The Great Elm stood at the center of the Boston Common until February 15, 1876. The earliest maps of the area only showed three trees, one of which was the Great Elm. The other two trees, one of which was most likely the famed Liberty Tree, had been lost long before the Great Elm finally fell in the nineteenth century. Up to that point, the elm symbolized the Boston Common's landscape since—an early advocate for urban improvement asserted—the figure represented the finest example of "the favorite ornamental tree among us." The Great Elm's popularity inspired broader environmental efforts within the region. The tree was likely over 100 years old when it became full grown in 1722. The 6 ½” piece of tree branch retains an old typewritten paper label with the history of the Great Elm. An interesting piece of Boston History.
Inventory Number: MIS 153 / SOLD