The Battle of Gettysburg by Comte De Paris - Inventory Number: HIS 041 / SOLD
The Battle of Gettysburg from the History of the Civil War in America by The Comte De Paris Published by Special Arrangement with the Author. Philadelphia, The John C. Winston Co. The Comte de Paris' account of the battle of Gettysburg is widely acknowledged to be the fairest and most graphic description of the battle ever written. To make the work still more complete, an itinerary of the Army of the Potomac and cooperating forces in the Gettysburg campaign, June and July, 1863, has been carefully revised and enlarged from documents in the possession of the War Department.
1912 Printing - Inscribed July 23rd, 1913 to Samuel Jason Pealer of the 74th and 209th PVI.
Samuel J. Pealer
Enlisted on 8/31/1864 as a Private.
On 8/31/1864 he mustered into "E" Co. PA 209th Infantry
He was discharged on 3/12/1865
Samuel J. Pealer
Enlisted on 3/13/1865 as a Captain.
On 3/13/1865 he was commissioned into "A" Co. PA 74th Infantry
He was discharged on 5/8/1865
PENNSYLVANIA TWO HUNDRED and NINTH INFANTRY (One Year)
Two Hundred and Ninth Infantry. - Col., Tobias B. Kaufman; Lieut.-Col., George W. Frederick; Maj., John L. Ritchey. This regiment, recruited from the counties of Cumberland, York, Cambria, Franklin, Columbia, Adams, Lehigh and Lebanon, rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, Harrisburg, and was mustered into the U. S. service during the first half of Sept., 1864, for a term of one year. Many of the officers and men were veterans in the service. As soon as it was organized it left for Petersburg, Va., and on its arrival was placed at Camp Potter for 2 weeks, when it was stationed on the advanced line to the left of Fort Harrison. A detachment under Capt. Landis was assigned to garrison redoubt Carpenter on the left bank of the James. The regiment here acquired a good state of discipline through the diligence of its officers. During the engagement at Fort Harrison it was ordered upon the parapet, as though about to charge the enemy's flank, while the real charge upon the front was being prepared. In a sudden assault of the enemy on the picket lines, Nov. 17, Col. Kaufman, Capt. Lee, Lieut. Hendricks and 19 men were captured, 1 man was killed and 2 wounded.
A week later it was transferred to the army of the Potomac and assigned to the 1st brigade, 3d division, 9th corps, encamping near Meade Station. The regiment was heavily engaged with its division on March 25, and by its valor materially assisted in the recapture of Fort Stedman, where its loss was 5 killed and 50 wounded. It shared in the final assault on Petersburg, April 2, losing 7 killed and 52 wounded. Among the killed was Capt. McCullough and among the wounded were Maj. Ritchey and Lieutenants Bigler and Shugar. It then moved slowly along the South Side Railroad with its division, having charge of the army trains and repairing the tracks as it went. It rested at Nottoway Court House until the 20th, when it returned to Alexandria. On May 31, 1865, the recruits were transferred to the 51st Pa. and the original members were mustered out.
PENNSLYVANIA 74TH INFANTRY (Three Years)
Seventy-fourth Infantry.-Cols., A. Schimmelpfennig, John Hamm, A. Von Hartung, Gottlieb Hoburg; Lieut.-Cols., Edward Freyhold, John Hamm, A. Von Hartung, Alexander Von Mitzel, Carl Veitenheimer ; Majs., John Hamm, Franz Blessing, A. Von Hartung, Alexander Von Mitzel, Gustav Schleiter, Frederick Klenker, E. P. Rohbach. The 74th regiment, composed of German citizens from the cities of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and the counties of Allegheny, Westmoreland, Indiana, Columbia, Wyoming, Northumberland, Snyder, Union, Adams and Berks, was recruited during the summer of 1861, by a committee of Pittsburgh citizens duly authorized by the war department for that purpose. The recruits were largely trained soldiers, and rendezvoused at Camp Wilkins, near Pittsburgh, where on Sept. 14, 1861, they were mustered into the U. S. service for three years, as the 35th Pa. infantry. Col. Schimmelpfennig had been a Prussian staff officer and was a military man of fine attainments. On Sept. 19, the regiment proceeded to Philadelphia, where it was joined by a large body of recruits under Capt. Von Mitzel. Soon after it was ordered to Washington and a week later to Roach's mills, Va., thence to Hunter's Chapel, where it went into winter quarters. While here Capt. Von Hartung's Philadelphia company, which had been on duty et Fort Delaware, was added to the regiment. The winter was spent in drill, fatigue duty and work on the fortifications. In the spring of 1862 it was ordered with its division to Franklin, W. Va, to reinforce Gen. Fremont, then in command of the Mountain Department, and joined in the pursuit of Stonewall Jackson, being engaged with the enemy for the first time at the battle of Cross Keys, where it lost 6 killed and 14 wounded. After the battle it moved to Mount Jackson and thence to Middletown, was posted at Sperryville, from July 7, to Aug. 8; then moved by forced marches the 40 miles to Cedar mountain but arrived too late for the battle at that point. Falling back with Pope's army, it narrowly escaped being surrounded and captured at Freeman's ford on the Rappahannock by the adroit tactics of its commander, Col. Schimmelpfennig. Its loss here was 12 killed, 2 officers and 35 men wounded, 3 drowned and 16 missing. Col. Schimmelfennig now assumed command of the brigade, Gen. Bohlen having been killed, and the regiment participated with its division under Gen. Carl Schurz in the disastrous battles at Groveton and the second Bull Run. In the Antietam campaign it was at Washington and it later went into winter quarters near Stafford Court House, Va., receiving there a large number of recruits. On the promotion of Col. Schimmelpfennig to brigadier-general, Maj. Von Hartung succeeded to the command of the regiment. The 74th arrived too late to share in the fighting at Fredericksburg, although ordered to the front at that time. As a part of Schimmelpfennig's brigade, Schurz's division, Howard's corps, it was heavily engaged at Chancellorsville, fighting on the second day of the battle with the most determined bravery. When the regiments belonging to the 1st division on the right broke and came rushing through its ranks, causing considerable disorder for a time, the most perfect order was soon restored by Col. Von Hartung. With the other regiments of its brigade it quickly executed a change of front, checked the impetuous advance of the enemy, and held him at bay for over an hour. Its total loss in this battle was 52 killed, wounded and missing. It remained encamped at Stafford Court House until June 12, when it started with its corps for Gettysburg, where it arrived about noon on July 1, and immediately went into action, taking position on the left of the corps, to the right of the Mummasburg road, in front of Dilger's Ohio battery. Its thin line was forced back to Cemetery hill by the overwhelming forces of the enemy. Lieut.-Col. Von Mitzel was again a prisoner, and out of 14 officers and 120 men brought into action, 1 officer and 6 men were killed, 4 officers and 40 men were wounded, and 52 men were reported missing. For the next two days it held its position in front of the batteries stationed in the cemetery, where it was joined by the men who had been detached on picket duty. Its loss here was 1 officer and 8 men killed and 1 officer and 15 men wounded, a total in the battle of 136. On Aug. 7, with the division, it was ordered to Folly island, S. C., arriving there on the 14th. It remained in that vicinity for about a year, making frequent expeditions to other islands and taking part in the engagement on James island in July, 1864, where it was under fire for several days at the time of the grand assault on the works of Charleston. In Aug., 1864, it returned to Washington and garrisoned Forts Marcy and Ethan Allen for a time. In September 130 members whose term of enlistment had expired were mustered out, after which the regiment went to West Virginia, where Cos. G and K and part of the field and staff were mustered out. At Grafton many of the men reenlisted and a large number of recruits joined the regiment, which was from that time employed in guarding the line of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad, with headquarters successively at Green Spring, Beverly, Clarksburg and Parkersburg. It was finally mustered out at Clarksburg on Aug. 29, 1865. The men proceeded to Pittsburgh, where they were finally paid and discharged.
Inventory Number: HIS 041 / SOLD