Civil War Field Desk - Inventory Number: PER 060 / SOLD
Original wooden field desk measuring: 20” x 13” x 6”. Constructed with hand-cut nails and retaining most of its original green paint, the desk features a pair of cast brass handles depicting a lyre device and a hinged lid with affixed Civil War polished cotton flag with 11 stars and a newspaper clipping entitled “Appomattox – 1865” with a poem. This history which accompanies this desk is that it believed to have come from the Merriam G.A.R. Post #8 or A.H. Dutton Post #36 of the G.A.R.
Merriam Post was named in honor of Edwin Merriam who was from Durham, Connecticut. He enlisted on August 28, 1861 as a Sergeant. He was mustered into Co. C, 7th Connecticut Infantry on September 6, 1861. He re-enlisted and was promoted to Commissary Sergeant on December 22, 1863. He was promoted again to 2nd Lieutenant of Company E on April 12, 1864. He was wounded at the Battle of Deep Bottom on August 16, 1864 and died of his wounds September 6, 1864
Dutton Post, No. 36, was organized in 1869 by ten veterans of the Civil War. In 1889 there were 100 members. By 1917 the number had declined to 17. The Post deeded to the town of Wallingford Ct, on April 4, 1904 “38 [square] rods [0.23 acre] together with the Soldiers Monument thereon, known as 'Dutton Park'" and raised $8,000, starting in 1885. For at least 45 years Memorial Day services were held at the park.
Inventory Number: PER 060 / SOLD