Officer's Commission - Inventory Number: DOC 249 / SOLD
2nd Lieutenant Luther D. Kurtz of the 148th PA Infantry
Signed by Governor Andrew G. Curtain of Pennsylvania
Frame measures 16" x 19"
Luther D. Kurtz:
Enlisted on 8/28/1862 as a 1st Sergeant.
On 8/28/1862 he mustered into "D" Co. PA 148th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 6/1/1865 at Alexandria, VA
* 2nd Lieut 4/22/1864
After the War he lived in Mifflinburg, PA
PENNSYLVANIA ONE HUNDRED and FORTY-EIGHTH INFANTRY (Three Years)
One Hundred and Forty-eighth Infantry. - Cols., James A. Beaver, James F. Weaver; Lieut.-Cols., Robert McFarlane, George Fairlamb, James F. Weaver, George A. Bayard; Majs., George A. Fairlamb, Robert Henry Forster, James F. Weaver, George A. Bayard, Silas J. Martin. This regiment was composed of seven companies recruited in Center county, two in Indiana and Jefferson counties, and one in Clarion. It rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, where it was mustered into the U. S. service from Aug. 22 to Sept. 8, 1862, for three years. Col. Beaver had served in a militia company, as 1st lieutenant in the 2nd volunteer infantry, and as lieutenant-colonel of the 45th. He was appointed colonel of the 148th at the request of the line officers. A number of the other officers had also previously been in service. The total enrollment of the regiment was 1,339, of whom 12 officers and 198 enlisted men were killed or died of wounds, and 4 officers and 183 enlisted men died of disease, accident or as prisoners. The total of killed and wounded was 769 and 62 died in Confederate prisons. It was one of the three hundred fighting regiments enumerated in Fox's "Regimental Losses," and participated in the following engagements: Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Po river, Spottsylvania, Totopotomy, Cold Harbor, Prison Guard Salisbury, N. C., first assaults on Petersburg, siege of Petersburg, Jerusalem plank road, Deep Bottom, Reams' station, Hatcher's run, White Oak road and Farmville. For three months after its organization it was engaged in guarding a section of the Northern Central railroad in Maryland, with headquarters at Cockeysville, and joined the Army of the Potomac at Falmouth immediately after the battle of Fredericksburg. It was assigned to Caldwell's (1st) brigade, Hancock's (1st) division, 2nd corps, and remained with this division throughout its term of service. It suffered severely in its first battle, Chancellorsville, where it lost 31 killed 119 wounded and 14 missing, Col. Beaver being severely wounded early in the engagement. It arrived on the field of Gettysburg on the second day of the battle and took position on the crest to the left of Cemetery hill. It was hotly engaged for about an hour in the afternoon of July 2 at the wheatfield in front of Round Top and then retired to its original position. Its loss was 19 killed, 101 wounded and 5 missing. After the battle it shared in the pursuit of the enemy, and in the Virginia and Mine Run campaigns. On Oct. 29 it received 125 drafted men and towards the middle of November 158 more were added to the ranks. Many of these were good recruits, though a few were worthless and depraved. The command went into winter quarters near Stevensburg, Va., where 120 more recruits were received. It lost only 1 man killed at the Wilderness, as it acted mainly as support to the other troops. It was heavily engaged at the Po river and Spottsylvania, where it lost 31 killed, 235 wounded and 33 missing, a total of 301, the greatest loss inflicted on any infantry regiment at Spottsylvania. Lieut.-Col. Fairlamb was here severely wounded and taken prisoner. In the assault on Petersburg on June 16, Col. Beaver, in command of the 3d brigade, was severely wounded. He rejoined the regiment as the battle of Reams, station was beginning and was again wounded, losing a leg. The 148th was one of the regiments -one from each division being selected- to be armed with breech-loading rifles the selection being made by Gen. Hancock. It was highly commended by Gen. Miles for its gallant conduct at Sutherland's station on the South Side railroad in April, 1865. After sharing in the closing movements of the campaign it returned to the neighborhood of Alexandria, Va., and was there mustered out on June 3, 1865.
Inventory Number: DOC 249 / SOLD