Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Civil War Identification Disk of Alfred Norton, 3rd Vermont Infantry / SOLD

    This item is out of stock

    Civil War Identification Disk of Alfred Norton, 3rd Vermont Infantry - Inventory Number:  IDE 200 / SOLD

    Civil War identification disk with patriotic eagle motif and “WAR OF 1861 / UNITED STATES” legend. The opposite side is stamped “A. NORTON. / Co K. / 3rd REG. / VT. VOL. / NORWICH.” Alfred Norton enlisted in July 1861 as a private in the 3rd Vermont Infantry, part of the famous “1st Vermont Brigade.” Stockwell fought with the regiment in most of the engagements of the Army of the Potomac from the Peninsula Campaign to Petersburg, before his discharge in July 1864. The disk measures 1” and is well worn but still retains good details and a slight amount of gold wash present in recessed areas around the eagle. The identification disk is accompanied by a hardcover copy of the book Put the Vermonters Ahead: The First Vermont Brigade in the Civil War by George W. Parsons.

    Alfred Norton - Residence Montpelier VT; Enlisted on 7/10/1861 as a Private. On 7/16/1861 he mustered into "K" Co. VT 3rd Infantry. He was Mustered Out on 7/27/1864.

    3rd Vermont Infantry

    In July 1861, the United States Congress authorized President Abraham Lincoln to call out 500,000 men, to serve for three years unless sooner discharged. The 3rd Vermont Infantry was the second of the three years regiments from the state placed in the field as a result of this call. It was organized from militia companies from Springfield, Coventry, Newbury (Wells River), Charleston, Johnson, Hartford, St. Johnsbury, St. Albans, Guidhall, and East Montpelier and Calais. Governor Erastus Fairbanks' first choices to command the regiment were Colonel John W. Phelps, soon to relinquish his command of the 1st Vermont Infantry, Captain Truman Seymour, 4th U.S. Artillery, a native Vermonter who had been present at the Confederate attack on Fort Sumter, and Captain A. V. Colburn, U.S. Army, who later became Assistant Adjutant General of the Army of the Potomac under General George B. McClellan. Phelps, however, was serving as commandant of the post at Newport News, Virginia, and the offers to Seymour and Colburn were declined.

    The regiment rendezvoused at St. Johnsbury, on the ground of the Caledonia County Agricultural Society at "Camp Baxter," named in honor of Adjutant and Inspector General H. Henry Baxter. The regiment mustered into United States service on July 16, 1861, and departed for Washington, D.C. on July 24, under the temporary command of Lieutenant Colonel Breed N. Hyde. At Hartford, Connecticut, the regiment's commander, Colonel William Farrar Smith, joined them. The regiment arrived in Washington, D.C. on July 25, 1861, and on July 27, marched up the Potomac to the Chain Bridge, where they built "Camp Lyon." They joined at that site the 6th Maine Infantry, Mott's Battery and a company of cavalry. By August 12, the 2nd Vermont Infantry and the 33rd New York Infantry had joined them.

    Major Walter W. Cochran, of Bellows Falls, resigned his commission on August 6 due to a severe attack of fever and ague. Captain Wheelock G. Veazey, of Company A, replaced him. On August 13, Colonel Smith was appointed brigadier general of volunteers, and Hyde replaced him, now as a full colonel. Veazey was promoted to lieutenant colonel, and Captain Thomas O. Seaver, of Company F, was promoted to major.

    It was also here that Private William Scott, known to history as the Sleeping Sentinel, was found asleep at his post on August 31, court-martialed, and sentenced to be executed. President Lincoln heard about the case, pardoned Scott, and returned him to his unit. William Scott was actually standing before a firing squad when the death sentence and pardon were both read, however no one had told him that he had been pardoned prior to being sent to the firing squad. Scott later was killed in action at the Battle of Lee's Mill (a/k/a Dam No. 1).

    On September 11, the regiment participated in a reconnaissance to and beyond Lewinsville, Virginia, where it engaged Confederate skirmishers. Returning to the camp, the regiment came under fire from Rosser's battery. A shell fell within the ranks of Company C, killing Private Amos Meserve, mortally wounding William H. Colburn, and injuring five others. On September 25, the regiment participated in another reconnaissance to Lewinsville, but suffered no casualties. Quartermaster Redfield Proctor resigned from the regiment on this date to accept appointment as Major of the 5th Vermont Infantry.

    During the next two weeks, the 4th and 5th Vermont regiments joined Smith's division. On October 9, the Vermont regiments moved to Camp Griffin, about four miles from Chain Bridge. Here, on October 24, the 6th Vermont Infantry arrived, completing the initial organization of the "Old Vermont Brigade."

    The original members of the regiment, who did not reenlist, were mustered out of the service on July 27, 1864. Veterans and recruits were consolidated into six companies, July 25, 1864. One-year recruits and others whose term of service was due to expire prior to October 1, 1865, were mustered out on June 19, 1865. The remaining officers and men mustered out of service on July 11. 

    Comes housed in a 12 x 16 inch display case with blue velvet backing and descriptive card.

    *To purchase this item directly with a credit card, please click on this link.


     Inventory Number:  IDE 200 / SOLD