July 1864 pattern cartridge box, distinguished by the embossed “US” on the flap in place of the cartridge box plate. The brass breast plate was also omitted from the slings produced for this pattern. The leather on this box is in good condition but fairly dry with a moderate amount of crazing on the implement pouch. The closure tab is still in place with no tears. Both original tins remain inside the box. This version of the July 1864 pattern box is referred to as the “type I”, as it omitted the interior flap of the box, the end pieces or “ears” being sewn directly onto the edges of the outer flap. The flap of the implement pouch bears the maker’s mark “H.W. OLIVER PITTSBURGH PA”, which was awarded a contract for 20,000 accoutrement sets. The front flap of this cartridge box has a carved name “J.R. Bullock” The database indicated that John R. Bullock - Residence Salisbury IN; Enlisted on 12/24/1864 as a Private. On 12/24/1864 he mustered as a substitute into "F" Co. IN 29th Infantry. He was Mustered Out on 12/2/1865 at Marietta, GA. The original sling remains in good condition and is flexible, with even crazing to the surface finish. Overall, a very nice, complete example of a late-war Civil War U.S. cartridge box. Soldier’s name is nicely incised on the outer flap “
Twenty-ninth Infantry INDIANA (3 years)
Twenty-ninth Infantry. Cols., John F. Miller, David M. Dunn, Samuel O. Gregory, Lieut.-Cols., David M. Dunn, Joseph P. Collins, Samuel O. Gregory, Charles Ream, Majs., Henry J. Blowney Joseph P. Collins, James H. M. Jenkins, Henry G. Davis, C. Perry Butler.
This regiment was organized at Laporte and was mustered in on Aug. 27 1861. It left the state on Oct. 9, and joined Gen. Rousseau's command at Camp Nevin, Ky. from which place it moved with the army to the vicinity of Munfordville.
It took part in a movement upon Bowling Green in Feb. 1862, and moved with McCook's division to the Tennessee, participating in the second day's battle of Shiloh, where it was under fire for 5 hours and lost heavily.
It took an active part in the siege of Corinth and then moved with Buell's army through northern Alabama and Tennessee, following Bragg through Kentucky. It accompanied Rosecrans' army in the movement towards Murfreesboro and participated in the battle of Stone's River with severe losses.
It remained at Murfreesboro until May, then moved to Tullahoma, and afterwards to Chattanooga, being engaged at Triune and Liberty Gap in June. It was in the battle of Chickamauga, where it sustained a loss of 170 in killed and wounded -- one-half the number engaged.
It was then stationed at Bridgeport, Ala., where it reenlisted as a veteran organization, Jan. 1, 1864, and visited home on furlough. On its return it was stationed at Chattanooga until December and was then moved to Decatur, Ala., being engaged in a skirmish Dec. 27.
It then returned to Chattanooga and remained there until May 1865, when it moved to Dalton, GA, and was in a skirmish with the enemy there. Subsequently it was stationed at Marietta. Col. Miller was commissioned brigadier-general Jan. 5, 1864, being succeeded as colonel by Lieut.-Col. Dunn.
The regiment was mustered out Dec. 2, 1865. Its original strength was 936; gain by recruits, 990; reenlistments, 204; total, 2,130. Loss by death, 293; desertion, 63; unaccounted for, 49.