Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Identified Civil War Slouch Hat / Sold

    This item is out of stock

    Identified Civil Wat Slouch Hat - Inventory Number: UNI 075 / SOLD

    The front retains the original company letter "I" and the interior bears the ink identification to Private Eugene S. Golden of the 113th and 120th Illinois Infantry.  

    Eugene S. Golden:

    Residence Sweetwater IL;

    Enlisted on 1/12/1864 as a Private.

    On 1/12/1864 he mustered into "I" Co. IL 113th Infantry

    He was transferred out (date not stated)

    He also had service in:

    "B" Co. IL 120th Infantry



         One Hundred and Thirteenth Infantry. - Col., George B. Hoge; Lieut.-Cols., John W. Paddock, George R. Clark; Majs., Lucius H. Yates, George R. Clark, Cephas Williams.  This regiment left Camp Hancock, near Camp Douglas, Nov. 6, 1862, when it was ordered to Memphis, Tenn., to report to Gen. Sherman.  On its arrival there it went into camp and remained till it joined the movement known as the "Tallahatchie Expedition."  It participated in the battle of Chickasaw bluffs and went from there to Arkansas Post, where it lost heavily.  It arrived in the rear of Vicksburg on the evening of May 18, 1863, and participated in the assaults of the 19th and 22nd, in which it again lost heavily.  The remainder of the term of service was devoted largely to the performance of guard duty.  On March 23, 1865, Col. Hoge was appointed provost marshal of the district of West Tennessee and remained in that position until he was mustered out with the regiment on June 20, 1865.


    Eugene S. Golden:

    Enlisted on 1/12/1864 as a Private.

    On 2/29/1864 he mustered into "B" Co. IL 120th Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 9/10/1865 at Memphis, TN


    ILLINOIS 120TH INFANTRY (Three Years)

         One Hundred and Twentieth Infantry.-Col., George W. McKenig; Lieut.-Cols., John G. Hardy, Spencer B. Floyd; Majs., Spencer B. Floyd, John M. Raum.  This regiment was organized at a time when there was an immediate demand for soldiers in the field and was mustered into the U.S. service on Oct. 28, 1862.  The first order received for actual duty was from Col. Fonda, which was to guard the railroad bridge at "Jimtown," and that duty was performed until Nov. 9, when the regiment left for Alton, thence moved to St. Louis on the steamer Stephen Decatur and reported to Gen. Halleck, from whom orders were received to report without delay to Gen. Sherman at Memphis.  In Jan., 1863, with other regiments it was transported to Hopesdale, Ark., whence they marched about 15 miles and struck a Confederate recruiting camp near Marion, capturing a lieutenant and 20 men on picket.  A brisk skirmish followed in which the enemy was soon routed.  The time of the regiment was variously employed in scouting and guard duty until June, 1864, when at the battle of Guntown, Miss., it participated in its first and only serious engagement.  It maintained perfect discipline and after 6 hours of hard fighting contested every foot of ground with the Confederate advance from Guntown to Ripley.  On Oct 21, the regiment was placed on provost duty in Memphis, in which service it remained until it was mustered out on Sept. 7, 1865, when it was ordered to Camp Butler, where it received final payment and discharge, Sept. 10.

    Inventory Number: UNI 075 / SOLD