Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Military Commission of Henry L. Tappon, 5th Sergeant Company E. 47th Massachusetts Volunteers

    There is only 1 item left in stock.

    Military Commission of Henry L. Tappon, 5th Sergeant Company E. 47th Massachusetts Volunteers - Inventory Number: DOC 179

    Military Commission of Henry L. Tappan to fifth Sergeant in Company E. of the 47th Massachusetts Volunteers, on September 22nd, 1862.  Signed at the regiments head quarters at East New York, the 10th of December 1862 by the commanding Officer Lucius B. Marsh  and Eli C. Kinsley Adjutant of the Regiment.   

    Henry L. Tappan:

    Residence Charlestown MA; a 21 year-old Clerk.

    Enlisted on 9/8/1862 as a Private.

    On 9/22/1862 he mustered into "E" Co. MA 47th Infantry 

    He was Mustered Out on 9/1/1863 at Readville, MA

    Lucius Bolles Marsh:

    Residence Boston MA; a 44 year-old Merchant.

    Enlisted on 10/31/1862 as a Colonel.

    On 11/7/1862 he was commissioned into Field & Staff MA 47th Infantry 

    He was Mustered Out on 9/1/1863 at Readville, MA

    Other Information:

    Born in Boston, MA

    Member of GAR Post # 31 (George W. Perry) in Scituate, MA

    Died 1/30/1910 in North Scituate, MA

    After the War he lived in Boston, MA

    Eli C. Kinsley:

    Residence Cambridge MA; a 34 year-old Lawyer.

    Enlisted on 9/4/1862 as a Private.

    On 9/19/1862 he mustered into "B" Co. MA 47th Infantry 

    He was Mustered Out on 9/1/1863 at Readville, MA


    * 1st Lieut 11/4/1862 (1st Lieut & Adjutant)

    Intra Regimental Company Transfers:

    * 11/4/1862 from company B to Field & Staff


         The 47th Regt. Mass. Vol. Mill, the Merchant's Guard Regiment, was raised largely through the efforts of Mr. Lucius B. Marsh, a merchant of Boston, who became its colonel.  The regiment was organized at Camp Stanton, Boxford, in September and October, 1862.  The companies were mustered into the United States service on various dates between Sept. 19 and Oct. 31, and the field and staff on Nov. 7.  The regiment was transferred to Camp Meigs, Readville, Nov. 11, where its organization and equipment was completed.  Both at Boxford and at Readville it suffered considerably from desertions, but this resulted largely in the weeding out of undesirable material and thus improving the general character of the command.

         The regiment was ordered to New York, Nov. 29, where the Banks expedition was being organized.  It remained in camp on Long Island until Dec. 21, when it embarked on the steamer MISSISSIPPI bound for New Orleans, arriving on the 31st. From Jan. 1 to 11, the regiment was at Camp Kearney, Carrollton. On Jan. 11, it was transferred to United States Barracks in lower New Orleans.  From here, on the following day, it proceeded tothe Louisiana Lower Cotton Press, returning to the city on the 14th.  United States Barracks was an important post which commanded the lower part of the city.  Near it was a large contraband camp, a hospital, and a recruiting station.  Several of the companies were here detached and assigned to special duty.

         From Feb. 14 to Mar. 12, the regiment was again on duty at the Louisiana Lower Cotton Press.  On the latter date the detached companies, except Co. "B ", were recalled, and the regiment was sent to Metaire Race Course, which was situated on a ridge surrounded by stagnant pools just above the city.  Colonel Marsh was placed in command of the post which was garrisoned by the 47th Mass., the 1st Vt., and 26th N.Y. Infantry Regiments, and for a part of the time by the 12th and 13th Mass. Batteries.  The Race Course was a very beautiful but unhealthy spot.  During its stay here the regiment gained an excellent reputation for drill and discipline.  Companies "D" and "H" were twice sent across Lake Ponchartrain where they captured a steamboat, a schooner, and a large amount of cotton.

         After about ten weeks stay at Metaire Race Course, on May 19 the regiment was sent to "Camp Parapet" about two miles up the Mississippi River, Colonel Marsh being assigned to the command of this post.  Here was stationed a considerable force of infantry, cavalry, and artillery including a part of the 42d Regt. Mass. Inf. and the 12th and 13th Mass. Batteries.  At "Camp Parapet" a company of colored men was recruited to be employed in the swamps.  This later became the nucleus of the 2d Regt. La. Engineers, a regiment which was officered very largely by members of the 47th Regiment.

         On August 5, 1863, the 47th embarked on the steamer CONTINENTAL at Carrollton and proceeded up the Mississippi to Cairo, Ill., where it arrived August 13 and there entrained for Boston, Mass. Reaching that city August 18, it was received by the mayor and a large concourse of citizens.  Although the regiment had never been in action, it had performed the duties assigned to it in a most worthy and acceptable manner.  Twenty-four of its members had died of disease and one had been killed by guerrillas.  After its reception in Boston, the men were furloughed for thirteen days at the close of which period,on Sept 1, they reassembled at Readville and were mustered out of the United States service.