The Old Libby Prison in Richmond, Virginia - Inventory Number: MIS 058 / SOLD
Libby Prison was built in 1845 by John Endlers in Richmond, VA, and was used as a warehouse. It was located at Carey and 18th Streets and the James River. In March 1862 it was used a military prison by the Confederate Government. In 1864 a group of over 100 Union Officers attempted an escape, over half made their was to freedom, After the was the building was dismantled in 1889 and shipped to Chicago to be used for a Civil War Museum. In 1898 and was again dismantled and a large portion sold to an Indiana farmer who built a stock barn with the timbers and brick. In 1963 the building was torn down and sold to Charles Mercer of Spencer, Indiana who intended to build a museum with he materials. In 1995 the material were sold to Rod Wampler of Gosport, Indiana where they lay until sold at auction in October 2006. The majority of the materials are being returned to Virginia where they will be reconstructed in a famous Civil War museum. This small section of tide cypress originated from a beam from the Libby Prison materials. The photos on the left show Libby as a Confederate prison with the Confederate commander standing in a rare pose in front of the building and a view of the reconstructed Libby interior in Chicago when it was a museum showing the cypress beams.
Nicely framed and ready for display. Frame measures 14 3/4" x 12". Wood measures 4 3/8" x 2 3/4".
Inventory Number: MIS 058 / SOLD