounds and sickness that less than 100 were fit for active duty.  While posted along the railroad between Manassas and Warrenton Junction, Cos. B, G and H were captured by the enemy.  An engagement resulted at Bristoe Station, by the 1st and Hooker's divisions, on Aug. 29, and the following day of the entire army at Bull Run, where once more the gallant work of the 105th resulted in the loss of many of its bravest.  The regiment was specially complimented by Gen. Kearny for its gallantry.  September and October were spent at Washington which place the command left on Oct. 28, and after some scouting near Leesburg arrived at Falmouth on Nov. 24.  Its next battle was Fredericksburg, after which the winter was spent in camp near Brandy Station.  At Chancellorsville in May, 1863, the troops were warmly engaged and many won the Kearny medal of honor.  The first two weeks of June were spent at Banks ford and then the troops started northward.  At Gettysburg many fell and after the return to Virginia engagements followed at Auburn, Kelly's ford, and Locust Grove in the Mine Run campaign late in November.  At the end of that campaign the camp at Brandy Station was occupied for the winter, and on Dec. 28, 1863, nearly the entire regiment reenlisted.  At the Wilderness and Spottsylvania in May, 1864, the regiment did its share of the fighting and then moved to Petersburg with the army, where it took part in the operations of the 1Oth corps in August and the movements upon the Weldon railroad in October and December.  On Sept. 5, the remainder of the 63rd was added to the regiment and in March, 1865, about 300 new recruits were received.  At Sailor's creek the 105th was actively engaged, after which it returned to Alexandria.  It participated in the grand review at Washington and was mustered out in that city on July 11, 1865.  Out of a total of 2,040 the regiment lost 309 members by death from wounds or disease and 199 were reported missing, but its record through all its long term of service was one of unwavering devotion to the cause, combined with heroic courage.


     Inventory Number:  PER 396 / SOLD