Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • CDV of New York Private Henry Jones, 17th Infantry

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    CDV of New York Private Henry Jones, 17th Infantry - Identified on the reverse of the CDV as "H. Jones (Uncle) / Henry James Company C".  Said to be Private Henry Jones of Company "C" 17th New York infantry (Westchester Chasseurs).  

    Henry Jones - 28 years old.

    Enlisted on 7/13/1861 at New York City, NY as a Private.

    On 7/13/1861 he mustered into "C" Co. NY 17th Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 6/2/1863 at New York, NY


    * Corpl 1/26/1863



    Seventeenth Infantry.-Cols., Henry S. Lansing, William T. C. Grower, Joel 0. Martin, James Lake; Lieut.-Cols., Thomas Ford Morris, Nelson B. Bartram, Edward Jardine, Joel O. Martin, James Lake, Alexander S. Marshall; Majs., Charles A. Johnson, Nelson B. Bartram, William T. C. Grower, Joel O. Martin, Charles Hilbert, Alexander S. Marshall, James B. Homer.

    The 17th regiment-the "Westchester Chasseurs"-contained four companies from Westchester county, two from New York city, one from each of the counties of Rockland, Chenango, Wayne and Wyoming, and was mustered into the U. S. service at New York city, May 28, 1861, for a two years' term.  It went into camp at Camp Washington, Staten Island, until June 21, when it left for Washington and was stationed at Fort Ellsworth near Alexandria.

    With the 2nd brigade, 5th division, which was held in reserve, the regiment was present at Bull Run.  In September it was posted at Fairfax seminary; in October was ordered to Hall's hill, where it was assigned to Butterfield's brigade, 1st division, 3d corps, and established permanent winter quarters.  In March, 1862, a company from the 53d N. Y. infantry was assigned to the 17th, and in May, the brigade became a part of the 1st division of the 5th provisional corps.

    In March the command moved to Fortress Monroe and after several reconnoitering expeditions proceeded to Yorktown, where it participated in the siege operations.  It was not actively engaged in the ensuing battles of the Peninsular campaign and went into camp at Harrison's landing, whence it moved to Newport News and Manassas.  At the second Bull Run the regiment made a valiant assault, in which it suffered the loss of 183 killed, wounded and missing, and after the battle the brigade was withdrawn to the vicinity of Washington, where it joined the army in the Maryland campaign, without being called into action.

    It reached Falmouth in Nov., 1862, where camp was established; the regiment was active at Fredericksburg and shared in the "Mud March," returning to complete the winter at Falmouth.  It was held in reserve at Chancellorsville, the last engagement of the two years men, who were mustered out at New York city, May 22, 1863.  During the two years' service, the regiment lost 42 men by death from wounds and 48 by death from other causes.

    NEW YORK SEVENTEENTH REGIMENT OF INFANTRY. Westchester Chasseurs. (Two Years)

    This regiment, Col. Henry S. Lansing, was accepted by the State and numerically designated May 14, 1861; it was organized in New York city and there mustered in the United States service for two years May 28, 1861.  The 18th State Militia furnished men for one company of this regiment.  March 16, 1862, Company G was consolidated with Companies A, B, C and F, and replaced by Company A, 53d N. Y. Volunteers, first organization, transferred to the regiment.  May 13, 1863, the three years' men of the regiment were detached from it and assigned to the Battalion of New York Volunteers, but June 23, 1863, transferred to the 146th N. Y. Volunteers.

    The companies were recruited principally: A at Yonkers; B at Portchester; C at Morrisania; D and E at New York city; F at Sing Sing; G--Nyack Volunteers--at Nyack; H at Norwich; I at Newark, Arcadia and Sodus; K at Warsaw; and the second Company G at New York city.

    The regiment left the State June 21, 1861; served at and near Washington, D. C., from June 23, 1861; at Fort Ellsworth, D. C., from August 14, 1861; in Butterfield's Brigade, Porter's Division, Army of the Potomac, from October 15, 1862; in same brigade and division, 3d Corps, Army of the Potomac, from March 13, 1862; in the 3d Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Corps, Army of the Potomac, from May, 1862, and was honorably discharged and mustered out, under Colonel Lansing, June 2, 1863, at New York city.

    2nd Bull Run, VA after action report:

    No. 95.

    Report of Maj. William T. C. Grower, Seventeenth New York Infantry, of the battle of Bull Run.

    SIR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the part taken by theSeventeenth Regiment in the action of Groveton, or Bull Run, on Saturday,

    August 30, 1862:

    Lieut.-Col. Bartram being absent from the regiment (acting as chief of staff to Gen. Butterfield, commanding the division), I assumed command. Our brigade arriving on the field after a sharp march of 5 or 6 miles, I received orders to form line on the left of the road and facing the woods, in which the enemy's skirmishers were already quite active. The men, who had had no time to get their breakfasts, now commenced cooking their coffee amidst the fire of artillery, the shot and shell flying about thick and fast. We here lost 2 men by round shot.

    I now received orders to advance and drive out the enemy's skirmishers from the woods in front. We were ordered to take up position at the edge of the woods and near the road. The enemy's artillery being quite active, the men were ordered to lie down. We remained in this position until about 5 o'clock, when Col. Bartram appeared with orders for the brigade to move forward. The men were up in a moment, and we advanced in the same order as before, viz, the Seventeenth Regiment forming the first line, the rest of the brigade supporting us in column doubled on the center. We crossed the road, the men scrambling over the fence at the other side, and moved forward steadily in quick-time. No sooner had we appeared in plain view of the enemy than he opened a tremendous fire of artillery and musketry on our advancing line. Nothing could surpass the behavior of officers and men, the latter steadily closing up the huge gaps made in the ranks by the terrific fire of the enemy. Placing myself at their head, I now gave the word "Double-quick, charge," and with a mad yell the gallant fellows reused up the hill to what was almost certain death. We now reached a sort of plateau, a battery on the summit of the hill playing upon us, while another on the right opened with grape and canister, completely enfilading our position. The woods on our left were full of the enemy's infantry. We seemed entirely without support, being some distance in advance of the brigade. I was compelled to halt, and ordered the men to lie down and commence firing. I looked around with some anxiety. Most of our officers had fallen, and one-half of the men had been killed or wounded crossing the field and in the charge up the hill. Capts. Wilson and Martin had fallen-the former mortally, the latter dangerously, wounded. Capts. Demerest and Blauvelt were shot dead while nobly cheering on their men. Capt. Burleigh was also wounded, and almost his entire company swept away.

    We had held the position perhaps fifteen minutes when I was myself placed hors de combat by a Minie ball through the leg, shattering the bone severely. Capt. Wickers then assumed command, an I believe was ordered to retire shortly afterward.

    When all did so well it is difficult to make distinction. I can only speak of those whose conduct fell particularly under my own observation. Capts. Wilson, Blauvelt, Martin, and Burleigh were conspicuous for bravery. I must also mention the praiseworthy conduct of Lieuts. Foley and Sprague (acting adjutant), and also Lieuts. Reed and Green and Orderly-Sergeant Clancy, of Company H, who commanded his company through the fight after his captain fell.

    In this short but sanguinary engagement our loss in killed and wounded was not less than 11 officers and 200 men, including 3 color bearers, but 87 effective men being left in the regiment at the first rollcall after the battle.* I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

    WM. T. C. GROWER,

    Maj., Seventeenth New York Volunteers.

    Col. HK. S. LANSING,

    Commanding Third Brigade.

    Respectfully forwarded as a part of the report of the battle of Groveton, 30th August, 1862. Maj. Grower, being still confined to his bed with his wound, has been unable to forward it earlier.

    H. S. LANSING, Col., Commanding Third Brigade.

    Chancellorsville, VA after battle report:

    No. 174.

    Report of Lieut. Col. Nelson B. Bartram, Seventeenth New York Infantry.

    HDQRS. 17TH NEW YORK STATE VOLS., May 7, 1863.

    LIEUT.: In compliance with orders received this evening, I have the honor to submit the following brief report of the operations of this regiment during the three days' fighting near Chancellorsville: On Friday, May 1, this regiment with the brigade, marched down the road leading from Chancellorsville toward Banks' Ford, I should think 3 or 4 miles. Returned to within about a mile of Chancellorsville, and went into position on the left of the Twelfth New York Volunteers, and remained during the night, throwing out pickets and constructing an abatis along our front.

    Next day, marched with the brigade and took up a position in the same order, in line behind a ravine about 700 yards in rear of our former one. Here we dug rifle-pits and cut an abatis for our protection.

    Next morning, about 3 o'clock, we were relieved by some troops from the Eleventh Corps, and, marching toward Chancellorsville, went into position on the right of the Forty-fourth New York Volunteers a few minutes before the action commenced. The regiment at once constructed a barricade of logs and rails, and patiently awaited the attack, confident of the result.

    We remained in this position until the morning of Wednesday, when we received the order to fall back.

    I am sorry to report that there were a few outrageous cases of straggling and skulking, principally from Company F, Capt. John Vickers. This officer allowed his company to straggle and skulk in a manner that would have been impossible had he attended to it as he should.

    When the regiment went into position on the morning of May 3, this company was represented by only a corporal and 5 men. All the casualties were in this company-1 man killed (detached to the ambulance corps), 1 corporal, a straggler (put into another regiment by the provost-guard), and 2 privates. The latter, I have every reason to believe, shot themselves through the hand.

    Very respectfully,

    N. B. BARTRAM, Lieut.-Col., Cmdg. Seventeenth New York Vols.

    Lieut. F. M. KELLEY, Acting Assistant Adjutant-Gen.

    Inventory Number: CDV 295