Civil War Neck Stock - Inventory Number: LEA 162
Identified to Sergeant Charles Darling. Served throughout the Civil War witht he 1st Massachusetts Cavalry and 4th Massachusetts Cavalry
This Civil War period leather neck stock is a private purchase example. The stock is held on the neck by use of a smal black japanned buckle and leather strap.
A piece of uniform equipment that is believed to provide protection to the neck area and to keep the soldier frrom drooping jis head in formation. Not a popular item and discarded my many the soldiers unfortunate enough to have been issues this stock.
Measues approximately 17 1/2" x 1 1/2" ends taper.
Charles H. Darling:
Enlisted on 9/17/1861 as a Private.
On 9/23/1861 he mustered into "M" Co. MA 1st Cavalry
He Re-enlisted on 1/26/1864
He was transferred out on 2/12/1864
On 2/12/1864 he transferred into "M" Co. MA 4th Cavalry
He was Mustered Out on 11/14/1865 at Richmond, VA
* Sergt 11/1/1864
Born in 1818
Died in 1843
Buried: Cedar Grove Cemty, Marshfield, MA
MASSACHUSETTS 1ST CAVALRY Three Years
First Cavalry.-Cols., Robert Williams, Horace B. Sargent, Samuel E. Chamberlain; Lieut.-Cols., Horace B. Sargent, Greely S. Curtis, Samuel E. Chamberlain Lucius M. Sargent Jr., John Tewksbury; Majs. William F. White, John H. Edson, Greely S. Curtis, Henry Lee Higginson, Atherton H. Stevens, Jr., Samuel E. Chamberlain, Lucius M. Sargent, Jr., T. Lawrence Motley, Benjamin W. Crowninshield, John Tewksbury, Charles G Davis, Edward A. Flint, Amos L. Hopkins, George H. Teague. This regiment was largely composed of volunteers from existing militia organizations and embraced men from the Boston Lancers, Waltham Dragoons, North Bridgewater Dragoons, and Springfield Horseguards. It was rendezvoused at Camp Brigham, Readville, where the men began to arrive early in Sept., 1861. By Nov. 1, its ranks were filled and it was mustered into service for three years. Col. Williams was a regular army officer and was recommended to the governor by Gen. Winfield Scott. The 1st battalion, composed of Cos. A, B, C and D, under Maj. Greely S. Curtis, left the state for Annapolis, Md. on Dec. 25. The 2nd and 3rd battalions left on Dec. 26, and 28, proceeding to Hilton Head N.C, after a halt of 1O days en route in New York. They were joined here in Feb., 1862, by the 1st battalion. The first active service of the regiment was on the Charleston expedition in May. On Aug. 19, the 1st and 2nd battalions joined the Army of the Potomac in Virginia, the 3rd being left behind and never rejoined the regiment. Under command of Maj. Stevens it was engaged for several months in the performance of picket and patrol duty at Beaufort and Hilton Head, a detachment sharing in the reconnaissance to Pocotaligo Oct. 22, 1862. During the siege of Fort Sumter in April, 1863, part of the battalion was on duty on Folly and Morris islands. On Aug 4, 1863, it was permanently detached from the regiment and was called the independent battalion, Mass. cavalry, under which name it engaged in the expedition to St. John's river, Fla. It continued to serve as an independent battalion until Feb. 12, 1864, when it became the 1st battalion, 4th Mass. cavalry, and its subsequent history will be given with that regiment. The 1st and 2nd battalions, with the Army of the Potomac, took part in the marches and skirmishes which preceded the battles of Antietam and Fredericksburg, but was not actively engaged in either battle. Meanwhile, Col. Williams had returned to service in the regular army, and 238 recruits had been received from Massachusetts. After the battle of Fredericksburg, it went into winter quarters on Potomac creek. It shared in the action at Kelly's ford in March, 1863, and was attached to the cavalry under Gen. Stoneman during the Chancellorsville campaign. It was engaged at Rapidan Station, and Warrenton road, and Brandy Station, and served as rearguard at the opening of the Gettysburg campaign. It was heavily engaged at Aldie Court House, losing 24 killed, 41 wounded and 89 missing, accompanied the 6th corps on its march to Gettysburg, and after the battle returned to Westminster with a body of Confederate prisoners. During the remainder of the year it was almost incessantly on the move, scouting, skirmishing, and engaging in the exacting and arduous duties demanded of this arm of the service. In September it met with some loss at Rapidan Station, where it was exposed to a severe artillery fire, and as a part of Gregg's division, it was active in the Mine Run campaign, engaging the enemy's cavalry at New Hope Church and at Parker's store. It covered the withdrawal of the infantry on the abandonment of this campaign and was on outpost duty at Warrenton until April 21, 1864. In March, 1864, a new battalion of four companies joined the regiment to take the place of the 3rd battalion, which had been detached. The regiment was once more active throughout the trying campaign of 1864 as part of the cavalry corps under Gen. Sheridan being attached to the 1st brigade, 2nd division. A list of its engagements during the year includes: Todd's Tavern, Ashland Salem Church, Trevilian Station, St. Mary's Church, New Market, Lee's mills, Malvern hill, Deep Bottom, Reams' station, Jerusalem road, Vaughan road, and Bellefield Station. The term of enlistment of the original members expired in Sept., 1864, and on Oct. 25, all who had not reenlisted left for home to be mustered out. The veterans and recruits, including the new battalion, were reorganized and continued to serve with its old brigade and division. It spent the winter of 1864-65 in winter quarters at Westbrook house, being detached March 17, 1865, for provost duty at City Point. On May 27, it reported for escort duty to Gen. Davies in command of the cavalry corps in the defenses of Washington, where it remained until mustered out on June 26, 1865. It reached Readville June 29, where the men were finally paid and discharged on July 24. The total enrollment of the regiment was 107 officers and 2,132 enlisted men. Its losses during service were 7 officers and 92 enlisted men, killed or died of wounds, 2 missing; 88 died by accident or disease; 57 died as prisoners.
MASSACHUSETTS 4TH CAVALRY Three Years
Fourth Cavalry.-Cols. Arnold A. Rand, Francis Washburn, Horatio Jenkins, Jr.; Lieut.-Cols., Francis Washburn, Horatio Jenkins, Jr., Henry B. Scott; Majs., Atherton H. Stevens, David B Keith, Louis Cabot, Moses F. Webster, Henry B. Scott, Joseph I. Baker, Albert E. Ray, Edwin B. Staples. This regiment was organized on Feb. 12, 1864. The independent battalion Mass. cavalry, then serving in South Carolina and originally a part of the 1st cavalry, constituted the 1st battalion. The 1st veteran battalion, recruited in February, under Lieut.-Col. Arnold A. Rand, became the 2nd battalion, and was mustered in by the end of the month. Early in April the 3rd battalion had been filled and mustered. The regiment carried on its rolls a total of 88 officers and 1,621 enlisted men. Its losses during service were 4 officers and 22 enlisted men killed or died of wounds; 1 officer and 92 enlisted men died by accident or disease; 1 officer and 24 enlisted men as prisoners. The 2nd battalion under Maj. Keith, left the state on March 20, and arrived at Hilton Head, S.C. April 1. The 3rd under Maj. Cabot, with 15O recruits for the 1st battalion, left the state April 23. The 2nd battalion, with headquarters at Hilton Head, took part in an expedition up the Ashepoo river in May. On June 6, two companies under Capt. Morton moved to Jacksonville, Fla., and encamped there. In the early part of Aug. the detachment formed part of an expedition up the St. John's river to Palatka, engaging the enemy at Palatka, Magnolia and Gainesville, with a loss during the expedition of 6 killed and 50 captured, including 3 officers. On Oct. 17, Maj. Keith having resigned, Capt. Webster was promoted to the position. A detachment, under Capt. Staples, took part in an expedition to St. John's island, S. C., in July, suffering a small loss in the various skirmishes from the 2nd to the 9th. The battalion remained stationed at Hilton Head and Jacksonville by detachments until the close of the war, but no part of it was again heavily engaged after the battle of Gainesville. On reaching Hilton Head, the 3rd battalion was ordered to Fortress Monroe, and reported to Gen. Butler, encamping at Newport News until May 23. It then moved to City Point, Va., and there established headquarters. The 1st battalion, under command of Capt. Richmond, arrived from the south on May 8, and participated in the movements of the Army of the James during the rest of May. In June the command took part in the cavalry operations against Petersburg, being in action at Drewry's bluff and Bermuda Hundred. Cos. E and H were on detached duty in June, at the headquarters of the 18th corps. On Aug. 15, the 1st and 3rd battalions, under command of Col. Rand, became a part of the 1Oth corps and took part in the operations before Petersburg. They were so engaged until the opening of the spring campaign in 1865. Meanwhile four companies had been detached for service with the 24th and 25th corps, remaining on this detail until their muster out. Cos. E and H with the 25th corps were the first troops to enter Richmond when it was evacuated on the morning of April 3. Cos. I, L and M under Col. Washburn were at the headquarters of the Army of the James' commanded by Gen. Ord. On April 6, 1865, this little force of 13 officers and 67 men were almost annihilated in the effort to hold High bridge over the Appomattox, where in three desperate charges against overwhelming odds, 8 of the officers were killed or wounded, among the mortally wounded being the gallant Col. Washburn.
After the surrender of Gen. Lee, all the detachments of the regiment were united at Richmond and remained there on duty during the summer and autumn. On Nov. 14, 1865, the regiment was mustered out and the same month returned to Boston, the men being paid and finally discharged at Galloupe's island on the 26th.
Inventory Number: LEA 162