Mid-19th century Belgian double-barrel boot pistol with a Liege “ELG” proof mark on the lock. The frame is iron with leaf engraving. Both screw off barrels are smoothbore with false rifling cut into the first half inch of the muzzles. Both hammers hold and function in half and full cock. The wooden grip has an inlaid brass plaque engraved “W Irwin.” Overall length of the pistol is 7 3/8”. An old typewritten tag attached to the trigger guard reads “Carried by Capt. W.H. Irwin QM Dept. VA. Vols.” William H. Irwin was a prominent businessman who operated a wharf and warehouses in Alexandria. He was commissioned as a Captain and quartermaster of the provisional army of Virginia on May 3rd, 1861. Shortly thereafter he received a commission in the provisional army of the Confederate States and assigned duty at Culpepper Court House, VA. In April 1862 he was assigned to duty at Charlottesville, VA. He served throughout the war but was relieved in February 1865 after being found incompetent by board of examiners. A nice, identified Confederate carried weapon that opens the door for further research.
Inventory Number: HAN 190 / SOLD