This shell was formerly of the Shields Museum - The Shields Museum stood along Route 30 just west of Gettysburg and housed a large collection of artifacts related to the battle until its closure in the 1980's. This shell was then sold by Redding's Auction of Gettysburg in 2003 to a private collector who has retained it until now.
Ott Shields amassed one of the earliest and well known collections of Gettysburg artifacts. In 1918, he opened a private museum that featured the "Shields Collection," one of the few documented Gettysburg collections obtained by local families (Rosensteel; Danner; Wert; Mumper; Ziegler, etc.). The Shields Museum closed in the 1980s and the collection was sold at auction on November 16, 1985. Offering over 600 lots "comprised mostly of Gettysburg battlefield pick-ups relics," the auction attracted several hundred Civil War collectors, dealers, and museum buyers.
Comes with Certificate of Authenticity.
Inventory Number: ART 225