Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Soldier's Escutcheon 42nd Mass and 60th Mass. Infantry

    There is only 1 item left in stock.
    Soldier's Escutcheon, 42nd Mass and 60th Mass. Infantry - Inventory Number: PRI 167

    42nd Mass and 60th Mass. Infantry

    Joseph A. Titus:

    Residence Leicester MA; a 24 year-old Student.

    Enlisted on 8/18/1862 as a 1st Sergeant.

    On 9/30/1862 he mustered into "F" Co. MA 42nd Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 8/20/1863 at Readville, MA

    On 7/20/1864 he was commissioned into "F" Co. MA 60th Infantry

    He was Mustered Out on 11/30/1864 at Indianapolis, IN

     (100 Days)


    * 1st Lieut 7/18/1864 (As of Co. F 60th MA Inf)

    Other Information:

    born in 1838 in Leicester, MA

    Member of GAR Post # 10 (George H. Ward) in Worcester, MA

    Member of GAR Post # 140 (Hubbard V. Smith) in Athol, MA

    died 11/30/1928

    After the War he lived in Worcester, MA



         The 42d Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil. was one of the new militia units raised to fill the quota of Massachusetts under the call of Aug. 4, 1862, for 300,000 men to serve nine months.  Its nucleus was the newly organized 2d Regt. Mass. Vol. Mil.  As there was already a 2d Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. in the service, this new unit was named the 42d Regt. in order to avoid the duplication of numbers.

         The regiment was recruited at Camp Meigs, Readville, Brig.Gen. R. A. Pierce being commander of the camp.  The various companies were mustered in between Sept. 13 and Oct. 14, 1862, while the field and staff were not mustered until Nov. 11. Under command of Col. Isaac S. Burrell the regiment left, Nov. 21, for Camp Banks, Long Island, N. Y., where the expedition for Louisiana was being organized.  Here on the 3d of December it took transports for New Orleans.

         Colonel Burrell and staff with Companies "D", "G" and "I" proceeded on the transport SAXON via Ship Island to New Orleans, reaching that city Dec. 16.  On the following day they arrived at Carrollton and went into quarters at Camp Mansfield. Ordered to Galveston, Texas, to cooperate with the blockading fleet, Colonel Burrell with his three companies arrived at that city on Christmas Day, 1862.  Taking possession of the city and erecting some works for its defense, on New Year's Day, 1863, they were attacked by a force which had crossed over from the mainland.  Taking refuge on Kuhns' Wharf, after a gallant defense Colonel Burrell and his three companies were forced to surrender to the Confederate commander General Magruder.  In recognition of the gallantry with which he had defended his post, Colonel Burrell was allowed to retain his sword.  The enlisted men were paroled Feb. 18, but the officers were not finally released and exchanged until July 22, 1864.     Lieut. Col. Stedman with Companies "A", "B", and "F" on the transport QUINCY reached Camp Mansfield, Carrollton, Dec. 29.  Companies "E" and "K" on the CHARLES OSGOOD arrived Jany.  2, while Companies "C" and "H" on the SHETUCKET did not reach camp until Jany. 15.  The seven companies which now composed the regiment were made a part of Farr's (2d) Brigade, T. W. Sherman's (2d) Division, l9th Corps.

         Captain Leonard with Companies "C " and "H " was employed during the first half of the year 1863 at Camp Parapet, the men serving as engineers and constructing a redoubt at that place. Here Captain Leonard organized a colored regiment largely officered by men from the 42d Mass. and known as the 1st Louisiana Engineers.

         Companies "A", "B", "F", and "K" under command of Lieut.Col. Stedman were sent to Bayou Gentilly a dozen miles northeast from New Orleans and near Lake Ponchartrain.  These companies were detached at various times and assigned to duty at different places.  In June a detachment of 100 men was sent to Brashear City on the Opelousas Railroad and attached to a battalion of the 47th Regiment.  On June 23 the garrison at Brashear City was captured and with it forty-six men of the 42d Regiment.  About June 21 the headquarters of the regiment were transferred to Lafayette Square, New Orleans.  About the 1st of July the regiment was transferred to the Custom House and there remained until the middle of the month when it was moved across the Mississippi River to Algiers and spent a fortnight picketting the Opelousas Railroad.  On Aug. 1 it embarked on the steamer CONTINENTAL bound for home.  After many vicissitudes it reached Boston via Providence, R. I., Aug. 10. Here the men were furloughed until the 20th when they assembled for the last time at Readville where they were paid off and discharged.

    Measures: 19 inches x 22 inches

    *To purchase this item directly with a credit card, please click on this link.

    Inventory Number: PRI 167