Silk Flag Fragments - Of The National Battle Flag Of The 130th New York Infantry, later the 19th New York Cavalry and then 1st New York Dragoons. With Certificate of Authenticity.
The 130th New York Volunteer Infantry was mustered into service at Portage, New York, by Lt. Col. Thomas J. Thorp in September 1862. Consisting of ten companies, the men were recruited from Allegany, Livingston, and Wyoming counties and placed under the command of Col. Alfred Gibbs.
The regiment left New York on August 6, 1862, and arrived in Suffolk, Virginia, on August 13 where it was assigned to the 1st Division, VII Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The 1st Division was commanded by General Michael Corcoran. The 130th New York was engaged at the Battle of Deserted House and took part in the Siege of Suffolk in April and May 1863.
The regiment was converted to cavalry on July 28, 1863, and designated as the 19th Regiment New York Volunteer Cavalry. The 19th Cavalry was officially re-designated as the 1st Regiment New York Dragoons on September 10, 1863. The 130th New York had the distinction of being the only Union army volunteer regiment which was converted entirely from infantry to cavalry during the Civil War.
During its service, the 1st New York Dragoons fought in 64 battles, captured 19 pieces of artillery and four Confederate battle flags. After marching in the Grand Review at Washington D.C. at the close of the Civil War, the Dragoons were mustered out of service at Cloud’s Mills, Virginia on June 30, 1865.
Inventory Number: FLA 002