Carved wooden pipe by Francis T. Marter, who enlisted in September 1862 as a private in the 8th Pennsylvania Cavalry. He served through the entire war in every campaign of the Army of the Potomac to Appomattox. The pipe bowl measures 1 ¾” in height and 1 3/8” wide at the mouth and is carved “F.T. / MARTER / 8th / PA / CAVALRY / Co.D.” A simple soldier’s carved pipe that likely saw a great deal of use on many campaigns.
Francis T. Marter - Enlisted on 9/14/1862 as a Private. On 9/14/1862 he mustered into "D" Co. PA 8th Cavalry. He was discharged on 6/14/1865.
PENNSYLVANIA 8TH CAVALRY (89TH Infantry)
Eighth Cavalry.-Cols., David McM. Gregg, Pennock Huey, E. G. Chorman, William A. Corrie Lieut.-Cols., A. E. Griffiths, Samuel Wilson, William A. Corrie, Robert Oldham; Majs., Albert J. Enos, Pennock Huey, William H. Forrest, Peter Keenan, William A. Corrie, Joseph W. Wistar, Robert McCool, Robert Oldham, Benjamin A. Phifer. It was at first intended to equip this regiment-the 89th of the line-as a rifle regiment, but it was afterwards changed to a cavalry organization. It was recruited in Philadelphia and in Lycoming, Bucks and Schuylkill counties, and was. mustered into the U. S. service from July 23, to Sept. 17, 1861, at Philadelphia, for a three years, term. It left the state for Washington on Oct. 4, where it was brigaded with the 3rd Pa. cavalry and spent the winter in tie vicinity of the capital in the performance of various routine duties. On Jan. 17, 1862, the vacancy caused by the retirement of Coil Chorman was filled by the appointment of Capt. David McM. Gregg, of the 6th U. S. cavalry, an experienced officer and a graduate of West Point. In the Peninsular campaign the brigade was enlarged by the addition of the 1st regular cavalry and was attached to the 4th corps. It shared in a light skirmish at New Kent Court House and soon after participated in a severe skirmish near Garnett's house, where it suffered its first losses. It was present at the battle of Fair Oaks and active at Malvern hill. During this campaign companies D, A and B were detached from the regiment on special duties. Upon its arrival at Harrison's landing, Col. Gregg assumed the command of a cavalry brigade which included the 8th, which was employed in heavy picket duties. It moved with Pleasonton's brigade to Yorktown, serving as rear-guard, but returned to Alexandria just after the second Bull Run battle. On Sept. 4, it was sent to Freedom hill, encountering the enemy there, at Sugar Loaf Mountain and Darnestown. On the 12th it entered Frederick and drove out the rear-guard of the enemy's cavalry, securing a number of prisoners. It then moved on a reconnoissance to Gettysburg, captured about 50 more prisoners, and thence marched to the battle-field of Antietam, skirmishing on the Sharpsburg pike on the day after the general engagement. It remained encamped at Sharpsburg for a time, had a sharp engagement with the enemy at Charlestown; and on Oct. 26, as a part of Pleasonton's cavalry, led the advance of the army into Virginia, being engaged in rapid succession with heavy losses at Philomont, Upperville, Aldie, Barbour's cross-roads, Ashby's. gap, Chester gap, Orleans Amissville and Hazel river. It was next assigned to picket duty at the fords of the Rapidan and Rappahannock, and while in the vicinity of Leeds, a squadron under Capt. Wilson, was captured after a spirited resistance. It moved to Fredericksburg on the night before the battle and had one squadron engaged on the following day. When Gen. Bayard fell, Col. Gregg was ordered to assume command of the division and was officially notified on the field of his promotion to brigadier-general. Maj. Huey succeeded to the command of the regiment on June 17, 1862. The regiment now returned to Falmouth and was employed in scout and picket duty along the Rappahannock, going into winter quarters at Acquia creek about the middle of Feb., 1863. While here it was assigned to Col. Devin's brigade of Pleasonton's division, comprising the 8th and 17th Pa. and 6th N. Y. cavalry. On April 21, it embarked upon the Chancellorsville campaign and in the first day's fighting at Chancellorsville suffered heavily in killed, wounded and horses. On May 2nd, it made one of the most gallant charges in the war, winning for itself the following commendation from Gen. Pleasonton: "The distinguished gallantry of the 8th Pa. regiment, in charging the head of the enemy's column, advancing on the 11th corps, on the evening of the 2nd inst., has excited the highest admiration. * * * The gallant McVikar, the generous chivalric Keenan, with 15O killed and wounded from your small numbers, attest the terrible earnestness that animated the midnight conflict of the second of May." After the battle, it moved to Potomac creek and on the 14th to Acquia creek and Falmouth, being engaged in picket duties until the Gettysburg campaign. It was in action at New Market,.losing 15 killed and wounded, and as part of the 2nd brigade, 2nd cavalry division, it moved on the 30th to Westminster, thence to Hanover Junction and on July 4, to Emmitsburg, where it joined the command of Gen. Kilpatrick, crossed South mountain and assisted in the capture of 250 wagons and 600 prisoners of the enemy's wagon train. During the next few days it was engaged in constant skirmishing in the vicinity of Boonesboro and Jones' crossroads. Returning to Virginia, it was engaged in guard and picket duty on the Manassas railroad and at Thoroughfare gap, and in August it became a part of the 1st brigade commanded by Gen. J. Irvin Gregg. In the campaign which followed, the regiment was heavily engaged at Sulphur springs, and was again in action two days later at Bristoe Station. In the advance to Mine Run it was sharply engaged at New Hope Church and on its return went into winter quarters at Bealeton Station. During the winter it engaged in the raids into the Luray valley and through Chester gap. Most of the men reenlisted at this time and were given veteran furloughs by battalions. Upon the opening of the Wilderness campaign the 8th participated in the various movements and battles of Sheridan's corps, losing about 100 men on the Richmond raid, 25 at Haw's shop, and 35 at Trevilian Station. At St. Mary's Church, Gregg's division was attacked by superior numbers, and the 8th again lost heavily, Col. Huey and Capt. Piggott being captured and some 40 men being killed, wounded or missing. On July 1, it crossed the James with its division, moved to Blackwater, and was engaged on picket duty until the 26th, on the Jerusalem plank road. It then crossed the Appomattox and the James; was in action at Malvern hill, and again on the Charles City road. About two weeks later it was again engaged at Charles City road and in August was in action the whole day at Yellow tavern where Lieut.-Col. Wilson was among the wounded, and the command devolved on Maj. Wistar. The regiment was now reduced to about 200 men fit for duty. At Reams' station, on Aug. 23, Maj. Wistar was among the wounded and the command devolved on Capt. Alex. McCallum, all its field officers having been killed, wounded or captured. It participated in the cavalry operations during the siege of Petersburg and in the spring of 1865, moved with Sheridan to Five Forks, participating in a brilliant campaign which resulted in the surrender of Lee, after which the 8th was ordered to Lynchburg and consolidated with the 16th Pa. cavalry on July 24. It was finally mustered out with that organization on Aug. 11, 1865, at Richmond.
Inventory Number: SCU 067