William H. Tipton Photograph of Gettysburg Battlefield from the Zeigler’s Grove Observation Tower - Inventory Number: ALB 261
Large circa 1900 William H. Tipton photograph of the view south of the Zeigler’s Grove observation tower, built in 1896. A great panoramic view with the George G. Meade monument and Big Round Top tower at left and the Codori Farm a right. A nice, clear shot mounted on a 17” by 10 ½” cardboard mat with some chips, wear, and creases along the edge. Tipton’s advertisement decal is still present on the back.
William H. Tipton (1850-1929) was a Gettysburg native and apprentice of the Tyson Brothers photographers as early as 1862. After the war he opened his own studio in Gettysburg and became one of the most well-known photographers in the nation for his battlefield views.