Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Silver 19th Corps Badge Identified to Sergeant Charles Wyatt, Co H, 22nd Iowa Volunteers / SOLD

    This item is out of stock

    Silver 19th Corps Badge Belonging to Sergeant Charles C. Wyatt - Company H 22nd Iowa Volunteers.  Corp badge is engraved, "Sept. 18th, 1862, / Vicksburg / Champion's Hill / Sabine X Roads / Jackson / Cedar Creek Winchester / Port Gibson/ July 17, 1865."  Accompanied by a Ulysses S. Grant Civil War Memorial Medallion, issued on the death of US Grant, a fine large silver finish medallion, approximately 2.5" diameter, depicts bust of General Grant, on reverse shows him mounted. Marked "In Memoriam US Grant, 1822-1885, Soldier, President , Citizen, Though to Earth No More, In Our Hearts Forever", reverse marked "Fort Donelson 1862, Vicksburg 1863, Richmond 1865, President 1869-1877, designed by Morgan, and excellent condition, military document -"Roster Tablet", and original Reunion Booklet. 

    Charles C. Wyatt:

    Residence Jefferson IA; 26 years old.

    Enlisted on 8/11/1862 as a 4th Corpl.

    On 8/27/1862 he mustered into "H" Co. IA 22nd Infantry

    He was transferred out on 4/10/1864

    On 4/10/1864 he transferred into Veteran Reserve Corps

    He was Mustered Out on 6/27/1865 at Washington, DC

    He was listed as:

    * Wounded 5/22/1863 Vicksburg, MS

    Other Information:

    Born in New York

    Twenty-second Infantry IOWA (3 years)

    Twenty-second Infantry.  Cols., William M. Stone, Harvey Graham, Lieut.-Cols., John A. Garrett, Harvey Graham, Ephraim G. White; Majs., Harvey Graham, Joseph B. Atherton, Ephraim G. White, John H. Gearkee.

    This regiment was organized in the summer of 1862 and was mustered in Sept. 9.  A few days later it proceeded to Benton barracks, St. Louis, and reached Rolla on the 23rd.  It remained here about four months on garrison duty and train escort.  At West Plains in the latter part of Jan. 1863, it was assigned to the 1st brigade, 1st division, Army of Southeast Missouri, moved to Iron Mountain, and in March to St. Genevieve, where it embarked for Vicksburg.  Its brigade was in the advance at Port Gibson, where the regiment exhibited the same qualities that had been shown by the Iowa regiments that had preceded it.

    It then moved to Mississippi Springs and halted on train guard duty; was in reserve at the battle of Champion's hill; took part in the pursuit which followed and was engaged at the Big Black River; led the column in the assault on Fort Beauregard on the 22nd, accompanied by the 21st Ia. and 11th Wis., Gen. Lawler in command of the brigade.  Col. Stone fell severely wounded, Lieut.-Col. Graham took command and rallied the men who had broken in some disorder.  With about 60 he pressed forward, reached the fort, and planted the colors.  A number, including Sergt. Griffith, entered the fort and captured a number of prisoners, but the position was untenable and the only ones to escape were Sergt. Griffith and Private Trine.  Lieut.-Col. Graham and several men were captured, and the regiment lost 164 in killed, wounded and missing.

    After the surrender of Vicksburg the regiment engaged in the siege of Jackson, being joined by Col. Stone.  After the return from the Jackson campaign Col. Stone resigned, returned to Iowa and was elected governor of the state that fall.  The regiment moved to Carrollton, La., where it was joined by Lieut.-Col. Graham, who had been exchanged.  It engaged in the Bayou Teche expedition; was in several skirmishes; returned to Algiers in November, and embarked for Texas.

    In Jan. 1864, it reached Indianola and went into winter quarters.  Returning to Matagorda island, the regiment remained until the last of April, making an expedition to Port Lavaca, 70 miles distant, where it captured a large quantity of property.  It then returned to Louisiana and with the left wing of the regiment accompanied a force to Fort DeRussy.  It joined the right wing at Baton Rouge in June, when Lieut.-Col. Graham was commissioned colonel, being succeeded by Maj. White as lieutenant-colonel, and the latter by Capt. Gearkee.

    At New Orleans the regiment was assigned to the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, 19th corps, which joined the Army of the James, and remained on duty in the trenches until July 31, when it was ordered to Washington City.  From there it joined Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley, took part in the battle of Winchester, in which the troops fought as long as it was possible to stand before such a fire as met them at every step, finally giving way in temporary confusion which swept away all organization.  Quickly reforming, a second charge was made in which the lost position was regained, the 22nd with thinned ranks coming into formation and fighting with undiminished vigor.  Its loss was 109 in killed, wounded and captured.

    In the pursuit, the regiment was engaged at the battle of Fisher's Hill, marched as far as Mount Crawford in pursuit, went into camp on Cedar Creek in October, where it took part in the battle which ended that campaign.

    In Jan., 1865, it embarked at Baltimore for Savannah, GA, remained there until the middle of March when it sailed to Morehead City, returned in April and moved on the 11th for Augusta, where it performed garrison duty until the middle of June.  It was mustered out July 20, 1865. Its original strength was 952; gain by recruits, 56, total, 1,008.

    Inventory Number: IDE 010 / SOLD