Glass hair dye bottle recovered at a ‘Diggin in Virginia” event at Brandy Rock Farm, Brandy Station Virginia near the Farley House. The farm was the location of the encampment of the 6th Corps, Army of the Potomac, through the winter of 1863-1864. The embossing reads, "MRS. S. A. ALLEN’S WORLD HAIR BALSAM NEW YORK” It measures 6 3/4" tall by 2 1/2" in width and has a couple of hairline cracks but is solid. Susan A. Allen was a resident of New York City and the wife to a dentist James Allen. Sometime in the 1845 they would relocate to 355 Broom St. where she would start selling her hair restorer. She was first listed in the 1854 New York City Business Directory for selling her hair restorer. In 1856 a Frank Allen, most likely her son would join in the family business. He would be listed in the 1856 City Directory also under "hair die" The last year Susan was listed in the directory was 1861. Advertisements claim that her product was being distributed nationwide and was being sold in Cuba, Canada and Great Britain. Sometime in 1862 a wholesale druggist Selah R. Van Duzer would become the preparer and sole agent for Allen's Hair products. She would also trademark the brand name in 1876. Van Duzer's business address was 198 Greenwich Street New York City. The bottle is pictured on the cover of the March 2009 issue of American Digger Magazine and comes with two bottle lips from the same camp.
Comes housed in an 8 x 12 inch display case with blue velvet backing and descriptive card.
Inventory Number: GRO 054