Sharps Carbine - Cartridge Conversion - Inventory Number: RIF 096
The most famous, single-shot, percussion firearm used during the Civil War was the .52 caliber, breechloading carbine invented and patented by Hartford, Connecticut native Christian Sharps. In 1867, over 31,000 of the original Sharps carbines and rifles (of all three styles, NM1859, 1863, 1865) were considered obsolete for government service and were sold or converted to a .56 caliber rimfire.
This carbine conversion specimen was designed to use a rimfire, metallic, self-contained cartridge. Sometimes referred to as the Model 1867, the conversion process started in February 1865 and continued into the early 1870s with various enhancements and modifications. This weapon most likely was part of the October 26, 1867 contract to Sharp’s Rifle Manufacturing Company in Hartford, Connecticut for standard carbine conversions which included a relined bore and a cam-operated firing pin at the breech.
Weapon bears serial #47,600. No original coloring on metal surfaces of the carbine. Manufacturer markings and patent designations are visible but thin on both sides of frame. Sling ring and bar tight. Carbine exhibits crisp mechanics. This Sharps Carbine Conversion Model 1867 makes a handsome addition to any military collection.
Inventory Number: RIF 096