"Stanhope" Ivory Cross - Inventory Number: MIS 166
A "Stanhope" is a small glass lens through which a microscope photograph the size of a on head can be seen. The lens allows the image to be seen when held to the light. They were first made in 1859 and were a popular novelty during the Civil War. These are carved ivory, the smaller has the image of St. Anthony of Padua in it. The larger one was found on "Stones River Battlefield 1863". The "Stanhope" is missing. They date to the early1860's.
Comes housed in a 6 x 8 inch display case with black velvet backing and descriptive card.
Inventory Number: MIS 169