The term "box" spur is derived from the use of small metal box inlet into the heel of a boot into which the central metal prong between the side bars of the spur is inserted and held by a spring. "This eliminated the need for spur straps and made it easier to remove the spurs when dismounted. They were very popular before and during the Civil War and most were European imports. The 1864 Schuyler, Hartley and Graham catalogue shows them, but they were widely offered by other military goods dealers. This pair has Nat side bars with squared ends and long straight rectangular necks that retain brass rowels in the form of lotus flowers. Both spurs are marked "Maxwell" on the neck indicating they were made by Henry Maxwell of London, a spur-making firm founded in 1750 that expanded into other horse gear, exhibited at the 1851 Great. Exhibition, and is credited by some with invention of the box spur in the very early 1800s. These are in excellent condition with all remaining gilt and are housed in a brass hinged leatherette case lined in red velvet. These would make a wonderful addition to an officer's display.
*To purchase this item directly with a credit card, please click on this link.
Inventory Number: INS 260